Question about Signals

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Question about Signals

My friend told me he was in Downtown Toronto near the Lake and somehow he looked at his iPhone and said AT&T on it? Is that even possible? I dont beleive it. 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Question about Signals

Yup! I get that when I'm near niagra right at the border.

If you are potentially closer to a US antenna at a time, you can roam to it.

Updated Solution

If you are near a border City your phone will Roam to the network that has the strongest signal at that time and location. To avoid this you can go into your phone settings and turn off your Roaming feature to Manual instead of Automatic. This way your network will only change if you request it to do so. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Well of course Niagara happens all the time. My friend told me it happened when he was at the shore of Lake Ontario Downtown Toronto.. Isn't that a little far away to get a US Signal? I could believe Niagara as you can see the USA from there.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Might still be possible.. if the rogers tower, was over crouded at the time.. woiuldnt really let them on

Again one of those good reasons to keep your roaming data to OFF by default 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes. Always a good idea to keep data roaming OFF. As outlined in my other post.. But found it weird what my friend told me. Usually rogers has good coverage downtown..
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

my phone would often pick up T-Mobile and Cingular when I was by the lake at port credit ontario. But the chances of making a call when your phone says that is highly unlikely. The Cell tower is located on USA land, has lots of transmit power, and the stray signals are bouncing off the lake down to us, now, to make a call succesfully, your handset needs enoguh transmit power to push the signals back to the cell tower with appropriate signal levels, most cellphones generally have 1-2 watts transmit power, generally not enough to transmit a call over that distance. thats like your phone in toronto trying to use a hamilton tower, it will fail. yes its a good idea to turn off roaming but dont forget to turn it on when u leave the country and need it to travel

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes true. But found it weird how my Friend told me he got a signal from downtown Toronto near the lake. Rogers has good strong coverage there... I always leave Data Roaming OFF for things like this. Only turn it on when I need it.
I'm an Advisor

Not sure of its actual distance, but Rochester New York is right across the lake, although it's probably further than Niagara as the crow flies.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ya so I had it hard time believing that what my friend told me .. It's a little to far? But that's why I leave The data roaming off.. Not matter where I am I always leave the network on to get incoming calls or texts. Since You don't get charged for incoming texts or calls I can choose which to decline or answer...
Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation