ROD on Xbox with no Cable?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ROD on Xbox with no Cable?

Is Rogers on Demand tied to a cable account?

I currently have internet and cable with Rogers, but have found that we aren't home enough or available to justify paying for cable which we don't watch.

However, we do watch shows on Rogers on Demand at times.  Is this feature still available (through xbox as I'd return the cable receiver) if I cancel my cable account and keep/increase my internet account?

Thanks

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: ROD on Xbox with no Cable?

"Rogers postpaid wireless, home phone and Internet customers can catch-up on shows from Citytv, CBC and CBC News Network, watch movie trailers and more. Rogers cable TV customers have access to premium channel programming that they subscribe to through their existing cable package."

So from the looks of this, you would receive, any of the STANDARD channels that are offered on RoD.  Anything that could be classed as premium (so this could be incuding food, space, etc that you need a higher package for), movie network, etc, you would  not have access too.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmnm.. that is a good question, i am not sure.

The RoD via the Xbox, or through the website or mobile apps, are tied to your MyROgers account.

Weither this account, needs the TV account tied to it as well to watch , i am not 100% sure (I could see it POSSIBLY being yes, as the RoD might be a perk of having the TV service... but i could be wrong).

Do you know what your MyRogers account is that has all your services tied with it? (ie: you can create one for the forums here, with no services attached to it, but you would want to have the one that has your internet, etc tied to it, to log in to try it).

Really in the end, unless someone knows that it works or not, the only way to test it would be to remove the cable and try 😞

Good luck! 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Unplugging the cable won't work as the account is still active.

Are there any actual Rogers tech reps that could perhaps answer this, or provide some sort of hint?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I ment removing, as in canceling.

While a rep responce is never guaranteed here, hopefuly if one of them has the answer, they can help with this (or another use who has experienced/tried it)

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi All,

This may provide you a bit more info.  Please read under "Availability" to see what the requirements are.

http://redboard.rogers.com/2011/coming-to-an-xbox-near-you-rogers-on-demand/

Thanks

RogersRavi

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"Rogers postpaid wireless, home phone and Internet customers can catch-up on shows from Citytv, CBC and CBC News Network, watch movie trailers and more. Rogers cable TV customers have access to premium channel programming that they subscribe to through their existing cable package."

So from the looks of this, you would receive, any of the STANDARD channels that are offered on RoD.  Anything that could be classed as premium (so this could be incuding food, space, etc that you need a higher package for), movie network, etc, you would  not have access too.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the link.

Good to know it'll still be available.

Now to check and confirm the type of shows available... hopefully they're the same as the cable ROD, as initially they had different shows.

Thanks for the help

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Just as a follow up, as mentioned in the link provided above, CityTV and CBC are the only major channels available (as well as Global Reality... only reality shows on Global). The top 4 I usually hit on ROD are Global, CityTV, CTV, and CBC.

So by switching off cable and utilizing ROD on XBOX as a source of tv shows, you'll hit half the available big name channels.

Next question: with Rogers' stake in TML, will Leafs (and other included teams) be streamed over ROD for free?

I doubt there is an answer yet... especially with the NHL strike looming... 😞
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

So let me get this straight. Can you get RoD on an Xbox 360 with a Rogers account, or do you also need some kind of Xbox subscription?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You can access it with a Rogers login. Very very limited channels if you don't have a Cale sub tied to it, full lineup if you do.

Weither it needs an Xbox live gold sub I am not sure. I have a gold sub and it does work there, not sure otherwise.