Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well I have now updated my second Captivate.  It went flawlessly.

One little bit of advice, make sure the sliding door that covers the USB port is completly open.  Otherwise the USB cable does not sit very well, and can fall out.

Don't ask me how I know.

skunk
I Plan to Stick Around

Only thing I notice that is broken with the update is the Social Hub.

If you update it from Samsung Apps, as soon as you power off/ reboot the phone it force closes and won't open.

Don't update it from Samsung Apps and use the installed version and it works fine.

piperapper
I Plan to Stick Around

I saw that there was an update and went to kieys and updated. very frustrating as I had to put the phone in recovery mode. Eventually I got the update and all went well until today. I went to change my text input settings to SWYPE and then the phone started vibrating. I tried to fix the problem and the back key was freezing. I couldn't change the SWYPE option to disable  Vibrate when text is entered. When I tried this the phone just kept vibrating every 15 second or so even when I dont touch the screen or the buttons. 

The only way to reset it is to pull the battery. When you go to settings and text and to SWYPE the option for Vibrate is default for entering SWYPE text and it cant be turned off. The vibrating starts.

Other than that the update seems fine

The other issue is that when I went to support on the rogers site the tech told me the update was unofficial and Rogers does not support it and to call Samsung.

He told me that Rogers would send an e-mail when the update was official.

I told him that my BB would tell me there was an update when I hooked it up to the BB Messenger software on my computer which is what happend when I hookd my Captivate up to Kieys. It told me an update was available for the firmware. I never had that message before so I thought the update was official.

THE UPDATE IS NOT APPROVED OR SUPPORTED BY ROGERS!!

DONT UPDATE UNTIL ROGERS EMAILS YOU!

Then maybe Rogers help you. Until then for all of us that did update through Samsung Kieys, if you have a problem call Samsung!!

piperapper
I Plan to Stick Around

I just tried it again after resetting the phone by pulling the battery. When I turn the phone back on all is well until I go to text input options in the SETTINGS menu. SWYPE has all the boxes checked off for options and all are LOCKED. You cannot change any SWYPE options. Has anyone else tried this and had this issue with Froyo 2.2? Does your phone start vibrating too when you enter the entering text options?

The Pinch & Zoom doesnt seem to work as well in 2.2 either! The response time is slower. The web content works much better with the 10.1 Adobe flash!!

More colour on the screens when in settings mode

Not all bad.

Just Rogers support is verrryyy disappointing .

The tech ended the support session in the middle of a chat session. I thought that was very unprofessional and left my opinion on the comments section after the support chat was over.

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

piperapper,

I have issues as well with this upgrade, but nothing like yours.  Swype seems to work fine.  If you don't have any important data (or if you have backed it up), I suggest (as was suggested to me in this forum) to reboot into recovery mode and erase all user data.  Made a difference for me.

In any case, I also got second confirmation from Rogers tech that this is "unofficial" which is utter garbage.  This was a release for our specific phone that is locked and sold only by Rogers (SGH-i896).  Rogers must have known about this.  So some group in the Rogers/Samsung alliance has dropped the ball.  Since Rogers won't own up to this, my disappointment is focused mainly on them.  I too had the Rogers rep finalize the chat on me mid way and also left negative feedback.

I was told by second rep however, that they will notify us on our phones when the "official" Rogers update is released.  This is disaster, Rogers should have an official word about this other than "no support".  At least offer a way to roll back if need be.

Good luck to all of us with this update and with dealing with Rogers.

piperapper
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Zizo0727!

Before i try to erase data. I try to save my data to the SD card or to the sim card for phone #s. Should I send all my apps etc to the SD card before I erase the data and what exactly gets erased when I choose this option?

krynjir
I've Been Around

Well I updated my Captivate to Froyo last night.. it runs smooth after it reboots.    If you download any apps and the notification stops sliding down, i had to reboot my phone again.  After that, it worked again.  I should have came here first before doing the update.  that was my bad.

Some say Rogers will send out an email when an official one is out?  I doubt it will come as i've had issues from the get go when i got the Captivate.  First they gave me a voice-only plan when i wanted a smartphone plan.  Took 2hrs to get them to switch it to the smartphone plan, this was only 5hrs after getting the phone.  Second, they screw up and removed all the features I had before.  I've been with Rogers for over 10 yrs and they tell me I'm a new customer and if I want any features, i'll have to pay full price for everything.   Third, Rogers was having a promotion w/ their smartphone plans, yet no rep knew about it.   Funny as there were ads everywhere for that promotion ( bus stops, newspaper, tv, etc ) .  Guess communication within the company is lacking since why have a promotion where none of their employees knows about.

Anyway, sorry to steer off topic for a bit.  I don't have any issues ( yet ) with the update.  What i like is the 'Data Network Mode' option when you hold down the power button as you can turn off the Data Network when you're sleeping since you're not using your phone.  You can still receive phone calls, just that you won't be using up you data plan with those programs running in the background.   I don't really need to be up-to-date on things while I'm asleep.

Once i wake up, i just turn on Wi-Fi and update my facebook, weather, etc..   Only need the 'Data Network' if its Rogers related like 'My Account' or android Market, etc.

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

piperapper,

You're welcome.  Erase user data will remove all contacts and apps and deletes cache files too.  So it restores the phone to factory status which is recommended with such a major release.

I am new to the Android and Galaxy world, so I know it is possible to back apps up, just not sure exactly how.  But I will do my best to help you.  Contacts you can backup with Samsung Kies and sync it to outlook (you can also save it to text file on your PC).  Apps is more tricky, I think there is an app called Titanium Backup on the market that will backup apps, but it requires root.  So you may have to do your own search there or possibly, if you don't have many apps then reinstall them manually.  Apps you bought can be re-downloaded from market.

I hope this helps.  Good luck, have fun.  

piperapper
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks againZizo0727!

I might wait to erase all my data as the rest of the phone is working well. Just the SWYPE option wont turn on and the phone starts vibrating. I've got it so when I get out of the settings for text input it stops vibrating so that is a plus!

I'll wait and see if Roger's comes out with an official release soon. Maybe try and update again with that release.

It really is a shame how Roger's has handled this upgrade!! I hope future communications between Roger's and Samsung is improved. I just updated the Kies to 2.0 and hope when the official update happens it will work better. I'll try and do a backup of apps in the Kies program.

Thanks again!

Dennishwc
I'm Here A Lot

Hey everyone

So with all this confusion about the froyo update, i decided to call rogers tech support. I told him that when i plugged my captviate in, kies would alert me that a firmware update was available but that i was not sure if it was official or not. The guy i spoke to told me that since kies automatically detects what phone you have and what provider you are with that it IS official and that it was ok for me to do the update. He told me, however, that since I am doing it through samsung's software, if i have any problems i need to contact them directly. he also gave me this number to call samsung in case i had questions or wtv. 1-800-726-7864. I ended up putting froyo on and its running great, no problems/lag as of yet. Anyway i hope that helps. i guess if you have any doubts you should just contact rogers directly