cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with wifi connection

charles1993
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers 100M/10M

WIFI has problem. Sometimes, i cannot search wifi on my laptop, cellphone ,ipad..., but i can still connet internet when i using wire. and both 2.4G and 5G signal icon are dark. The cable connet behind the modem is hot. So far my solution is restart modem after 10 mins, but i hate do that again and again since it occurs 2-4 times per day. I have already change the modem 3 times! what should i do???

***Edited Labels***

92 REPLIES 92

Re: Problem with wifi connection

-Randy-
I've Been Here Awhile

I tried the login and pass suggested, but it keeps telling me it's the wrong password. Is there a default one I should be trying?

@-Randy- depending on which modem and which firmware version is loaded, you might be able to try the following:

username:  cusadmin

password:  password    (if this was never changed from the initial installation)

The new firmware versions have done away with the default password for security purposes and now step you thru a setup process that sets the wifi passphrase and modem password to the same password/passphrase. Those can be changed by logging back into the modem and setting each one to different phrases if you so choose. 

If the default password doesn't work and you can't remember what the password is, you can either run a factory reset by pressing the recessed reset button at the back of the modem for 30 seconds and releasing it, or, call tech support to set the modem password to a new password of your choosing.  The factory reset would require you to reset all of the modem parameters. 

-Randy-
I've Been Here Awhile

That last suggestion worked! Thank you so much! Now my kids can update their Animal Crossing game. ^_^

Pinaca
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite 30 will not hold connection in my new apartment

My home wifi will not hold the connection. This has been an ongoing issue since May 2017. It's gotten so bad that it will drop every few minutes. I was advised to upgrade to the Ignite 30 but the problem still persists. I have changed modems, Tech support has been out several times only to run the same diagnostic with no results. I live in an apartment. The odd thing is that for the first 6 months, my connection was solid. I am at at loss, of time and money for a product that will not work and tech support that has not advised or tried alternative diagnostics ... I think its a cable/power issue. Thoughts before I cancel ???

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@Pinaca wrote:

Ignite 30 will not hold connection in my new apartment

My home wifi will not hold the connection. This has been an ongoing issue since May 2017. It's gotten so bad that it will drop every few minutes. I was advised to upgrade to the Ignite 30 but the problem still persists. I have changed modems, Tech support has been out several times only to run the same diagnostic with no results. I live in an apartment. The odd thing is that for the first 6 months, my connection was solid. I am at at loss, of time and money for a product that will not work and tech support that has not advised or tried alternative diagnostics ... I think its a cable/power issue. Thoughts before I cancel ???

Hi Pinaca,

First of all I can understand how frustrating this may be for you. One of the problems is that you mentioned 2 different problems in your post. If you call for troubleshooting and say that your wifi is intermittent, the wrong troubleshooting and results will occur. If you are not disconnecting from wifi, but loosing internet access, then whether or not you have any wired (ethernet) devices, it is not a wifi issue. Call for intermittent internet. If there are issues found on your line after testing, the we need to send a technician. If no issues are found and you have already swapped the modem, then a ticket needs to be escalated so that your connection can be monitored. The ticket process usually takes a minimum of 5 days (48 hours to be picked up, and 72 hours of monitoring your connection). Be very specific about when this happens, and what you are doing at the time the issue happens. Plug your modem directly to a wall outlet to eliminate power issues. Try to note the lights on the modem when it happens. CGN2 - the 4 on the far right, DPC3825 - the 4 on the left, all other Hitron modems - the top 4.

It is important to call tech support during the period you are having issues but the modem will need to be online for tests to be run.

Brian

Pinaca
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello Brian,

I have had many Techs out and even a senior tech. I was promised it would be monitored but it never was. I was told he would be the one to contact directly and he never returned any of my calls. I use Intermittent because that is what I was told it was. I have recorded dates and times. This is all on file and even video showing that once the signal drops, first the upload arrow will flash then it will be solid, then the download arrow flashes but never becomes solid. 

Tech Scott arrived, July 7th, at apprx 5:30pm and left by 7pm. Everything is working great at this time.

