Purchasing a new modem? Return the rental FIRST!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Purchasing a new modem? Return the rental FIRST!

Perhaps everyone already knows this, but I didn't.  I purchased a new Hitron CGN3 today from Bestbuy ($150 + a free $25 gift card), got home, plugged it in, went through all the setup, and no connection.  I thought maybe it needed to be assigned to my account, so I called Rogers.  I got some 15 year old guy who didn't want to be there.  I explained I had no connection, etc., he told me it was because it hadn't been plugged in long enough and thus was not yet provisioned on the network.  I called shenanigans on that so I called back and got someone else.  After making me reboot, change the cable, etc., etc., she finally realized I had purchased a new modem to replace my rental (what I told her in the first place...).  She said I need to talk to customer care to activate it/assign it to my account.

Talk to customer care, and it turns out they won't assign the new modem until you return the rental modem to Rogers FIRST.  This was news to me.  Apparently, you can only have ONE modem assigned to your account.  So before I can even try out the Hitron I need to go to the Rogers store, return the rental, register the new one, then it should work.  Pretty ridiculous if you ask me, what if I have issues with the new one and want to go back to the rental modem???  It should let you add another modem over the phone, then if you don't return the rental within X number of days they charge you or whatever.

So thrilled to have wasted over an hour . around with it before finding that out.  They should have a note in the box to this effect, or a message should come up when you plug in the USB advising you of this.  It would save them needless tech service calls and save everyone a lot of aggravation...

Bottom line:  If you're purchasing a modem to replace your rental modem from Rogers, you need to go to the Rogers store to return the rental before they will let you use the new purchased modem.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Purchasing a new modem? Return the rental FIRST!

Well, they are correct.. you can only ever have ONE modem on the account.. (EG: you couldnt have a 2nd modem, same internet account, pluged in upstairs as well.. as you would technically get 2x whatever speed your plan is, in the house, etc.).

For ANY rogers device to work.. digital cable box, modem, etc.. they all need to be REGISTERED on the account to work, so yes you just cant swap it out, without calling in to register.

Though, does sound odd that they wouldnt add the new one.  Unless the policy has changed..
You USED to be able to do that.. activate a new box, say a purchase.. then return within X days and or they would charge you.  They may have changed this though 😞

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, they are correct.. you can only ever have ONE modem on the account.. (EG: you couldnt have a 2nd modem, same internet account, pluged in upstairs as well.. as you would technically get 2x whatever speed your plan is, in the house, etc.).

For ANY rogers device to work.. digital cable box, modem, etc.. they all need to be REGISTERED on the account to work, so yes you just cant swap it out, without calling in to register.

Though, does sound odd that they wouldnt add the new one.  Unless the policy has changed..
You USED to be able to do that.. activate a new box, say a purchase.. then return within X days and or they would charge you.  They may have changed this though 😞

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

This is the way it always had been. Only one internet gateway could be provisioned to the customer account at a time. Not sure which plan are you on, but if you happen to be or considering switching to the one of the new Hybrid Fibre plans - there is no reason to purchase CGN3 anymore due to the fact that CGN3 rental is included in all plans now.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@TeDD13 wrote:

This is the way it always had been. Only one internet gateway could be provisioned to the customer account at a time. Not sure which plan are you on, but if you happen to be or considering switching to the one of the new Hybrid Fibre plans - there is no reason to purchase CGN3 anymore due to the fact that CGN3 rental is included in all plans now.

Except that the Rogers billing system is believed to still charge for the modem separately.

e.g. the web site may say $69.99 incl. modem rental, but the billing system will charge $57.99 + $12 for the CGN3.

So, if you own your own CGN3, you wouldn't be getting billed the $12...

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Oh, really? I just switched to the new 60/10 plan last week, and didn't have a chance to see the bill. I just assumed that there will be just a fee for the plan without the gateway rental. If I still see the rental fee I will consider buying CGN3 too.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah most of is will have to wait for our next bill to see the breakdown.

I doubt there will be much change for a while away from the cgn3, considering that it's one of the few 24 channel modems out there.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Does Rogers support buying personal DOCSIS 3.0 CABLE MODEM, and removing the canncellation fees

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you buy your own modem?
Yes, as long as its one of the rogers supported models.. can't be others that rogers is not using (moterola surfboard, etc)

BUT there is no reduction in price of the plan, etc.  All modem rental prices are built into the plans now.
Comparing same speed with the rental included vs the previous plans when it was not, there is practically no rental fee anymore.. only $3-4ish.