Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rocketman
I've Been Here Awhile

I made the same mistake- use Kies 1.5.3 -- 2.0 does not support captivate (get it here- click on the "software" tab: http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/all-phones/SGH-I896ZKARWC/index.idx?pagetype...  I made another couple of mistakes- when asked to put the phone on download mode, make sure you are not pressing on the power button at the same time.  You should get the android icon with a shovel, but make sure you are plugging in the usb with the up and down buttons depressed.  After that, if Kies does not recognize the phone, un/replug the USB cable a couple of times.

I found the update process a pain, but finally, the result is good.  I mostly upgraded to be able to edit google docs.  The rest of the updates were not that crucial for me. I don't notice a huge improvement in performance- it certainly does not seem to be worse.

RR

Twitch
I've Been Around

After finding out today that it was possible to get Froyo on there 'legit'... I jumped right onto it... ran into the same troubles listed here by everyone... switched to another computer that never had Kies installed. Downloaded most recent version, phone upgraded without a problem, none of the after-update issues that have been mentionned either.

Overall, even though the update procress took me 3.5 hours, I am satisfied with this firmware.

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

hats off to samsung for taking the bulls by the horns,, and releasing the update,,,

now a sub par phone is more level and stable.,,

rogers if you are the hold back of update,, shame on you,,

android is about open source,,

lets open the source and rock and roll,, this phone is capable of so much more,,,

certianly funny how the rogers spokespeople seem to have run and hid,,,

WarChilD
I've Been Around

Tried like 10 times last night with old kies! always the nice; cant switch to upgrd mode whatever...this morning ! see your msg...download the kies 2.0 + .net framework .4. Get home, instal everything...kies doesnt sync with my Captivate...hummm? drivers has to be instal. no worries! instal them...bammmm synced with message; This device will be supported soon.

Mouhahahahahahahahahahhaha!!! I thought I was over with that @$?!#? when I sold my X10 😞

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences and keeping this thread updated.  The way Rogers are dismissing this is disgusting.

A User Data clear (just make sure you backup contacts/apps) is defintely important so thanks for that nigelncwong.  Also thanks to caldigital and fotomickey for their responses and help.

I want to share that it seems my download manager (and gallery) CPU hogging issue could have been related to my external SD card.  It is an 8 gig card that had a lot of stuff on it.  When I removed it, my phone was a lot more zippy.  So it seems the download manager and gallery are busy accessing this card (although Android doesn't show its media scanning). 

By removing the card, the phone worked better.  However, this doesn't absolve Samsung or Rogers, since I should be able to plug in my card with pics and music.

As part of my experimentation, I discovered something interesting.  With 2.1 image, the CPU governor settings default to 800 Mhz on average (also on idle).  However with 2.2, this average is 400 Mhz.  The governor also very quickly throttles down to 200 Mhz.  It also quickly throttles to 800 Mhz.  So in idle mode, my CPU runs at 400 Mhz which is why there is such an improvement to battery life.  However, it means that when you bring the phone back from sleep and try to slide pages or apps, it takes a sec for the CPU to throttle itself up to acceptable speed.  So the first time you bring the phone up from idle it may lag, but that should go away after the first action.

While this would help battery life, I liked the zippy-ness of the 2.1 firmware.

I am still skepticle of this update and don't recommend users to upgrade just yet.  If I could downgrade, I definitely would.

Let's see what Rogers has to say about this in the coming days..... although given their current attitude I wouldn't hold my breath.

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around

I have to admit Roger's silence about the update even in their own forum is disturbing. Even an acknowledgement of the update yay or nay would be appreciative.
skunk
I Plan to Stick Around

Does this mean there will be another update to follow in the coming weeks?

nimbusgti
I've Been Here Awhile

I called Rogers tech support and asked about the froyo update. The rep said it is an official rogers update as of today. He emailed me a zip file that contains the instructions to upgrade the phone. There is nothing in the instructions that has not been posted here.

Cram
I'm Here A Lot

Interesting.

Well until Rogers and Samsung update their websites and/or something is posted on the redboards and some reps actually acknowledge this updates existance, I'm gonna sit back and wait.

Seems like somewhat good news anyway, thanks bimbusgti

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

wait for its exsitance??

its there,, and it works better then 2.1

just a pain to load,,,

whatever is going on at rogers is utter nonesense,,

and now has confirmed my desire to leave them when contract is up..