Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What exactly is not working?   You have the Kies 1.53 version, and the original USB cable plugged in?

Wheh you do that, on the phone, you are asked to press the button that says connect to Kies AND you have to shut off the bluetooth...

Do you get to that point?

I Plan to Stick Around

I upgraded to 2.2, but my phone was booting very slowly and didn't run that well.

So I did a "clean install" of 2.2 and it works fine.

I'd suggest doing the clean install.  Just get a program to backup your apps and settings and then restore them after the install.  It's pretty quick and painless.

I Plan to Stick Around

How did you redo a "clean install"

I'm Here A Lot

@PeterC wrote:

Hey all,

I've notice after update to 2.2 with Kies my phone seems to be slower. Swiping across home screen screens is slower and the animation isn't as smooth. Transitioning to the applicaiton menu and swiping through the list is slow choppy. I even noticed the game Alchemy was laggy. Especially when there was a lot of things onscreen. This never happened when I had 2.1.

When I first got my phone everything was buttery smooth and 2.2 seem to ruin all of that. Is there any way to get it back to 2.1 without resorting to warrently voiding methods? Will Rogers be able to do it for me?

Also, Flash is worthless. It's choppy and unusable.

That happenned to me too. I even thought about trying to downgrade to 2.1 (which I haven't found out how to do :).

But then when I decided to wipe out all the user data using the following steps, everything became fast again (even faster than 2.1). I advise you to do the same:

PLEASE NOTE, THIS WILL WIPE OUT EVERYTHING (CONFIG, CONTACT, USE DATA) FROM THE PHONE AND PUT EVERYTHING BACK TO FACTORY DEFAULT. PLEASE BACKUP ANY DATA YOU FIND ESSENTIAL BEFORE PROCEEDING

1) Backup your data contact list, SMS messages if needed using Google Sync or Backup utility (or any other utilities of your choice)

2) Power off the phone by holding the Power button and choose Power Off from the popup menu

3) When the phone is off, hold down both volume up and volume down button then hold the power button until the screen is turn on, release the buttons. The display should show a multicolor screen with a menu in which you can choose to wipe user data and cache data.

4) Wipe both user data and cache then restart the phone by choosing reboot.

Now your phone will reboot with the factory default for Froyo 2.2.

Reinstall all your apps and restore your backup data and everything should run smoothly afterward.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I've Been Here Awhile

@psyfactor wrote:

That happenned to me too. I even thought about trying to downgrade to 2.1 (which I haven't found out how to do :).

But then when I decided to wipe out all the user data using the following steps, everything became fast again (even faster than 2.1). I advise you to do the same:

PLEASE NOTE, THIS WILL WIPE OUT EVERYTHING (CONFIG, CONTACT, USE DATA) FROM THE PHONE AND PUT EVERYTHING BACK TO FACTORY DEFAULT. PLEASE BACKUP ANY DATA YOU FIND ESSENTIAL BEFORE PROCEEDING

1) Backup your data contact list, SMS messages if needed using Google Sync or Backup utility (or any other utilities of your choice)

2) Power off the phone by holding the Power button and choose Power Off from the popup menu

3) When the phone is off, hold down both volume up and volume down button then hold the power button until the screen is turn on, release the buttons. The display should show a multicolor screen with a menu in which you can choose to wipe user data and cache data.

4) Wipe both user data and cache then restart the phone by choosing reboot.

Now your phone will reboot with the factory default for Froyo 2.2.

Reinstall all your apps and restore your backup data and everything should run smoothly afterward.

I had already tried that. It's strange, the Froyo update seemed to have made the screen and UI less responsive and all animations/transitions choppy.

Even though the update isn't supported by Rogers, does anyone know if they have any sort of service that will reflash my phone to the stock 2.1 it came with when I first bough it?

I'm Here A Lot

Ok so my captivate is starting to act up. Ive noticed that in addition to the google location service not working at all, when i transfer files to my sd card, im getting a 0x80070057 error saying the parameters are incorrect. Ive formated the internal sd card twice (didnt work) and tried clearing all user data (didnt work). Anyone have any ideas?

I've Been Around

I had the exact same problem when transfering files after upgrading to froyo. Even though it showed that I had 10gb free on the internal sd, I was only able to transfer over a further 57mb before that error popped up. Simply choosing media player mode when plugging in the usb instead of mass storage mode solved the problem for me.

I Plan to Stick Around

Another APP that isnt working properly since 2.2 is the Clock - When I use the alarm it alarms in the morning but the screen button to shut it off doesnt work. I have the hit the back button or home screen for the ALARM TO TURN OFF. Again like I say this isint supported by Roger's. They just give you the Samsung phone # and Samsung just gives you a Rogers work order # and tells you to bring your phone to a Rogers store and leave it there so it can be sent out for repair. Wonderful!!!

I am thinking of wiping the apps off as I have a large number of apps installede and wonder if the problem might be incompatibility of some apps with 2.2 which is causing some of my keyboard problems on some screens. So far:

1) SWYPE option - cant turn it on and cant deselect any options on SWYPE options, they are all locked and selected as ON and the page is frozen wont scroll up or down

2) CLOCK - Alarm off button is frozen and wont turn off - you must exit the screen for it to shut off.

I Plan to Stick Around

funny everything on mine is 100% or better,,,

no more shutdowns,,,

gps A1

clock alarm works fine,, ou swipe now instaed of hold down to shut off or snooze,,

i dont use swype i dont like it

i still think it needs loaded with a xp computer,, kies doesnt seem to like win7