northy
I Plan to Stick Around

ok Rogers,, times up,, where the . is this update,,, losing faith here,,

***edited labels***

241 REPLIES 241

Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

nigelncwong
I Plan to Stick Around
it will have the old market at first but it will be updated in the background and the new market would come up. You don;t need to update manually

JB
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks for the info!

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi JB

I think the Market App  &  many other apps  were outdated (possible it was Sept/Oct  package) ,  due to the  delay of Rogers  2.2 release.  But once you login  Market couple time it will update itself,  and get the new look

To  further  confirm  FB  Pet-Society will not run, I think its too big to fit on the limit Phone memory

Howvever,  CBC  &  Flash  Video  will run  & can be enlarge to full screen mode as well,  it  seem running smoothly.

The boot  Roger  loading logo is gone ,  while  "S"  logo will take longer to go away (boot time approx same as before)

Lagging issue were less noticable  compare to 2.1 (glad)

Sme67
I've Been Around

After I've installed Kies 2.0.0.1011_16 and the device drivers using Keis, it shows the device connecting and then informs me that "This device will be supported soon".

Has anyone else encountered this?

Cram
I'm Here A Lot

Oh man...

So not an official update is it? So that basically means if my phone dies, for any reason, after installing 2.2, Roger's has the FULL right to tell me that they won't replace my phone. It's more or less right there in the fine print.

Lovely.

xaki
I've Been Around

I imagine you would be covered as the update is coming right from Samsung. Not like you are rooting and using a custom ROM.

If Samsung tells you that there is a firmware update available and lets you do the update how are you supposed to determine if it is "official" or not...?

You would think that Rogers would have to sign off on any updates before they are made available hence the reason we have had such a long wait in the first place..

JB
I Plan to Stick Around
fotomickey: I find it boots faster and I still see the Roger loading logo... does seem to be faster overall as well.

Cram/xaki: the reason the update was delayed was due to Rogers testing and finding a bug in it - so I'm assuming at some point in the chain Rogers approved the Samsung release... again, I'm just assuming 😉 but I agree with xaki - you should be covered no problem. Besides, no one from Rogers who have replied to 2.2 release threads have indicated you won't be.

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Agree JB,  Roger screen does flash for 1/2 second...  and then went on boot sequence.

and does notice marginal quicker boot

Had  my 1st freezed-up  while doing multiple apps downloads, hope 2.2 will give fewer crashes or shutdown.

Next will see how well the battery life is.

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

Gang,  I am amongst those that successfully completed the update.  I definitely do not recommend the update to any new comers to this thread, not yet, it isn't worth it.

Although the Kies software was updated and clearly notifies you of an update for the Rogers specific model of phone (i.e. SGH-I896), be aware that Rogers considers this unoffical and unsupported.  A rogers tech confirmed this and was very adamant about it not being supported.  He just didn't want to help my anymore after I told him I updated.  Very unprofessional.  I didn't root, I didn't flash, everything stock.

The phone is not running smooth.  Is anyone else having lag issues?  More specifically, the "Download Manager" task sucks up 80% of my CPU.  The "Gallery" task also sucks up 50%.  Even when I haven't launched or used it, it consistently uses up 50% of CPU.  I have to manually stop it as well as Download Manager.  The phone is very sluggish when this happens.

Rogers won't even listen to me even though Samsung has released this load by legal and valid means.  We had no way to know Rogers wouldn't support this.  In any case, is anyone else seeing the abnormally high CPU use I am?  Hint, a good app to monitor this is "Usage Timeline", its free on the market.

I am curious to see if anyone got negative effects as I have,

Thanks everyone for posting your experiences and hopefully our questions get answered soon by Rogers and Samsung

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around

I have had no lag or CPU issues since updating.  Battery life is fantastic as well.

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

caldigital,

thanks for the response.  Did you do a firmware reset of your phone after the upgrade?  If you don't mind, would you post your free RAM?  If you wish we can continue this off the forum on GoogleTalk or something.  I just want to do a comparison and see if there is something strange on my phone.

I appreciate your help and am honestly glad you are seeing the benefit of Froyo,

nigelncwong
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Z,

Did you wipe your user data?  I think that helps a lot.  You may have some old apps clashing with the new update.

Mine wouldn't even start until I got into recovery mode and wipe user data.

I have since rooted and lagfixed and it is quite smooth but not as smooth as 2.1 lagfixed.

nimbusgti
I've Been Here Awhile
It would be really nice if a rogers rep could post about this update on kies. When is an official update coming out. Will this update void my warranty. This is getting ridiculous. All I ask is that a rogers rep please post up some info.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Add me to the people whos update is working well.

