Q10 data overage!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Q10 data overage!!!

Buchoman, did you find that your data usage improved with this practice? I've been doing the same thing but Rogers can't tell me my usage for this month so i'm gritting my teeth waiting for my next bill.
I've Been Here Awhile

Buchoman, have you noticed any improvement in your data usage since turning off your Data Services when you're using Wifi? I've been doing the same thing but Rogers can't tell me my current usage so i'm gritting my teeth waiting for my next bill. I've got 1+1GB and last month I used 2.09GB but I find that unbelievable since I use Wifi at home and at work.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Buchoman responded on this thread last june.. so he/she may not be monitoring it anymore likely.

Turning off any data services while in a wifi zone, would gaurantee that it cant use anything but wifi.

I am on the same plan as you, but with an iphone.  I generally am on wifi at work, and at home... and rarely go up to 1g.. but next to never use any data while in cellular area, other than emails comming in.

the FEW times it seems to HAVE use some extra usage in a day.. is when i was sometimes had an app open.. and it was continually tring to update something, even after i left the wifi zone.

That leads to the next part.. one thing that you can do to always assure that things are not using other data when on cellular by accident.. would be to CLOSE APPS before leaving the wifi zone.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Funny thing about data is that after updating to one of the newer versions of OS 7, turning off Data Services does not actually cancel all data services. I remember this issue quite clearly from the BlackBerry Support Forums. Users were complaining about data usage and we were saying to turn off Data Services. Further investigation revealed that data kept being used despite it being turned off. This was an issue with the newer versions of OS 7 (I can't remember exact version numbers) and not with earlier OS such as OS 6.

I know this thread refers to data use on the Q10 but I thought I would throw that in for the information of users in these forums.

Cheers.  Smiley Happy

I'm Here A Lot

I have been going over my data limit for the last few months and couldn't figure it out as I use my work wi-fi daily and then home wi-fi at night. I called Rogers this weekend and was told that even though I was on another wi-fi it was still using my data. They told me to turn off my data while on wi-fi. I thought the object of being on wi-fi was not to use your data, and certainly don't expect to have to turn my data off.

Is this true?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Stormdajo

Sometimes with poor WiFi signals it will start using your cellular data. Also remember some phones have settings that can ajust the WiFi time off time. So it could be that ur WiFI may turn off when the screen is off or during the night while charging.
I'm Here A Lot

Why doesn't Rogers tell you that if you are using wi-fi to turn your data off? Only because I phoned to specifically ask why I had gone over my data and that I use my work and home wi-fi did the lady tell me.

I was also under the impression that bbm did not use data, but now I'm told it does?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Stormdajo

BBM uses data. On older devices it used data BUT would compress it so it wouldn't use so much data but with the new Blackberry 10 devices they use normal smartphone data. I always have Wifi on & never seen my Data being used while wifi is on but i did go into my advanced settings to make some changes for that.

You can call back & speak to a manager or contact Rogers on Facebook.com/Rogers or Twitter @RogersHelps & see if they can do soemthing for you.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks.

Still think Rogers should have told us when we switch to Q10.

What do you think Rogers would do?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Stormdajo

I do agree they should have informed you about that as it is a KEY thingn to know. Unfortantly it seems like the store reps / call center reps are not trained as much to know this or forget to bring it up.

I honestly would just call them up or message them & tell them everything & see if they can somewhat help u in their ways.
Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 10 in conversation