Problem CGN3 Modem with D-Link DGS 108 router.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Problem CGN3 Modem with D-Link DGS 108 router.

Hi everyone, I really hope someone can point my in the right direction here. I've called support four time with no or little help. I have seven ethernet devices, two computers, WD media box, Vonage box, Mybook Live, Xbox and Wii. I purchased a eight port D-Link DGS router that I've plugged all the devices into with an ethernet connection directly to the CGN3 Modem.

The problem is when the computers are connected to the router the speed drops significantly. I have a 250/20 connection and all I get is around 50Mbps. The speed is fine when I connect the computers directly to the modem but I would prefer to have everything going to the same router as I use Mybook Live for file sharing.

Tech support suggested to disable the Gateway option but this disables the WIFI and the D-Link router doesn't have wireless. I've came across multiple answers which include IP address conflicts and bridge modes. It would be great if someone had a similar experience with their hardware and to see what solution will fix this issue.

Is it possible to have the router in bridge mode and still keep its WIFI?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Problem CGN3 Modem with D-Link DGS 108 router.

According to "The Google" your D-Link DGS 108 is a swtich, not a router. In which case you want to make sure that you are using a cross over cable to connect your switch to the cable modem while the cable modem is in gateway mode. 

Since the switch is unmanaged, there isn't anyway to get stats off of it. The best thing I can tell you is to make sure the link lights on the switch is showing gigabit speed. It almost sounds like you are on 100mbps half duplex.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Problem CGN3 Modem with D-Link DGS 108 router.

Thanks gisuck,

I'm getting the gigbit green lights on the devices that have gigabit so that's fine. I had no idea about the crossover cable, after a little searching I found the wiring diagram for it. I'll make a cable this evening and let you know how it works out.

Thanks very much,

Chris