Questions about the forced switch from Analog to digital.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Questions about the forced switch from Analog to digital.

take a look at all the posts on here, you will see most people posting stuff like "how come rogers does not carry such and such in hd or this or that channel?  well let me tell you one reason why, they can not easily add all these channels is because Analog spectrum is consuming up these frequencies and limiting them.  analog bandwith does consume up a lot of useful bandwidth that can be used for other things such as more internet capacity, more hd channels, more vod, more music channels, and more sd channels.

if you were rogers would u not want to pass up on offering this to your clients?  by discontinuing or reducing analog, they are not harming analog customers, because each and every customer will still get a dta adaptor which still gives them access to the channels they had before, just now being transmitted to them with less bandwidth, and the bandwidth they free can be usefull to help clear up node congestion, and offer more hd to the people who are willing to pay for them. its a win-win situation, you dont have to work for rogers to think like tihs, just think outside of the box for once and you will see.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

It's nice to read that no one is actually trying to answer your specific question. 

First, I am going to assume the cable connects directly to your PVR which outputs to the TV in two ways: one by the PVR output (S-video/RCA, etc) and the other by pass-through (cable) to the TV.  This allows the PVR to record one show and your parents to watch another channel on the TV via selecting TV input over PVR input on the TV itself.

Second, you should check if your PVR has only an analog tuner or also a digital tuner.  In Canada, digital cable is expected to be encrypted so this point may be mute.  If its analog then connect the DTA50 between the cable wall outlet and the cable in port on the PVR.  Nothing else changes.  This way the new digital signal is converted prior to the PVR and the pass-through to the TV will function as per normal.  In summary, only one DTA50 needed.

If your PVR has a digital tuner and the signal is not encrypted then your PVR may work after the conversion but the pass through to the TV will need a DTA50.  That is, a DTA50 would be installed between the PVR and the TV - but only on the cable connection line - don't change any of the RCA/S-video connections.  This would allow the PVR to function as per today and the TV to be watched on a separate channel.

Hope this helps,

KB, P.Eng.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The cable channels ARE encrypted, thus the need for the DTA adaptor. if they were in the CLEAR QAM then adaptors would be redundant or unnecessary.

You NEED the adaptor it now becomes the "tuner" in your system, so anything connected AFTER this adaptor, will be able to watch or record what you are tuned into.

The only thing different is the old tuner in your PVR is now obsolete, so you must not use that tuner any more to record, and instead you will be using the tuner in the DTA to select and change channels, also make sure if you are doing a timer recording, the DTA must be turned on, lots of people forget and leave this off too

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It appear the recent move has changed my access to only 1 connection if anyone like me has only the Basic channel. From the start when I had Rogers when I bought my house 1991, and asked that they connect Roger cablevision, I was supplied with 3 connection (1 in basement, 1 on ground floor family room and the 1 in my 2nd floor master bedroom) and I have 3 analog TVs connected to these Roger supplied connection. Yesterday when I ask for the 3 free analog-digital connection to match they say that in basic plan, you are entitled for only 1 connection and have to pay almost $7/month for each of the additional connectors ... that is almost $14/month just to have what I had for the last 21 years and being forced into this analog to digital conversion through no fault of mine. I am already paying over $130/month for internet, cable and rocket stick to Rogers and I do not want to pay another $14/month.

Wonder whether anyone is in the same situation as me with this change in access that force one to pay additional $$$ just because of this force analog-digital conversion?  I believe in fairness and if my TV goes dark because of this conversion I will start changing looking at elsewhere for my TV, internet need rather than continue to pay $130/month to roger.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Both on this thread and another, people have said that they have had it for 20+ years.

Which i dont doubt.. and with analog cable, it really hasnt been a bigger deal.

When the digital stuff started comming out.. they started to have to differentiate between the two.. so this is where the 'outlet' count came from.. needed for the digital.

For people who have only use pretty much basic and analog signals.. there has been no need for rogers to bug you from back then for the extra outlets, etc.. and have let you go on as things were.. they could have been charging you all along.

But for the digital, they need to unfortunately, to be able to account for the different boxes.

