northy
I Plan to Stick Around

ok Rogers,, times up,, where the . is this update,,, losing faith here,,

***edited labels***

241 REPLIES 241

Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting.  I did it on a Windows 7 64-bit machine no probs.

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

its now downloading binary files,, further then i could get with win7  will let you all know,,

@caldigital wrote:

Interesting.  I did it on a Windows 7 64-bit machine no probs.

nice... I stayed at work just so I wouldnt have to go home to my 64-bit.  Good to know.

Upgrade works fine.

A few things you should do if you have problems....

1) Reinstall drivers

2) Reinstall Keis (1.5XXX) (2.0 DOES NOT SUPPPORT i896)

3) Make sure you understand the difference between recovery mode and download mode (do no press power!!)

SyanTk
I'm Here A Lot

oh ya.. and touchwiz

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

actually upgrading now with windows xp,,, the little droid with the shovel is on my phones screen

seems from what i have googled ,, lots of probs with win7 go figure

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around
Kies is a .NET 4 app so may require some MS updates?

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

im now running 2.2,,,

hopefully phone works better

and gps works,,,

loaded with xp

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

did that update,,,

still MSC.Thunder.Firmwareupdate has stopped working error

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around

After upgrading I found in the Samsung Apps that there is a camera firmware upgrade in their.  Downloaded and performed no problems.

skunk
I Plan to Stick Around

Had to download the latest version of Kies.

Windows 7 x64 upgraded successfully.

I though 2.2 the home screen can rotate with the stock launcher? Doesn't seem to.

Cram
I'm Here A Lot

I'm somewhat surprised how gungho everyone is about getting this update immediately now that it's on Kies...

It was Samsung and Google that destroyed so many Vibrants, why suddenly trust everythings ok even though Samsung stated they are aware of the issues plaguing the Vibrant. There's no official confirmation anywhere that states this update on the Captivate has the SDCard problem fixed, for all we know some Samsung employee accidentally threw on a test-build onto Kies accidentally. It's not even on Samsungs official Froyo page yet. No one has actually announced anything about it yet.

I'm in no rush to update, going to wait a week or two and get some real longterm use feedback. Just because you got Froyo running right now doesn't mean that suddenly tomorrow your phone is dead, or that you are unable to reboot your phone because again it is dead.

Don't get me wrong, please. I hope for the best for everyone and I hope you continue to post your experiences on this board. I've gone flashfree/skypefree for 3 months now, I can wait another week or two. The hassle of dealing with a replacement for me right now just isn't worth the risk.

pigdog22
I've Been Around

Hello All

Had all the problems as well but then realized I had programms running in backround, make sure to shut off all applications, went smooth after that!!!!

alichemeng
I've Been Here Awhile

Guys,

I dunno what is wrong here. I tried to upgrade. and after downloading it says upgrading has started for coupld of minutes, then it stops and says unable to start upgrading mode.

did anybody have this problem?

that's with latest virsion of Kies and windows 7 64 bit.

UPDATE

=======

the Kies version was misleading: the firmwire upgrade window said do not connect the device and something was preventing the other window that shows the instruction of how to put the device in the download mood, which contains that the device should be connected, turned off, and connected again while holding the volume up and down keys together.

download completed now, and device is rebooting

I updated the firmware thru kies put the phone in download mode then connected it went to the galaxy S logo and now its jus black screen and the phone vibrates every few seconds ????? 

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Finally getting 2.2 ,  upgrade with latest Kies

It didn't went smooth at all, even with latest Kies

my PC always takes long time to connect  Captivate USB

This problem gets in the way on this update...  It  was a big stuggle to get Kies to reconnect on the DOWNLOAD-mode my heart suck  a few time.  It is definite not  user friendly

After the update flash 10.1 is working,  for  demanding flash games like FB pet society it won't load (need bigger memory ?)

CBC news video is now working

GPS  as Northy says is  way faster & accruate  so  is USB  connect seem to recognize & transfer quicker

Thanks for update tips from all you folks  (it help a lot).

Holmes108
I Plan to Stick Around

Just some more info for people having trouble.

