Problems sending mail with Thunderbird!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Problems sending mail with Thunderbird!

Hi Guys,  I`ve been using FireFox with Rogers for years. Now I suddenly can`t send any emails...I keep getting this...

"An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  Cannot establish SSL with SMTP server 206.190.36.18:465, SSL_connect error 38"

Then this...

"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.broadband.rogers.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again or contact your network administrator."

I`ve tried every setting change I can think of...so frustrating. Nothing has worked...anyone have ANY idea? Please?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Re: Problems sending mail with Thunderbird!

Hi King-Harvest!

Welcome to the Forums.

If you are using an @rogers.com e-mail address in Thunderbird, it looks like you may have accidentally configured outgoing SSL. Rogers doesn't use SSL for e-mail. You can try disabling that by:
1) Click on Tools >> Account Settings.
2) On the Account Settings, click on Outgoing Server (SMTP) on the left menu, then you should see your list of Outgoing servers and click Edit.
3) In the SMTP Server window, under "Use secure connection:" select No and make sure the "Port:" is set to 587 and click Ok.

As long as your e-mail address and password are correct, that should correct the error.

Let us know how that goes!
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Reggie, Thanks for trying to help but I`ve tried that and it didn`t  work.  I haven`t changed anything on my end (prior to the problem) and the mail WILL work  sometimes.  But sending every email at least 5 times is getting old.   Seems like something has changed on the receiving server...

Retired Moderator

Sorry about that,

Usually, as soon as you see SSL, that's a trigger because Rogers doesn't use that for e-mail. It could also be that something is blocking your connection to the outgoing mail server, like a firewall. If you have a firewall, you may want to try disabling it temporarily to see if that helps. If not, you might want to remove all the settings from Thunderbird and set it up again. This shouldn't affect the e-mails that are already stored in that program. We don't have settings for Thunderbird specifically, but you can check all the POP settings for different e-mail clients here:

http://help.yahoo.com//l/ca/rogers/mail/yahoomail/mailplus/pop/

The basic settings should be the same for all POP mail clients, it's just the interface that changes. There haven't been any changes done on the Rogers side that would cause that type of error.
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks again Reggie, but again, I`ve already tried all that...it`s something on Rogers end that`s changed. I even went and got an older version of Thunderbird to try...no joy. I also switched out the computer, for one that was never updated, but was working about a month ago...No way.  Really don`t know what else to try...

Retired Moderator

Hi King-Harvest,

Those are all of the settings you should need to send and receive mail. As a test to check your account, are you able to send and receive mail through Rogers webmail at http://mail.rogers.com?