First drop July 14 .
Second drop July 15th @ 10:40am
Have video reconnect @ 10:56am
3rd  home at 2:04pm same flash mode. Unscrewed cable, connected and wifi up again
2:21pm dropped again, reconnect 2:40pm
Dropped 4:20pm & 4:58pm, reconnect at 5:15pm , 7:20 & 10:02pm
July 16 3:07pm until 4:11pm still no connection even after reset heavy pixels on tv when down. Reconnect at 4:23pm. Dropped at 4:28pm reconnect at 4:28pm dropped 4;47pm , 5:16pm,7:10pm,8:20pm
July 17, 8:30am down now for 1.5hrs again at 10:33am,11:50am,12:10pm ,4:30pm,5:20pm,6:05pm,6:13pm,6:29pm,6:52pm,7:14pm  

It was recommended that I should try to relocate and to use the power bar if it may be a dirty/old outlet issue. This is difficult for me to do without a splitter or entended amounts of cable. My biggest issue is that when the Techs do come out, there is not change of anything. Everything remains as is, not new cables are run.. nothing new is tried. How can you diagnose an ongoing issue if the same process is applied with the exact same result and not try something else??? 

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@Pinaca wrote:

Hello Brian,

I have had many Techs out and even a senior tech. I was promised it would be monitored but it never was. I was told he would be the one to contact directly and he never returned any of my calls. I use Intermittent because that is what I was told it was. I have recorded dates and times. This is all on file and even video showing that once the signal drops, first the upload arrow will flash then it will be solid, then the download arrow flashes but never becomes solid. 

Tech Scott arrived, July 7th, at apprx 5:30pm and left by 7pm. Everything is working great at this time.

First drop July 14 .
Second drop July 15th@ @ 10:40am
@Have video reconnect @ 10:56am
3rd  home at 2:04pm same flash mode. Unscrewed cable, connected and wifi up again
2:21pm dropped again, reconnect 2:40pm
Dropped 4:20pm & 4:58pm, reconnect at 5:15pm , 7:20 & 10:02pm
July 16 3:07pm until 4:11pm still no connection even after reset heavy pixels on tv when down. Reconnect at 4:23pm. Dropped at 4:28pm reconnect at 4:28pm dropped 4;47pm , 5:16pm,7:10pm,8:20pm
July 17, 8:30am down now for 1.5hrs again at 10:33am,11:50am,12:10pm ,4:30pm,5:20pm,6:05pm,6:13pm,6:29pm,6:52pm,7:14pm  

It was recommended that I should try to relocate and to use the power bar if it may be a dirty/old outlet issue. This is difficult for me to do without a splitter or entended amounts of cable. My biggest issue is that when the Techs do come out, there is not change of anything. Everything remains as is, not new cables are run.. nothing new is tried. How can you diagnose an ongoing issue if the same process is applied with the exact same result and not try something else??? 

Your issue is a connection issue between the modem and CMTS. It's not you loosing WiFi, but rather the modem loosing it's connection to The Rogers CMTS. Have the techs tried to swap the modem with a different modem? I Would suggest you swap the modem and power cord, then plug it into a different outlet somewhere else just to test. How old is the building? 

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Although I agree with most of what has been said here, I have a general comment - the average home user is not necessarily going to know the difference between a WIFI or an incoming signal or CMTS issue - they will know their devices are not connecting.

It is the responsibility of the tech on the first call to guide the trouble shooting - i.e., turn off all wifi connections, plug in an ethernet connection (that is if you even have one).  If you don't there will be no way to do any further testing by the user and it will still be unknown whether it is WIFI, signal, connections or WIFI - therefore a tech must come out and test further.

So it wold not surprise me at all if there are no shortage of people who call in and say their wifi is intermittent.

So, the second suggestion that if you are disconnected from wifi, but lose Internet access- just how would they know they are losing Intenet connection, unless someone has asked them to look at the lights on the front of the modem - plus from the back end, they can trouble shoot.

So I am sure the poster appreciates the additional trouble shooting tests, and the reference to lights, and time lines, but everything you have mentioned, I see as the responsibility of the support staff and the techs that come out.  They shouldn't have to be coming to the forum for basic trouble shooting steps - what do we pay all this money for if support and techs can't carry out the basic steps and advise to the customer on how to proceed and narrow down her two questions.  that is what trouble shooting, at least the way I learned it is all about - gathering full information from the customer, running down various obvious directions, try others, and keep going until you run out of test you can do from the back end and through instruction to the customer, then send out a very qualified tech with full communication to the back end staff, full testing equipment, an extra modem and so forth.

So all excellent information Brian, but all all the explanations don't provide a clear answer to the question  - I am at a loss of time, money for a product that will not work, and tech support that has not advised or tried alternative diagnostics.

As I often say, this is a valid reason for opening a ticket, and escalating for explanation on why such limited testing and diagnostics were done, both from their view and from the recommendations just given.