If you feel you need to switch over this, i fully understand.. but in the end you will not find it any better by other means.   Any other choices for TV (satalite, Fibe, etc).. you will need to pay for a full out digital box for each TV you want to be able to watch it on.. which your going to bring your cost up again anyways.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

dont be blaming rogers, a lot of builders in my neighbourhood were hooking up extra outlets illegally, when the home owner only paid for one outlet.

people are quick to blame rogers here but lets face it, this was known problem in the 90;s rogers had no control over it, you pay the bill, you should know what level of servie you are getting. back in 1991 i knew how many outlets we were allowed on our account, guess how i found out? i asked rogers. they said 1 outet. gues waht? i told them i needed more tvs and guess what they said? change to this package. and gues waht? i did.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I would get a cheap digital box for regular watching and the digital adapter to use with the tivo if you can figure out how to get them working together. If your parents have been with rogers for 35 yrs I am sure Rogers will help you out if you phone in.. People in the stores don't really know or don't have the permission to help you out.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Here's the real story: Rogers is NOT yanking analog cable this year, just implying that. It's a bluff. "Despite the inference that Rogers’ entire cable TV network was converting to digital this year, Purdy clarified that this initiative only impacts analog cable customers that subscribe to its Tier 3 channels.  Rogers is leaving its basic, Tier 1 and 2 channel packages available in analog for at least “the next several years”. Full Story of the limited extent of the force migration: http://www.cartt.ca/news/PrinterFriendly.cfm?NewsNo=13378 They would love to disrupt us long term customers, to get us get us to pay more, to pay for every television, to sign up to use Rogers-owned boxes and adapters. They want the model of Bell in the sixties, when the phone company owned all the phones in our parent's houses. We want video, over the internet or otherwise, where we decide what & how we watch, on our own hardware. Bring on Netflix & AppleTVs.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cleanhead wrote:
Here's the real story: Rogers is NOT yanking analog cable this year, just implying that. It's a bluff. "Despite the inference that Rogers’ entire cable TV network was converting to digital this year, Purdy clarified that this initiative only impacts analog cable customers that subscribe to its Tier 3 channels.  Rogers is leaving its basic, Tier 1 and 2 channel packages available in analog for at least “the next several years”. Full Story of the limited extent of the force migration: http://www.cartt.ca/news/PrinterFriendly.cfm?NewsNo=13378 They would love to disrupt us long term customers, to get us get us to pay more, to pay for every television, to sign up to use Rogers-owned boxes and adapters. They want the model of Bell in the sixties, when the phone company owned all the phones in our parent's houses. We want video, over the internet or otherwise, where we decide what & how we watch, on our own hardware. Bring on Netflix & AppleTVs.

Weither the cutoff is not or later.. it will be happening.  It may take longer, to get everyone with devices so they CAN watch.

Problem with your argument is.. they are not making it pay for every TV.. you can get a FREE DTA for your other TVs.. so its not about getting extra money.

And it has nothing to do with bells model from the 60's....  Take a look at ANY other form of television from any other provider.  Multiple satalite companies (bell, direct tv, etc), bell fibre now even.   Oh look.. you HAVE to rent/buy a box for every TV.. you dont not have a choice in the matter if you want TV on that TV.

Rogers has been the ONLY one giving us this extra option for this many years as a freebie.. and even with the switch over, and the free DTA's, they are STILL providing this... the only major impact is as the OP was stating, it makes it MUCH more difficult for people with existing DVRs, TIVOs, etc to use.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I agree with Gdkitty,

your arguement is a little flawed. Who cares if theyre shutting off analog in one year, two years or even 3 years for now. the point is its PLANNED to shut down.  They provide a FREE DTA for every outlet on your account too, so that means if u have 4 outlets you get 4 DTA's.  not a hard thing to grasp. it makes perfect sense and almost everyone will have no issue with migrating.

The only people who will have an issue with this are the ones who pay for ONE outlet and ILLEGALY been splitting their cable signal to multiple TV sets all these years, without paying for it.  If your not one of these folks, you have nothing to worry about, but if you are, please do not steal. how would you like it if I stole from you? you wouldn't