cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a Nextbox

Mauricio
I'm Here A Lot

Hello there, I used to buy my cable boxes at future shop. Now I can't find where to buy them. All others

stores sell only from another cable companies but Rogers.

Help please.

Thank you

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Purchasing a Nextbox

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Mauricio

When Future shop left, Rogers pulled their products from the stores including Best Buy. When I worked for them until a couple months ago, there was word Rogers would start bringing it back but haven't. I believe u can only get them through Rogers stores only and Kijiji from someone else who is selling them ( the owners of the bought boxes.). Also i do believe 2001 audio and video including Bay Bloor radio may still have some for sale.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Mauricio

When Future shop left, Rogers pulled their products from the stores including Best Buy. When I worked for them until a couple months ago, there was word Rogers would start bringing it back but haven't. I believe u can only get them through Rogers stores only and Kijiji from someone else who is selling them ( the owners of the bought boxes.). Also i do believe 2001 audio and video including Bay Bloor radio may still have some for sale.

View solution in original post

Thank you for your input, I didn't know about that information.

Best regards,

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, 2001 audio still has them and has them in stock in many GTA stores.

There is also the issue that Cisco is completely out of the TV set top box business. And so if you are buying a nextbox 3 digital terminal or PVR, you are either getting old stock, or refurbished.

Don't know about the Nextbox 4K who produces it, and whether new product is in the distribution line.

2001 audio sells the Rogers branded 4K boxes only.  They don't say whether they are new. I suspect if anyone wants earlier boxes, it will be through the refurbished and Kijiji markets.

Bruce

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @BS

Technicolour makes the 4K box which includes the 4K PVR box. They have taken over the Cisco set up boxes and manufacturer them instead. They bought that division from Cisco a while back I believe.

So all 4K terminals including the PVR model is locked to Rogers unless they are bought directly from Technicolour which i doubt that can happen.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Mauricio

You are welcome! Try the advice my self and BS have given and see!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix  Thanks for updating me - I have never had my hands on a Technicolor 4K box, so was curious as to whose manufacturer was on the box.

I have known that Cisco was out of the business since way back 2 years ago, when I and others started researching the Nextbox mess and learned that Cisco had pulled from the business and sold it all to Technicolor, while Rogers went down Espial for the guide, and that proved to be a total mess.  So now I guess we have Technicolor, and soon to be Comcast.

I was just wondering what direction production of the 4K box had gone.

Cisco is now back where they really do belong after their purchase of Scientific Atlanta - back to networking, switching, high end routers, the foundation of what makes the Internet work - like the ad goes - the Internet runs on Cisco - it really does and that is where their strength lies. Glad to see that they are now fully out of it.  Wonder if it was Cisco or Technicolor staff who saved the Nextbox 3 and 2 mess, not that it matters.

Again, thanks.

Bruce

Gunny
I've Been Around

Rogers informs me, today, that Nextbox digital TV box is ONLY available by Rental from Rogers.  No option to purchase it outright.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gunny : That appears to be correct. It used to be you could purchase through Best Buy/FS quite a while ago and 2001 Audio Video up until around the end of last year, however, rentals only now...

You can, of course, purchase used from other Rogers customers in good standing - using say Kijiji.

If you go that route, make sure you do everything per the checklist in the following post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/37-rogers-cable-tv/64632-guidelines-selling-buying-used-rogers-termi...

This all assumes you're in Ontario and not Atlantic Canada.

Here are the hardware options:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With things moving towards the X1 IPTV services... their eventual goal would be to move everyone over to it after X many years I would think (like going to digital and dropping analog)

They would want to stop selling as many boxes.. as people owning them will want to retain them for longer, slower to switch over.

Hopefully when the IPTV comes out should be able to switch from regular to IPTV boxes more on a 1:1 switch rental wise.

Mar12
I've Been Around

I bought mine for a penny a few years back

@Gunny wrote:

Rogers informs me, today, that Nextbox digital TV box is ONLY available by Rental from Rogers.  No option to purchase it outright.

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers cable boxes and prices

Where can I find a list of the currently available cable boxes and rental rates?

Can you still buy boxes?  I have old boxes at home like SA8300HDs, SA4250HDs, etc that I purchased long ago.  Can you purchase the newer boxes either new, or second hand on Kijiji, etc?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@wayner92 wrote:

Rogers cable boxes and prices

Where can I find a list of the currently available cable boxes and rental rates?

Can you still buy boxes?  I have old boxes at home like SA8300HDs, SA4250HDs, etc that I purchased long ago.  Can you purchase the newer boxes either new, or second hand on Kijiji, etc?

@wayner92  Yes, you can buy used cable boxes on Kijiji but be careful. Many are stolen or rentals, which won't get authorized by Rogers. If you have an SA8300HD, hook it up and see if it works. They're real workhorses and not nearly as buggy as the ones that replaced them

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wayner92 wrote:

1. Where can I find a list of the currently available cable boxes and rental rates?

2. Can you still buy boxes?  I have old boxes at home like SA8300HDs, SA4250HDs, etc that I purchased long ago.  Can you purchase the newer boxes either new, or second hand on Kijiji, etc?

1. The only way to know which boxes they will still activate is to call Rogers.  You need to do that anyway when you're considering purchasing used - see link below.  

2.Rogers no longer sell any boxes, so you can only purchase used.  Here's the checklist for purchasing boxes.  Make sure you check off all the times in that list:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/37-rogers-cable-tv/64632-guidelines-selling-buying-used-rogers-term...

kiebbe
I'm Here A Lot

TV cable box

Can you buy a TV cable box or rent only?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@kiebbe : Looks like your post was moved to this existing thread. Please see the post above yours.  You can only rent (or purchase used). Here are the rental options for digital cable:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware

For IgniteTV, I believe the rental costs are $5/box beyond the first box.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
my father was given 2 rogers hd boxes (non pvrs) as a gift from his friend joe who had to cancel his digital cable tv cus he moved. joe owned the boxes on a rent to own program but was not aware of it when he tried to return them and they told him to keep it. so he wasnt sure what to do but asked my dad and my dad said sure and took it off him, i even activated them fully and they work great.