Yes I got the "failed to go into update mode", but I rebooted and followed the instructions on Kies.   Power down with USB plugged in and while holding down the Vol up/dn button.   Got the green guy with the shovel, and Kies connected....

A pocket full of NEXT and well it just seems to be working great.   Skype?  Working.   Flash 10.1?  Working...

Everything seems faster... Also I think I am smarter, and better looking....

Nice upgrade.

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around

Z,

I didn't do any resets when upgrading.  Mind you my device is only a week old! Ha...  So might be something to try.

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey  Zizo0727 

Good advise to hold off for the in-experience,  it is not easy to upgrade Kies (very buggy)  and...

Definately communication problem between Rogers / Samsung  1st the delay now the denial on the offical 2.2 release.

Interenal  communication within Rogers properly very confused too (have anyone seen any Rogers offical comments in this forum for past few days  ?)

FYI,   I also   delete  all user data  (Vol + Power  booting) before I can sucessfully  upadate to 2.2

rocketman
I've Been Here Awhile

I made the same mistake- use Kies 1.5.3 -- 2.0 does not support captivate (get it here- click on the "software" tab: http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/all-phones/SGH-I896ZKARWC/index.idx?pagetype...  I made another couple of mistakes- when asked to put the phone on download mode, make sure you are not pressing on the power button at the same time.  You should get the android icon with a shovel, but make sure you are plugging in the usb with the up and down buttons depressed.  After that, if Kies does not recognize the phone, un/replug the USB cable a couple of times.

I found the update process a pain, but finally, the result is good.  I mostly upgraded to be able to edit google docs.  The rest of the updates were not that crucial for me. I don't notice a huge improvement in performance- it certainly does not seem to be worse.

RR

Twitch
I've Been Around

After finding out today that it was possible to get Froyo on there 'legit'... I jumped right onto it... ran into the same troubles listed here by everyone... switched to another computer that never had Kies installed. Downloaded most recent version, phone upgraded without a problem, none of the after-update issues that have been mentionned either.

Overall, even though the update procress took me 3.5 hours, I am satisfied with this firmware.

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

hats off to samsung for taking the bulls by the horns,, and releasing the update,,,

now a sub par phone is more level and stable.,,

rogers if you are the hold back of update,, shame on you,,

android is about open source,,

lets open the source and rock and roll,, this phone is capable of so much more,,,

certianly funny how the rogers spokespeople seem to have run and hid,,,

Tried like 10 times last night with old kies! always the nice; cant switch to upgrd mode whatever...this morning ! see your msg...download the kies 2.0 + .net framework .4. Get home, instal everything...kies doesnt sync with my Captivate...hummm? drivers has to be instal. no worries! instal them...bammmm synced with message; This device will be supported soon.

Mouhahahahahahahahahahhaha!!! I thought I was over with that @$?!#? when I sold my X10 😞

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences and keeping this thread updated.  The way Rogers are dismissing this is disgusting.

A User Data clear (just make sure you backup contacts/apps) is defintely important so thanks for that nigelncwong.  Also thanks to caldigital and fotomickey for their responses and help.

I want to share that it seems my download manager (and gallery) CPU hogging issue could have been related to my external SD card.  It is an 8 gig card that had a lot of stuff on it.  When I removed it, my phone was a lot more zippy.  So it seems the download manager and gallery are busy accessing this card (although Android doesn't show its media scanning). 

By removing the card, the phone worked better.  However, this doesn't absolve Samsung or Rogers, since I should be able to plug in my card with pics and music.

As part of my experimentation, I discovered something interesting.  With 2.1 image, the CPU governor settings default to 800 Mhz on average (also on idle).  However with 2.2, this average is 400 Mhz.  The governor also very quickly throttles down to 200 Mhz.  It also quickly throttles to 800 Mhz.  So in idle mode, my CPU runs at 400 Mhz which is why there is such an improvement to battery life.  However, it means that when you bring the phone back from sleep and try to slide pages or apps, it takes a sec for the CPU to throttle itself up to acceptable speed.  So the first time you bring the phone up from idle it may lag, but that should go away after the first action.

While this would help battery life, I liked the zippy-ness of the 2.1 firmware.

I am still skepticle of this update and don't recommend users to upgrade just yet.  If I could downgrade, I definitely would.

Let's see what Rogers has to say about this in the coming days..... although given their current attitude I wouldn't hold my breath.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!