Program when modem connects to Internet

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Program when modem connects to Internet

Hi Everyone,

Is  there a way to control when the Modem conects to the internet through SW settings?. I don't want programmable electrical outlets, I need something difficult to tamper with.

As a parent, I need to control the amount of time my kids spend on the internet, they barely have sleep time, I need something that can disconnect the internet service at night and restore in the morning automatically, is it possible? does rogers offers this service?.

Thanks

Osx

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm an Advisor

Re: Program when modem connects to Internet

@OSX:

there are ways to control when computers on your home modem/network can access the Internet.  And these ways are secure so only you as the parent will have access to them, if you set it up that way.

As an example of ways to do this, consider the Cisco DPC3825 cable modem/gateway which is offered by Rogers if you use cable access to the Internet.  This modem/gateway allows you to control access by time of day and day of the week.  The process of doing this may take a little work on your part to learn the interface, and experience as to how best to employ it.

You can check out the documentation on the Cisco DPC3825 here:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4021196_B.pdf

The internet access controls are documented on p 65 of the above manual

Many other gateways and routers have similar functionality.  I can't tell from your posting which kind of Internet access you use, so investigate these, and see what will work for you.

Let us know if there is more you wish to discuss.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

@skinorth

Thank you, this really helps! I'll look into the CISCO device, this might be the solution I'm looking for..

Regards

Osx

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I personally wouldn't be switching to a gateway modem/router combo just for that functionality when the wireless for most of these combo units is horribad.

If you have a router already (as you most likely already do have), I really do recommend you looking into its manual for setting up this functionality.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Program when modem connects to Internet; wireless performance comparison needed?

@Ressy:

I would agree with your comment: "I personally wouldn't be switching to a gateway modem/router combo just for that functionality.....", for the most part.

I was mentioning the Cisco modem/gateway device because:

a) I had recently scanned its documentation and had it easily at hand, and specifically remembered that it could perform the required function;

b) I did not wish to make any assumptions regarding the original poster OSX's technical experience or whatever other related equipment he/she might already have available; and

c) the Cisco device is currently available through Rogers and would therefore be a quick and easy option if OSX wanted to go that route, and in fact was a Rogers cable internet subscriber.

I should also mention that I actually do not have personal experience with the Cisco DPC3825.  But I have seen reports that the Cisco device, unlike the SMC gateway does have reasonable wireless performance.  Perhaps a Cisco DPC3825 owner/user can comment on this and help us out.  What would be most interesting is a side-by-side performance comparison of various wireless devices to help us all out in this regard.

skinorth

I've Been Around

I've tried using the time of day features but they don't seem to work.

I'm very familiar with using the firewall features on other cisco wireless devices but this one has me miffed.

If anyone has the time of day filter working I'd surely be interested.