The newest version of keys gave me errors. So I used a version from a couple of weeks ago (1.53.10103_102). I was getting stuck at the "failed to switch to upgrade mode" error. (Win7 64bit)

The next time you connect your phone, Kies should give you a message that the upgrade failed and to "click here" to restore your firmware.

This is the option you need. Kies doesn't force this, it gives you the option to just try and install the update normally again, but the restore seems to be the only option that works.

Click restore, follow the prompts and put your phone into download mode, and voila. Others have mentioned this solution already.... but the key for me was to NOT TO PUT THE PHONE INTO DOWNLOAD MODE UNTIL KIES ASKS. Previously I'd put the phone into download mode, and then click on the "restore firmware" option, or before I'd hit "next", or "proceed" or whatever, I was going into download mode. But Kies wouldn't recognize my phone. By chance, I tried one last time, AFTER KIes was already asking for download mode (I think it called it recovery mode) and gives you instructions on screen (hold Vol +/- etc) only THEN, did I put it into download mode and it recognized my phone and did the install no problem.

Also, after upgrading to Froyo, I've had problems with apps crashing, the phone randomly vibrating, etc etc A factory reset didn't help... several others have shared these issues on the XDA forums:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=902336

Many are suggesting going into recovery mode (NOT download mode) while still on 2.1 and wiping user data/cache before updating.

I''ve just wiped my data/cache (AFTER installing Froyo) hoping it fixes my issues. I haven't had enough time to test this yet. If not, I'm going to have to downgrade, wipe, reinstall, and hope that helps.

Good luck if you're having trouble.

Edit: and for those that don't know:

Download Mode: Power off, hold Vol - and Vol + and plug in USB cable (don't touch the power button). Will bring up yellow android symbol and say "downloading"

Recovery Mode: Power off, hold Vol- and Vol+ and hit power. It will bring up a menu that allows you to wipe, format, etc...

I've successfully upgraded to 2.2 on my Captivate using the new Kies and download mode. At first the phone start up took a long time and the phone vibrated a lot for no apparent reason, but once I got in, updated all my apps and other firmware this seemed to have improved. The start up is still slower than with 2.1, but not by much. Social Hub would crash until I updated it and is now working fine. Once I passed over these speed bumps and put my apps back the way I like them the phone seems to be running quite well. Flash is working, I have a bit more RAM at my disposal, the new colourful menus are a nice touch, and I think my battery life has improved. Going to have to wait a full day to confirm this, but I am already noticing a slower decline in my phone's battery so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm still considering doing what Holmes108 has done if it works out for him, but I don't want to have to reinstall all my apps lol. For now I'll just enjoy my good helping of Froyo

shust82
I Plan to Stick Around

UPDATE: Phone seems to work alright, been around 24hrs. battery life is WAYYYY better, I was still @ 77% after 6-7hrs, where as before i would have to charge at least twice a day.

settings are have slightly different options in them; ie, there is a select device adminstrator that i can t do anything with, add or remove. and I cant access my credential storage, asks for a password that i dont have.

Phone used to require the sms time fix->no longer neededSmiley Happy, and there is less backround apps running (specifically gtalkservice), but i do see a google messaging service running.

Also gives option of turning off the auto rotation screen feature.

nigelncwong
I Plan to Stick Around

Here is my experience:

a bit laggy - so I rooted it and lag fixed it but still the quadrant score is lower then 2.1 with lag fixed

auto-rotation switch - very nice, should have been there in 2.1

google maps - no more crashing, and the rotation with 2 fingers works

gps - locked no problem but I never had a huge problem before

exchange server - easier to configure now

hardware buttons - sometimes not very responsive even after lag fix

got the car home and desk home and i think they are pretty nice

got something called samsung email and samsung IM which I haven't tried

gallery - no more lagging pictures displayed pretty quickly

i chatted with support last night and she told me this is not an official rogers update so that's why the update does not feel "right"

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

Not an official Rogers update? Interesting...

Anyways, seems fine here - glad I don't need SMSFixTimes anymore, however still having the random shutdown without Captivate Keep Alive installed.

Like the minor changes to the interface for sure... most are minor but add huge improvements.

JB
I Plan to Stick Around

One thing I did notice is I have the old Android Market after updating to 2.2... anyone else notice this?