Problems with installing an external hard drive on my HD PVR

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Problems with installing an external hard drive on my HD PVR

So over the weekend I purchased an external hard drive to install on my Rogers Explorer 8642HD PVR Box. The installation went fine, connected to the esata port on the back of the box. The only issue I am having is when I turn everything on in the morning the PVR gives me a message about how the drive is correctly formatted to work with the PVR and how to disconnect the drive properly. It says to hit the exit button to get rid of the message but  for some reason that message causes the PVR to crash and reboot itself. I am using a 1TB Western Digital hard drive. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Problems with installing an external hard drive on my HD PVR

Which WD Drive did you get?

I got the "Black" one, which is the most recommended for this use.

Some of the other WD Drives ("Green"?) are not as stable.

You can find more details here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=123790

I'm Here A Lot

I bought the "Blue"one, which is the laptop one because I had a laptop hard drive enclosure I wasn't using. When it is working it works fine and the initial connection worked fine. But everytime the PVR wakes up in the morning it (at least yesterday and today) it gives me the message about how to disconnect and then crashes. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you still have the recordings? or are they lost now on the boot?

I am guessing since esata, its a powered external enclosure?

The blue series.. SHOULD be ok, i would think.. the green ones as mentioned are not that great, as they tend to spin at slower speeds to save power.

Blacks are most reccomended, as they spin at higher speeds.

I'm Here A Lot

Haven't lost any recordings, although the PVR is only like 10% full (it was at 55% before plugging in the hard drive)  so I am not sure if any recordings have gone on the hard drive yet. 

It is a powered enclosure.I am using the USB connection on the enclosure connected to a USB wall adapter to power it. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So it IS showing the drive then likely it sounds..
The drop in % is normal.. mine went from about 60% to 15% when i added mine.

Only thing i could think.. is that the powering via the USB, isnt QUITE enough for the eSATA.. and it could be complaining when trying to initialize the drive properly at times.
Does the enclosure have a seperate power plug?  (likely dont have the power adapter though, right?)

I'm Here A Lot

Yea it has a power plug but no adapter. I had all the stuff for powering it from USB which is why I did it that way. I might have to look into getting a proper adapter though if I can't find another solution.

Would it make any difference if I plugged the USB cable from the enclosure to the USB port in the back of the PVR? Could I get power that way?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

If your external hard drive is a 3.5" full size drive it will require an external power supply.   USB ports cannot provide enough power to these drives.   Only 2.5"  (ie. notebook sized hard drives) can get enough power from a USB port (ideally USB3 which has more current available).

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If its powering at all from the USB, its likely a 2.5" drive.. i have never seen a full size which can power via USB.

A USB port, PERIOD, should provide 5v power. 
Pluged into the adapeter like you have, should provide technicaly a better chance of a full 5v compared to say into the USB on the box..  based on what else is running, other USB devices, etc there could be a chance of not a full voltage from the USB ports itself.

I just looked at one i have on my desk here.. it has a separate DC input.. lists only as 5v (was thinking it might be higher).. so the V shouldnt be a difference...
BUT.. pluged into the ac adapter, could provide maybe a more CONSISTANT voltage, than via the USB.

I'm Here A Lot

The wall charger/USB adapter is the one that I used for my kindle. Looking at the specs for though it appears that it only has an output of 0.85 amps. The requirements for my enclosure are minimum 1A.  I have another USB wall adapter on the way that I ordered last week with two USB ports on it that can put out one amp (the USB cable that came with the enclosure has like a double connector on one end for more power). I am hoping that adapter shows up this week, if it does hopefully it will work better. If not I will probably return the hard drive and get a 3.5 inch one with a new enclosure, since trying to find an proper AC adapter for the enclosure doesn't seem easy.