ROD movies - cost to much!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator RogersRavi
Retired Moderator

****Edited Labels****

I've Been Here Awhile

Let's start with this, Rogers closes the Video stores, you could rent three Blue Ray movies for $15.00 and keep them for a week. You could collect points and get a free movie once you got 12 points. That was a great deal!!! So after renting 12 BR movies at this rate you got a free one, so after taxes it cost you only $5.22 per movie, and you get them for a week, lots of time to watch them.  Just after Rogers closes the video stores, Rogers increases the cost of movie rental On Demand for an HD movie from $6.99 to $7.99 per movie, with taxes that is $9.03 per movie. What an outrageous cost.  I used to rent at the video store (most likely 48 to 50 weeks of the year, so over 144 movies, that's over $700.00 a year) If I were to use the ROD and rent the same amount of movies per year it would cost over $1,300.00 per year.  Of course I am not doing that. 

I do not steel movies or download illegally, I believe in paying for my entertainment whether it is movies, music or TV.

I can go to other places on the web and get the same NEW RELEASE movies for cheaper, or I can go to a kiosk from a number of other companies and get the same new release movies for only a buck or two.

I am done renting movies from ROD until Rogers has either reduced the cost per movie, or offer special discounts if you rent a certain number of movies in a month, or something like the points program they had at the video store.

Let's be real here, the costs involved for Rogers MUST be a lot less to offer the movies on demand, this is not a new feature for them it has been around for over 7 years (or more), if compared to the costs involved in having a video store.

It is not hard to believe that so many people are doing things illegally to watch movies, since the providers keep jacking up the cost to be honest.

So when someone from Rogers gets around to reading this post, keep in mind that you are loosing money, for sure well over 500 bucks a year. 

P.S..  I have tired to complain a number of times when talking to a CSR (over the last 6-7 months), today a CSR told me to write the president.  When I tried to do that, I couldn't because I needed an interaction number from a manager.  When I called back to Rogers (after being on hold for 24 minutes) the manager I was talking to told me that I could not write the president and suggested that I come to this community forum.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: ROD movies - cost to much!!

i totally agree. Not only that but you can rent the same movie from iTunes for $5.99 1080p HD. We have an Apple TV and it is our preferred renting method. Rogers still gets some of our money since it affects your data download.  Let's be honest. These are the same people that expect you to subscribe (pay money) to use the Anyplace tv app even when you are a full cable subscriber. Money-grubbing.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah I been with Rogers for centuries now, and I am just getting tired of their way of providing services, those that come on here and try to defend Rogers they are employees of rogers, and pretend not to be, I am sorry but we are just getting tired of all the crap that Rogers tries to put on us, make us pay an arm and a leg for crappy service, charging so much money for movies that we can get on netflix with HD quality for 7.95 a month for all the movies you want to watch..its time we say no and just stop letting rogers use us the customers to profit from us..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are actualy 2 anyplace TV apps.   Live and Mobile. (at least for iOS).
The mobile, is your RoD.  This app and viewing the contents is FREE (other than data used, etc).

The Live, which is live TV, yes, they do charge the $5 a month for.

---

I do agree that the rentals, should be at least 1-2$ cheaper.

I will argue SOME stuff on the netflix part though.   Most stuff that is 7.99 on RoD, is the NEW stuff.  This stuff, you wont usualy see on netflix for a bit, netfix doesnt get the 'new releases' always right away.  Most that i had found by the time they were on netflix, they were down to 3.99 on RoD.  Still at that point, 2 rentals at that price, takes you over a netflix monthly rental.

Like you said though, the only way you can say no, is to NOT use the services.. no money in from it, will often force them to change the practice.
For myself.. i rarely rent ANYTHING, RoD, i have even canceled my netflix.  For me, i actualy usualy BUY them.  I look at it, if you buy the blueray opening release day, you can usualy find it for $22ish somewhere.  Many come with the DVD now a days as well.  My sister in law, doesnt have a bluray, but has dvd, she gives me $5 to buy the dvd off me.  I am now paying $17ish, about the cost of renting that movie twice... but can now watch it unlimited times, have all the extra content, still probably better quality than both netflix and RoD.

I've Been Around

Hi, I read your complaint about the thing. You seem really smart and we should totally chill sometime dudeeeee

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well, I'm one of the millions around the world that get movies and music for "free" because of rip-off schemes like ROD. I dont feel bad one bit. Sure, the quality isnt HD all the time but considering what I'm paying (free) I aint complaining...  Man, that ROD scheme is about the same cost to see it live in a movie theatre and get 10x times better sound and pic quality, lol. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Agreed with Pac_west227

I download all my movies / music off the internet from torrent sites & youtube sites. I am not going to pay so much just for the money.

I find it not fair that we as customers have to pay $7.99 for a HD movie meanwhile you can get it for a lower price.
I Plan to Stick Around

I too download tons of movies and music from Bit torrents and I dont regret it one bit, they already charge us an arm and a leg for internet, so we are paying more then enough for our downloads... Keep downloading and enjoy it....

If this is how Rogers wants to treat their customers by charging $7.99 for a ROD movie, we can just go online and get it. I go to this torrent site that i would say 80% of the movies are all HD quality... so Cant go wrong with that... Torrents Rule..

I've Been Here Awhile

Gdkitty,

I would agree with you on the better quality and and the extra content when buying the BR.  However, a lot of movies are not worth buying, since most of them you would only watch once.

I would also agree with the Netflix thing, I have checked them out and would not even consider signing up with them.

I do not blame anyone who is getting movies or other stuff for free, but that is not something that I would do.

So for me, it is going to be some place else for me to get my movies.