Random Disconnects? Bad Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Random Disconnects? Bad Modem?

Hi, 

I am currently on Rogers High Speed Express w/ Scientific Atlanta Modem for about 5years.

My problem is random disconnects. This is frustrating, especially when me and my brother are gaming when my technology-illiterate mother can't seem to load internet pages.

I am still able to connect with my wireless router(secured) during the disconnect. 

When it does disconnect, I would run to the modem to check lights, and the cable light would be out. This disconnect would be around 5mins, while it would attempt to reconnect again.

The cables on the modem aren't loose or broken and  is secure.

So what I'm trying to figure out, is why I would randomly disconnect? Is it possible that the modem has died out? Should I think about getting a new one? Or maybe the problem resides on Roger's end? 

Would love to get some aid in this.

***edited labels***

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Random Disconnects? Bad Modem?

How long has this been going on?   Is it a few hours,  a day,  a week, or a long term problem?  If its a short term thing,  wait a day and see if it clears up.  If it's been happening for a while,  your first step will be to get hold of Rogers Tech support.   Until they have a chance to do their due diligence,  you probably wouldn't be able to get a modem exchange anyway.

Tech support  may know something about a current network problem   They can also test your connection through the internet and do some diagnostics.   See if you can get into the modem log,  which might show exactly what is failing and where.    Rogers might have to do that part, unless you have the IP address for the modem unit.  

There has been quite a bit written in these forums about similar problems, but they seem to be mostly affecting the new SMC DOCSIS 3 modem/router combo units.  Since you mentioned that the cable light is going out on the modem,  that sort of rules out your wireless router and "your end" of things and points to the Rogers side or the modem itself.   Odd however, that you say you can still connect over the wirless connection even when the modem is off...   curious..

I've Been Here Awhile

It recently started over the past month or so, i can't really say, i've only really noticed it when i'm gaming.

I think i should get ahold of tech support

when i said that i could still connect over the wireless connection, i meant i still had access to my network, meaning that my router didn't shut off or anything.

Thanks for your Reply.

I Plan to Stick Around

After you talk to Rogers, post back and let us know if you got the problem resolved.

Thanks for clarifying the "Can still connect" point. That more or less proves your router is working find if you LAN still works.
I've Been Around

This has been happening to me too....I seem to just have to unscrew the cable and screw it back in again ( which is a pain). I came here to see if I should ask for a new modem. This has been in the last 2 days so maybe I will see what happens. Thanks

I've Been Here Awhile

There is something wrong with the SMC Modems, I'm on my 3rd modem and the problem has not been resolved, mine reboots almost exactly every 2 hours.  I've called rogers 6 times, each time they offer a different solution without any luck.  I've had two tech guys come out on two seperate ocassions and they dont have a clue whats going on.

I've been reading some American Forums as well and they talk about a bad firmware issue in those forums.

I'm seriously thinking of downgrading back to my Motorola modem.

Here is a screen shot of my modem rebooting if you look at those red lines in the time line, its when the modem reboots.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_cgrXiXDlQ2U/TSBKj8jZGmI/AAAAAAAAADo/Ce4Q_TPJMiY/s800/PingPlotter.JPG

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I will not ever move up from express to extreme as long as the SMC combo is my only choice from Rogers. I emailed Rogers to ask about adding a Motorola 6120. The first rep who replied told me no problem, it can be added. I emailed back for some clarification and a second rep told me that I could not add it - that only the SMC from rogers is permitted on their network. Does the right hand at Rogers know what the left hand is doing? It totally boggles my mind that Rogers will sell (or rent) you a product that does not work properly!  What other business gets away with this?

I've Been Here Awhile

I've been reading a lot of forums and it is now very clear this a problem witih these modems and rogers.

I'm going to call Rogers back and cancel the order that tech put in to replace the cable, outside of my house, since thats not going to help resolve the problem at all.  Waste of time and resources and probably will cause another problem.

I will then look at filing  a complaint with the better business bureau or crtc or whoever that I need to file a complaint with.

I'm on my 3rd SMC and I'm tired of swaping out modems to see which one works.

I'm Here A Lot

I have been having the same problem since Nov.  We bought our Scientific Atlanta a year ago after renting one for 6 years.  (Hmmm).  Also I notice it happens when the main comp. is on. If using comp. down in basement thru the wireless connection it does not stop all day.  If someone is on main comp and someone on basement comp it will stop 3 - 5 times a day. We unplugg everything wait 30 secs and it all comes back. ???? 

I'm Here A Lot

You can still subscribe to extreme where you would receive 15 down and 1mb up and you don't have to use the SMC docsis 3.0 modem. Only when you go to Extreme plus and Ultimate then you have to get that SMC gateway