Pro Tip: Local Scout in Canada

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Pro Tip: Local Scout in Canada

Most you Windows Phone users may know this already, but for people who have recently picked up a Lumia 710 or 900 this may be of interest.

In the US when WP users press the seach button in addition the the voice, vision and music options in Bing they also get Local Scout, which brings up nearby places to eat, shop and do. Due to Bing in Canada not being as useful, Canadian users have to do a workaround.

Simply go to your phones settings, go to region+language, scroll down to the botton where you will see Browser & Search Language. Change this setting to English (United States) and you will have Local Scout on your phone. I believe you should also have location services turned on. Local Scout is definitely a nice feature to have.

******* Edit labels ********

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Pro Tip: Local Scout in Canada

Good find, the only big cost I see is you're getting US settings like Miles instead of KM....

Wish they would hurry up and get that feature enabled outside the US...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

As long as you only change the browser/search setting it should still be in km's.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@SCHUEY wrote:

As long as you only change the browser/search setting it should still be in km's.

You're right, very cool!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Didn't work on my phone.

No Idea why.  *shrug*

EDIT Didn't have location turn on, doof!  Works now.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thanks for the tip! Works great

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

While this works, my complaint is that Microsoft's location database seems very incomplete for Montreal at least. Probably why the feature was not turned on for Canada.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Very cool but isn't that the same as Nokia Here?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Glen_B

Almost the same. Also this thread was started in 2012 when the devices first came out
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Meowmix but I'll stick with Here if I want to use that feature.   I did find Here useful occasionally but more for the quick search capability than the visual effects of locations on the screen.