Problem accesing home network remotely

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Problem accesing home network remotely

I have a home network setup on my Rogers internet consisting of a desktop computer, a laptop, a tablet, a large backup storage device, and a printer.

I am currently in hospital and have subscribed to the hospital's internt service.  Blue Valet (Bell).  It works fine with my laptop however I am unable to access my home network on the Rogers system.

I would assume my problem is due to attempting to cross from one IPS to another, sort of like going from one country to another without a passport.

Any suggestions on how I can access my home network on Rogers?  The Blue Valet support people had no ideas to help.

Since I am hospital bound for another month I would like to find a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Problem accesing home network remotely

I don't think the issue is so much with what ISP you're usng (internet access is internet access), but is your home network setup to allow remote access, which probably has more to do with your router/firewall settings, etc.....but someone more network savvy than me can confirm.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would be my first question.

What/how are you trying to access at home? Remote Desktop? Vnc? FTP?
Was it set up before now and did it work fine then?

Some things as mentioned require port forwarding, etc, and there are some issues recently with the Hitron modems and port forwarding.

Other modems those things seem to work fine.

Now, that is not to say that there could be something with the service there that is blocking it. They may only provide basic services out (http, pop/smtp, etc) but all other ports and types of connections are blocked, to prevent them being abused (torrents, etc)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi GDkitty,
I had same problem to use Remote Desktop or SharePoint to connect application using office note book.

I was with Bell Internet before but never faced this problem .
Do you know to whom i can talk to get this access so that I can work from Home.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As far as i know, all you should need to do, is port forward the remote desktop port.
(3389 i beleive?) to your specific PC you want to remote to.