northy
I Plan to Stick Around

ok Rogers,, times up,, where the . is this update,,, losing faith here,,

***edited labels***

241 REPLIES 241

Re: Froyo (2.2) on Captivate

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around

Yay! Finally Rogers admitted there is an issue with the data location services for Android 2.2! There are already many Nexus One, Vibrant, Desire HD users who are having this issue since the middle of December. We were all running Android 2.2.  What is even more interesting is the Rogers branded Acer Liquid E and Samusng Galaxy Tab running 2.2 also is having the same issue.  But to be fair to Rogers, I don't think it's a problem with Rogers entirely.  It is something to do with the communication between Rogers servers and Google since there are no issues reported from users on Bell and Telus.

On a side note, I thought the issue was solved for a couple days last week.  Everything worked fine.  Location updated as I travelled across town.  However, everything stopped working again on January 1st.  What a way to start off the new year!

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around
And just to give everyone an idea on how this is a concern for everyone (well, majority). There are many apps that require location services. For example, I use Yelp, Google Places, WeatherEye, Android news and weather widget and the Browser (google search). If GPS is not turned on (I turn mine off to save battery), location should be updated based on the cell tower data. However, it has not worked on many Android 2.2 devices on Rogers and hence, none of those apps work. This means, the phone is useless!

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

so if it works for bell,telus ect,, its a rogers problem then,,
and that being said,, lets fix the shutdown, freezing and lag problem,, that should be able to be done without 2.2

and my other question,, why does rooted 2.2 phones work??

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, you are right, it is a Rogers problem. LOL, Rooted phones do not work. All Android 2.2 running devices are not working. However, there was a fix from XDA forum. The fix didn't work on some phones. In addition, this is only a problem in the Ontario/Quebec region. Weird eh? Something was done (by Rogers or Google) in the middle of December and everything stopped working. I (and many others) can tell you it worked before that.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=845152
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1689044-No-location-services-on-Rogers-with-Android-2.2-D...
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/page/1/thread-id/335

EDIT:  The reason I say it may not be Rogers is because the data location service works on the iPhone in the Ontario/Quebec region.

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks madball.. good to hear from someone that has somesort of reason for the reason,,

-Profanity deleted-

that being said im on my second phone from rogers that does not work as advertised,,xperia x10 being the other,,

even if left on 2.1 with freezes and shutdowns fixed, i would be happy,, then fix gps lock,, then goto 2.2,,

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around
Totally agree with Northy

Galaxy & Android are such high-profile products /OS in the market. Location issue as Rogers describe is un-heard of elsewhere (at least from all the website I visited)

Its sound more like an "LOCALIZE" issue only Roger is experiencing !?

Could it be their Network is incompatible with the CURRENT requirement ? or poor design team on the customization ?

Please give us definite ETA, it is long-past due question that's should have answered !

wpgsteve
I Plan to Stick Around

madballs
I Plan to Stick Around
Strange, I thought I saw an Edit post option before. I was going to edit one of my post saying that the issue started in middle of November (Nov 14-16 time frame). Not December.

nimbusgti
I've Been Here Awhile

When the Captivate launched Rogers said the 2.2 update would be coming in 2011.  We are less than a week into 2011. I still have faith it will come soon. I have heard that samsung customer support claims the update should be out this week.

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, better be this week or next !!

Since  it was orignal said  Mid-Dec & many  Rogers dealers have been promoting base on 2.2 Galaxy thru out the Christmas Rush

I can only see Angry customer on the rise with any  further delays or non-delivery

ncrossley
I'm Here A Lot

How exciting, I bet we get another day and no update!
Maybe it's time to hire some propper developers to get this thing rolling.

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Without 2.2 , Captivate  is  consider obsolute (or at least below-standard)

Here is latest survey on  Android OS

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-froyo-now-half-all-android-devices?utm_source=feedburner&utm_me...

joesmack
I've Been Here Awhile

Honestly, I want Froyo as bad or worse than anybody here.... But as a developer, I know that we are often pressured into saying that it will be ready sooner than we want to.  And when it comes down to it, I would rather have a stable 2.1 than a buggy 2.2.

What people don't realize is that they could have released it mid-December, but made a wise decision not to because the number of upset customers would be 100x larger than the number of people who are complaining about no Froyo.

Froyo could still be glitchy when we get it, but hopefully they give it to us in a state that doesn't turn off mid-call, lose GPS or worst of all brick everybody's phone.

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

i agree with the above post to a point,,,

and the point being,, there are guys out there that have created excellent 2.2 roms, that have corrected issues,that make the phone lightning fast,, and extremly stable,,,

so my question is, if it can be done as we see it done,,, why cant it be done by rogers and samsung,,

custom 2,3 is going to be alive before we ever see a rogers 2.2...

makes no sense,, does it,,???

nimbusgti
I've Been Here Awhile
I just want a real update. Some sort of time frame. But as usual rogers just feeds us the same line over and over again. Somebody must know something.

ptaylorsjr
I've Been Around

Just updated to Froyo via Kies - took a while to reboot, but I now have Froyo Smiley Happy

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Really !?

Did  Roger  finally release 2.2 ?

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around

Kies detected an upgrade for mine as well, downloaded and update in progress... fingers crossed!

fotomickey
I Plan to Stick Around

Please let us know your experience after upgrade

Thanks

blah.. not enough battery on my phone error!

went to reinstall kies as it is a known glitch and found there is there is a new kies (2.0.0.11011) released today.

northy
I Plan to Stick Around

im downloading new keis,,, hoping it fixes this error

MSC.Thunder.Firmwareupdate has stopped working

then update stops,,,,,