RSSI?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tasha199
I Plan to Stick Around

RSSI?

I know it's the Received Signal Stength Indication. It used to be up in the 70s or 80s but since Rogers fixed something for us when our internet went down, it's usually around the 50s or 60s, and changes constantly. When I take my computer downstairs where the router is, the RSSI is around 28-30s.

Is the lower the number the faster it is? Even with the hitron modem/router, I've found even upstairs the internet has been fast and the wi-fi seems better. Still kinda disappointing it's the fastest in the basement with the router, but it's at good speeds upstairs.

Right now my RSSI is 58. Is that good?

I'm honestly so confused as to why the hitron's wi-fi was so horrible and for more than a week it's been very good - everything loads fast upstairs, even youtube videos are much faster. o.O 

tasha199
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: RSSI?

Is it normal for RSSI to change constantly?

I read that...

So in WiFi these RSSI (received signal strengths) apply
0 to -40dBm you are within inches of the access point
-60dBm: very strong
-70dBm: strong
-80dBm: moderate - speeds are slowing
-85dBm: weak, lowest speeds
-90dBm: no workie

Ours constantly switches being 50ish - 69ish. Right now it's -59. I check right after and now it's -64. This is upstairs while the hitron is in the basement. Is still fast though.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: RSSI?

@tasha199:

it would be difficult and disingenuous to comment definitively on what might be happening in your situation.

In the first place, there have been many comments in this Forum stating that the Hitron unit is not spectacular in its WiFi performance.  Of course, we hear mainly from those who encounter problems.  There could be hundreds of Hitron users out there who are satisfied and happy.  I don't have a Hitron, so cannot give you my personal experience.

Secondly, you may be experiencing WiFi interference problems.  In that case a stronger WiFi signal will definitely help.  But the real solution is to do a WiFi site survey.  That will give you information on what WiFi signals are active in your area, and will help in determining how to deal with the situation.  I recently downloaded a program called Tamograph Site Survey, which will do the job for you.  You can use it free for an evaluation period which will enable you to determine at least in the short term what is happening and if you are experiencing interference problems.  So do a Google on the subject of WiFi site surveys and find a suitable program and use it to determine your location's WiFi signal situation and the potential for interference.  Then pick a lightly used or unused channel and do your WiFi on that channel exclusively.

Thirdly, 2.4 GHz radio signals are extremely variable due to changes in signal reflection off metalic surfaces and variable transmission through solid objects like walls, furniture and even your body.  So you will likely encounter lots of signal strength variation as you move around through your house.

Finally, don't forget that even if you are successfully connecting on WiFi, you may be encountering higher error rates, and hence increasing the amount of signal retransmission that is occurring in order to communicate.  This may show as slower transfer rates.

Good Luck.

skinorth