ROGERS APN

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: ROGERS APN

I tried changing my apn to that above. In the caller screen it appears to be for data and calling, it's a little confusing.

One thing I noticed is if I switch back and forth from "GSM Only" to "WCDMA Only", I will periodically get the no mobile network error, and then 5 seconds later it will reconnect. So it seems like the issue is when it's switching between networks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Does the phone use/show LTE for Data? Also when on a phone call is it HSPA or GSM?

I'm Here A Lot

I usually disable LTE since the signal is so poor in my area it constantly drains battery. It looks like the Voice network is staying in UMTS, and the Data Network stays in UMTS as well until I attempt to use Data, then it will switch to HSPA while Data is being transferred, and back to UMTS (3G in the notification bar) one it stops again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carter33 okay since you don't use LTE then on the phone dialer try setting it to WCDMA ONLY, and in the phone settings set it to WCDMA ONLY. 

I'm Here A Lot

When I changed the phone setting, the dialer one also changed.

It's basically functioning the same way, both voice and data networks say UMTS until the phone uses data, then the Data network switches to HSPA.

One other note, DNS check was set to disabled, I changed it to 0.0.0.0 allowed.

SMSC was also blank so I tapped the update button.

I've been on a test call for 5 mins now and so far it hasn't dropped, I'll continue to update here.

I'm Here A Lot

No dice, after 10 min the Mobile Network not Available error popped up and the call dropped, instantly went back to full signal strength.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When the call drops are you moving around, or are you at home in one spot? I ask because I wonder if this is a handoff issue between cell phone towers. As a test can you set the dialer and phone settings both to GSM only and try again. 

I'm Here A Lot

I'm not moving, I'm sitting in the same spot and my signal strength is -66 dBm.

I set it to GSM only and the call would still drop, however instead of my phone saying "No mobile network available", it would just say "Call Disconnected". However while in a call, the Voice network Type is GSM, while the Data is disconnected and network type says Unknown, when not in a call the data Network Type is Edge.

One last thing to add is that I tried setting the phone to LTE only, and in available networks I cannot connect to Rogers LTE, it fails, however I can connect to Rogers-EXT LTE network.

edit: tried a couple of times and then it was able to connect to Rogers LTE. However I cannot call out, even if I try to turn VoLTE on, the slider just moves back to off after the screen refreshes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@carter33 wrote:

I'm not moving, I'm sitting in the same spot and my signal strength is -66 dBm.

I set it to GSM only and the call would still drop, however instead of my phone saying "No mobile network available", it would just say "Call Disconnected". However while in a call, the Voice network Type is GSM, while the Data is disconnected and network type says Unknown, when not in a call the data Network Type is Edge.

One last thing to add is that I tried setting the phone to LTE only, and in available networks I cannot connect to Rogers LTE, it fails, however I can connect to Rogers-EXT LTE network.

edit: tried a couple of times and then it was able to connect to Rogers LTE. However I cannot call out, even if I try to turn VoLTE on, the slider just moves back to off after the screen refreshes.

@carter33

you can't use VoLTE because Rogers doesn't support that phone, even though the phone supports VoLTE. Rogers only enables it on a few models of phones. However this issue seems weird, have you tried your sim card in another phone, or try a different carrier sim on your Sony. This way we can rule out the phone, or the network/account.

I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I already tried getting a new SIM card and it still had the problem, I tried my sim card in an iPhone I use at work and could not reproduce the issue. The sim also worked in my old phone before I got this one.

So I'm thinking it's a hardware problem with the phone. I've already got the ball rolling on an RMA, but since it's not a carrier phone, I'll have to send it to Sony and be without a phone for 10-15 business days.