cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Ping Spikes Pinging To Modem

CallMePoxaM8
I'm Here A Lot
Recently I moved into a new home and my ISP could not put the modem in my room, because there were no cables running to my room. Thus I have to use wireless unless I want to buy 20 meters of Ethernet cable and running them across my house.

Although I have absolutely between the modem and my adapter, while pinging my modem to check the connection there are random spikes of ping that usually go above 100ms making it impossible for me to play online FPS games (as seen below).

http://imgur.com/kK4TiPA

I have a TP-Link TL-WN822N and a CGN2-rog which is quite old but suffice my needs. Any suggestions on what is causing this and what to do? Any help would be appreciated.

Please forgive me for writing like an 8 year old.
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Random Ping Spikes Pinging To Modem

CallMePoxaM8
I'm Here A Lot
It looks like the same situation is happening on my phone but less severe

Re: Random Ping Spikes Pinging To Modem

@CallMePoxaM8, the first thing to do is check out the wifi environment as you have indicated this is a new home.  I'm guessing that you have moved and as a result are in a different wifi environment than what you were previously.  Try this.  Load inSSIDer on your laptop, which is a wifi monitoring application.  When loaded on a dual band laptop, inSSIDer will monitor both 2.4 and 5 Ghz networks that can be detected by your laptop.  Have a look to see what you're competing with in both bands.  In a suburban area, the 2.4 Ghz band is usually pretty crowded and tough to work in.  Usually the 5 Ghz band is less crowded and easier to find a clear channel. After you have a look at the display, you might be able to determine if there are any 2.4 or 5 Ghz channels that are not in use, or offer less interference. That's usually pretty tough with 2.4. Ghz channels as the only channels that don't overlap with each other is 1, 6, and 11.  As a result, everyone tries to use those channels.  The program link below is for the last freebie version.  It doesn't display the 802.11ac networks in use in the 5 Ghz band.  There is a newer licenced version is out now that will handle 802.11ac networks, and which will work on a 802.11n laptop.  The new version will read the broadcast management frames and display the 802.11ac networks that are running in the 5 Ghz band.  If you decide to change modems or add a router, and use 5 Ghz networks, its worth the $20 U.S. to buy, so that you can see all of the 5 Ghz networks that are in use.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

What you want to see on the graphical display is that your network is the highest network shown, which indicates that it has the highest received power of all the received networks.  Generally you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 to 45 dBmW separation between your network and any other network that is on the same or overlapping channel.  So, while your network should be the tallest on the display, everything else should be well below yours.  When that power level separation decreases, you end up with interference and possibly with problems maintaining a wifi network.  Your only option is to change to a channel with less overlap from the competition.  By looking at that display you might conclude that the 2.4 Ghz band is hopeless and that its time to move up to the 5 Ghz band, if you can.  If you have devices already running in the 5 Ghz band, change your operating channel to 149 or higher.  If you can switch to any of those channels, do so, as the output power for those channels is higher, resulting in better signal levels, signal to noise ratios and data rates.

So, with inSSIDer loaded on your laptop, take a walk around your home.  Take a look at the display when you're close to the modem, and where you normally use your laptop. Essentially, you're doing a site survey. It takes about three to four minutes for the display to settle out when you move around and stop in a location somewhere. You should see some differences in the received network power levels as you move around your home, both for your own network, and those of your neighbors. 

What you can do is take a screenshot of the inSSIDer display, dump it into something like Microsoft paint and wipe out your MAC address from the text and display area and then save it.  Insert it into a post so I can have a look at it if you need help with the interpretation.  With the info provided by the inSSIDer display it will be easier to determine what the problem might be.

Beyond that, you will need to run a wired connection to the modem to really determine the performance, in terms of ping times and throughput for your new home.  Sorry, but that's the only way to separate wifi and possible cable / modem issues.  Its times like this where having a 50 ft ethernet cable on hand comes in handy.  I keep one on hand in case I ever have to run any tests thru ethernet ports in other rooms.  So, depending on where you computer is and possibly if your laptop has an ethernet port, you might have to buy a long ethernet cable for test purposes.

A wired test will also allow you to run pingplotter, which is available from pingplotter.com.  It will run in pro mode for about 14 days and then downgrade to free version if you don't buy a licence for it.  There are free, standard and pro modes available, so you can go freebie version or buy a licence for one of the other two modes. Running pingplotter will allow you to determine if there are any issues from the modem to the neighborhood node or beyond, to your selected target, which could be a gaming server, google, or any other server of your choice.  There is a File ... Save Image function that will save the current image, which can then be inserted into a post so that we can see if there any any problems between the modem and neighborhood node or beyond.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 in conversation