Just saying, let's not pass the responsibility for trial and error testing when we have no access to her equipment, signal strength and so forth, when the responsibility is Rogers.

Bruce

Personally before cancelling, I would escalate, confirm a ticket is open, and set a time frame for yourself of how long you are willing to put up with this, and also ask for compensation for money and your time.

p.s.  after reading the additional full description of what you have done so far - I would definitely escalate through the escalation and concern process - go to myRogers contact us, report a concern, and go to a chat or message to management team.  The length of time is not acceptable from my perspective.  It is a Rogers problem, so use the escalation process to keep it in their hands and making them accountable all the way to the CCTC if necessary to provide quality timely services.

Bruce

Pinaca
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you so much for your understanding. It has been a very frustrating process. Now that I am ready to cancel.. they are willing to change all my cable... 😞  very unhappy. I have asked for it to be escalated previously and was still denied. It's really a shame. Don't know if I will continue with the appt that was set up without my say so.  

Pinaca
I've Been Here Awhile

No modem was ever swaped unless we went out and did it ourselves....5 times, no cables  ever replaced or anything... they never even unplugged the modem to see how it reconnects.. only one online tech support , on the 18th, suggested what you did ... never a on site tech.

Stan55
I'm Here A Lot

Hi there,Ive been a Rogers customer for about 10 years so far. Im living at the same building(just change a 1 bdr apartment on 3rd floor to   bachelor apartment on 9th floor).I have not  had any problems with my internet living on 3rd floor,but when I changed the floor and upgrade my internet to advanced one I started to have connection problems.These problems are incoming since 2013,so its 4 years so fast as I struggle with Rogers internet.That being said its not about wired connection,its wi fi problem.For 3 years I was constantly losing my connection with a message "connection between your router and access point lost" or something like that. I asked about 6 time tech to come and they never detected anything(well,just changing the router).Sometimes I`ve experienced 20-30 connection loss per night,which was a nightmare.I have an advanced modem Hitron CGN3 and Im paying about 84$ per month which is absolutely disrespectful from Rogers to not fix anything yet.The apartment is really small and router is located on floor of living room just 1-1.5 meters from my laptop.Last 3-4 months Im trying to change these faulty routers every 2-3 weeks because they stop working after that period of time.

RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Stan55 Have you asking the agent at the Rogers store to see if you can swap your CGN3 for one of the newer modems at no extra cost? 

No I have not,havent even heard about that.

@Stan55 it might be of some benefit to swap modems.  If you're on an unlimited internet plan you would be eligible for the CODA-4582 which is the most recent modem released by Rogers. 

But, before you consider doing that, please have a read thru the following post, which is in response to a similar situation:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/slow-wifi/m-p/399949#M47222

Fwiw, apartments can be a difficult environment when it comes to resolving wifi issues.  That's simply due to the number of wifi users in a very confined area all of whom are trying to use the same wifi channels.  Since there are only three 2.4 Ghz channels which don't overlap, those being 1, 6 and 11, that makes 2.4 networks very difficult to use, if not impossible in some cases.  The 5 Ghz space isn't so bad, but in terms of wifi channels in that band, it can be still be difficult to find a clear channel.  The CODA-4582 with the current trial version can run Dynamic Frequency Selection channels in the mid 5 Ghz range.  Although those channels use lower output power, the fact that very few users operate in that range would make it much easier to run a wifi network.  Its not a panacea however, as those channels must be clear of any Weather Radar which is commonly found near airports.  If a Weather Radar transmission is detected, then the modem will shut down that channel and attempt to find another channel.  With a Weather Radar in operation nearby, that can be a long process, up to 13 minutes if the modem stays within the DFS range for that entire time before finally giving up and moving out of the DFS range to find a usable channel.  For those individuals who can make use of those channels, it might be an ideal situation.  Each user will be different in their ability to use the DFS channels or not.  It will take some experimentation for users to determine that. 

Here's a link to a brief DFS channel explanation:

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-763.html

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@Stan55 wrote:

Hi there,Ive been a Rogers customer for about 10 years so far. Im living at the same building(just change a 1 bdr apartment on 3rd floor to   bachelor apartment on 9th floor).I have not  had any problems with my internet living on 3rd floor,but when I changed the floor and upgrade my internet to advanced one I started to have connection problems.These problems are incoming since 2013,so its 4 years so fast as I struggle with Rogers internet.That being said its not about wired connection,its wi fi problem.For 3 years I was constantly losing my connection with a message "connection between your router and access point lost" or something like that. I asked about 6 time tech to come and they never detected anything(well,just changing the router).Sometimes I`ve experienced 20-30 connection loss per night,which was a nightmare.I have an advanced modem Hitron CGN3 and Im paying about 84$ per month which is absolutely disrespectful from Rogers to not fix anything yet.The apartment is really small and router is located on floor of living room just 1-1.5 meters from my laptop.Last 3-4 months Im trying to change these faulty routers every 2-3 weeks because they stop working after that period of time.

