Procedure for getting a phone from another carrier onto Rogers?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I was just wondering what the procedure was for getting another phone that is purchased outright from a source outside of Rogers.  For example if I were to pay full price for the Samsung Galaxy from Bell, would I be able to get it unlocked and just put in the Rogers SIM I have for my current phone and that's it?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Procedure for getting a phone from another carrier onto Rogers?

It depends if bell is going to sell the Galaxy S unlocked. Which i dont think it will be. However, if the phone is unlocked all you would need to do is put your rogers sim in the device.

I Plan to Stick Around

Phones from other carriers are generally sold with a SIM lock in place but there are dozens of online unlocking services available for $10 - $40 depending on the brand/model of phone you are trying to unlock.  Once the phone is unlocked you can put your SIM card in and start making phone calls right away.  

The data on a phone from another carrier may not work right away though, you may need to manually enter the Access Point Name into your new phone.

Red Board has an excellent post on the APN settings for Rogers and Fido 

http://redboard.rogers.com/?s=APN+android

I Plan to Stick Around

There has also been problems from unlocked Bell phones on the Rogers network. If you wanted to buy a phone outside from Rogers, its best to get it overseas where they sell it unlocked or order it online from plemix or any similar sites
I Plan to Stick Around

You must thorougly research your device before attempting this.  Many networks operate on different frequencies and thus will not be able to contact the network.  If I remember correctly Bell uses a completely seperate set of frequencies then Rogers so purchasing a Samsung Vibrant from Bell would be like purchasing a several hundred dollar paper weight.

Of note, The Samsung Captivate, virtually the same phone as the Vibrant with a different name, will be out within weeks so if that is the phone you want simply be patient.

I've Been Here Awhile

"If I remember correctly Bell uses a completely seperate set of frequencies then Rogers so purchasing a Samsung Vibrant from Bell would be like purchasing a several hundred dollar paper weight."

@MyLiege Your memory isn't serving you correctly. Both Bell and Rogers use the same frequencies, that's HSPA 850mhz and HSPA 1900mhz. As long as the Samsung Vibrant from Bell is unlocked, you can use it on Rogers, Bell or Telus.

A little more advanced info here. Samsung Vibrant also support GSM. This means, when you are connected to Rogers, you also have access to Rogers GSM network. It has slower data speed than HSPA, but a good backup to have. Because Bell and Telus network were built from a different technology, this option is not available.

I Plan to Stick Around

Be careful when ordering from places such as this.  A lot of these stores import their phone from European or Asian countries, and these European or Asian models may not be compatible with HSPA frequencies bands in North America.  Therefore check the specs of the phone carefully before buying.

@Nerds2You wrote:

You can also buy fully unlocked phones from places like 

http://www.omegacell.com who are located in Edmonton but will ship anywhere.

They carry the Galaxy S and many others.

I Plan to Stick Around

@rgl168 wrote:

Be careful when ordering from places such as this.  A lot of these stores import their phone from European or Asian countries, and these European or Asian models may not be compatible with HSPA frequencies bands in North America.  Therefore check the specs of the phone carefully before buying.

They have a very concise list of all the Canadian carriers and what functionality it will have on each network for every model of phone that they list.

I've Been Here Awhile

$50 to unlock my phone because i'm switching to Fido - another Rogers company. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Unless it is an iPhone, there are numerous places out there who will unlock your phone for $15-20. You do not always have to deal with Robbers!