@Stan55

as @RyzenFX said call Rogers and ask if your plan allows you to swap to the newer modems. If you are on an unlimited plan (100u or higher) you can swap to the CODA 4582 Modem. With that said how many devices are connected to the router? Are you having problems with the wired devices, or just Wireless devices? Does your current router only broadcast using 2.4Ghz, or is it dual band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? If you have dual band then always try and use the 5Ghz Band when possible. 2.4Ghz is VERY Congested, so disconnects can happen in a crowded environment. 

The first thing to do is log in to the modem and change the WiFi settings. For security use WPA 2 with AES Encryption, channel width 20mhz. For wireless channels use only 1, 6, or 11. You can download a WiFi analyzer to see what channels everyone is using, choose one of the three channels that isn't being used by everyone. I

For 5Ghz use the same security settings, but channel width 80mhz, and channels 149 or higher. 

Stan55
I'm Here A Lot

I dont have unlimited data usage,as I remember correct I have 150 GB.I use only laptop and sometimes smart phone,so its not dozen of devices connected at the same time.I use 2.4 Ghz,I remember I was trying to use 5Ghz but it wasnt available for laptop ,only for smart phone and I dont know why.

Stan55
I'm Here A Lot
The first thing to do is log in to the modem and change the WiFi settings. For security use WPA 2 with AES Encryption, channel width 20mhz. For wireless channels use only 1, 6, or 11. You can download a WiFi analyzer to see what channels everyone is using, choose one of the three channels that isn't being used by everone

It sounds like a rocket science for me

@Stan55, if you’re not comfortable making the changes to the wifi settings yourself, call tech support and ask the CSR to set the following wifi parameters for you.  The CSR should be able to do that for you.

2.4 Ghz wifi:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 n 
Channel Bandwidth:  20 Mhz. 
Wireless channel:  1  You can try setting this to 1, 6 or 11

WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Authentication Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encryption Mode:  AES only

5 Ghz wifi:

Wireless Mode:  802.11 a/n/ac mixed
Channel Bandwidth:  80 Mhz
Wireless channel:  149
WPS Enabled:  OFF
Security Mode:  WPA-Personal
Authentication Mode:  WPA2-PSK
Encryption Mode:  AES only

When tech support has completed the changes and the parameters are saved, the modem should be rebooted. Tech support should be able to initiate the reboot, and confirm that the settings are intact after the reboot is complete.

Here are a couple of slides that show those same settings in a CODA-4582.  The settings page should look very similar to your modem.  If you log into the modem navigate to the WIRELESS …. BASIC SETTINGS tab.  There you will see the following sub-tabs for the 2.4 and 5 Ghz settings.  All you have to do is change the settings as indicated, keeping your network name and password of course.  The network names and passphrases shown below are test character sets only.  If you do run into any problems, you can always call tech support for help.

One of the moderators will have to approve the images so that they can be seen.

10_WIRELESS - Basic Setings - 2.4 Ghz.jpg

11_WIRELESS - Basic Settings 5G(Hz).jpg

I tried to do it myself but system doesnt allow me to log into the router settings although password and username I entered was correct

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@Stan55 wrote:

I tried to do it myself but system doesnt allow me to log into the router settings although password and username I entered was correct

@Stan55

What is the error message you are getting when you try and log in to the modem? 

Worst case scenario factory reset the router and setup again. To Factory reset use a pen tip to push and hold the reset button for 15 seconds then let go once the modem reboots.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Poor wi-fi speeds on the ACR

Wondering if the folks here can shed some light...

BACKGROUND:  Was on a 60mb plan with the Hitron CGN3.  No matter the device I used, I could consistently get the promised 60mb speed..even exceeding it at times. 

When my contract was up, I upgraded to Ignite250, and got the CGN3ACR modem.

PROBLEM:  Since I installed the ACR, I can't wifi speed above 20mb on anything.  THe only device I can get 250mb on is a wired laptop.

Since I know I can get at least 60mb on my devices (I did on the old modem), is there anything I can do or settings I need to play with to get the "better" modem up to the speeds I'm supposed to get?

Topic Stats