Price Increase

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Price Increase

Judging by the content and prices of the new packages, I suspect my grandfathered VIP will not survive too long because it has a lot more value.  At least I'm not trapped in a bundle because the only other service I have with Rogers is PayGo, which is entirely separate.  OTOH, my Internet is 15 Mbps DSL with another provider, bundled with my landline.  Bundling puts you over a barrel and inhibits switching providers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR  You have a very good point there - if you are bundled and contracted, you are between a rock and a hard place.

I spent some time over the last week, seeing what the best priced, bottom level bundle would be taking everything down to starter TV, my two DTA's, 30Mbs Internet (would need to get a router, because the package uses the older gateways without dual band), and home phone package that meets my needs (3 features and longdistance north america).

Savings right off the bat - about 50.00 on my current package, no contract anymore, no price protections.   Yes, much less service provided, but my cable and Internet was a good deal at the time in the bundle, but with the new prices that will apply to keep current bundle, it is completely out of line.  I was willing to pay a little bit more to get what I wanted, along with lots of what I don't want, but won't continue that arrangement at the new prices being suggested to me, and even arranging savings with loyalty, I would keep my current contract until October, and then I start all over again in the retentions dance.

When looking at new bundles that are shown - new people only - you have to call in to discuss options if you are a current customer, so they can offer best value for customer needs.  But be aware - home phone is described as unlimited local - so when has a home phone ever not been unlimited in the local calling area - these aren't cell phones we are talking about - they are home phones, or are companies quietly moving to change that too? and note also on those new customer in market plans - local home phone for first 12 months only - discount for 12 months appears to be on the two item bundle of Internet and Cable, so it goes up after a year, and if you want home phone, that will be more too.

I am actually considering - cable with Rogers as I own the box, but on a basic plan, but as my wife has some channels she wants, I end up having to add three theme packs to get 4 channels she wishes.  That would just lead me to going a third party company, their Internet as it is currently required, and pick the company that allows for pure al a carte with reduced price when you buy 5, 10, or 20.

If I stay cable on Rogers, I will get Internet from someone else, and rather than home phone, go VOIP or just use our cells.

Maybe you and I are unique in our desire to get best value for price and meeting our basic needs, but I don't think we are - this recent switch will drive me away for the first time in a total of 34 years of using them whenever I lived somewhere Rogers was present - 24 years consequtive currently.

But currently, we are assessing our needs for cable by turning off all that we don't watch, and next we turn off channels that are not in the starter and then figuring out whether there are channels, we really feel we want enough to pay for them.

I may even consider the alternative that starts with a B, because they have pure ala carte with discounting on more channels - unfortunately they still do the contract business if you want a discounted install.

Each company has pros and cons, but I certainly think that it is time to break it all up and start all over.

Years ago, we started with Rogers Cable, and Bell phones, then we went to third party long distance providers, then we started adding a decoder for speciality channels (back when they got nailed with negative billing options - took a year free on some stuff and kept it) - then Internet came along - first we just did small ISP's and dial up, then Rogers came along and we went broadband, then their whole network was failing for weeks on end, we went Bell DSL, then when we moved, we went back to Rogers, because Bell was too far from the central station, and then next we went Rogers home phone and then moved Pay as you go to prepaid phones on family plans.

Now it is time to rething the whole mix and companies, and I can thank Rogers for giving me the last push with the new plans and the price increases for moving me in this direction of shopping around.

I currently have direct contact with a loyalty staff so I don't have to repeat, and they have been patient with me as I do my full shopping with them very aware that at the end of the day, I will be reducing services significantly, and that I may mix up companies to get the best deals.  Glad that contracts are out of the picture for most compaines at the moment.

Again, thank you Rogers for the not so gentle push for me to finally get off the Rogers train that I slowly got onto over the years, with more and more services, for just a few dollars more, when I didn't need or use most of what they offered me.  I will give them a chance to see if they can put together somthing that meets our finances, and provides us the minimum services that we are interested in - this is the true test of pick and pay, which we are very close to being there - just some are holding back on pure ala carte and keeping the "theme and speciality paks, that you end up paying 10.00 for with a whole bunch of things you may not want.  Same as before, just packaged differently, but at least now, we can say, nope, nope, nope to the ones we don't want, and maybe to some and yes to some rather than the old VIP with everything but the kitchen soup - it really was a good deal, but they have priced me out of it, while also taking things away that I do want.

Good discussion.  Happy shopping.

Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Did Rogers raise the price of 250u from 97.99 a month to 102.99?   My latest bill has a $5 price increase cant find any info online about prices changing so thought I would ask here.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

New Customer Contract Plan Goes Up $5 -Three Months into Contract

Is this even ethical? February I switched from Bell to Rogers because I was offered a better priced bundle plan by Rogers. Three months into the plan the bill went up $5/month? I asked Rogers Support what is going on and was told customers were sent an email in January regarding the price increase. What email? I signed up in February. Rogers Sales Rep failed to mention a price increase during the 2 year contract? He did say that by signing up for 2 years we would be guaranteed this bundle price plan.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@dywg wrote:

Is this even ethical? February I switched from Bell to Rogers because I was offered a better priced bundle plan by Rogers. Three months into the plan the bill went up $5/month? I asked Rogers Support what is going on and was told customers were sent an email in January regarding the price increase. What email? I signed up in February. Rogers Sales Rep failed to mention a price increase during the 2 year contract? He did say that by signing up for 2 years we would be guaranteed this bundle price plan.

I just went through all my old e-mails from Rogers I never received any e-mail informing me of the $5 price increase..  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Bromoran wrote:

@dywg wrote:

I just went through all my old e-mails from Rogers I never received any e-mail informing me of the $5 price increase..  

From reading the earlier posts in this thread it states that the last round of price increases were to take effect March 24th..  Why am I only seeing a price increase at the end of May?   Did Rogers raise the price of there internet twice in a three month period?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I too just saw two increases on my current bill, one on Internet and one on TV.  I do recall hearing about the increase that was coming - for me, at this moment I am on a price capped contract, but all the increases of the last two years kick in at the end of the contract.

This for me appears to the be increase for May, first reported back in March, I think - applied to my May-June services.

As for any new customers, I do not know how the new customer terms of service and agreements work for you guys and have never seen a copy for review (I haven't looked to be honest).

Review the original contract and pricing and terms from your original setup of service - you either got it at the store, or via email in a confirmation - if you never got it, it is a CRTC CCTC issue, as they have to provide you a paper copy or electronic copy if you agree to it (note I did say if you agree to it), when they ask you for your email address for your confirmation, they are implicitying getting you to agree to electronic, you are allowed to say, no I want paper.

If you have it read over the terms, understand whether their were any price increase restrictions in your term, or whether it says price increases or changes in services can occur with notice (then if so, did you get notice?)

Then contact Rogers and discuss it the terms, whether you were advised, and if not satisfied, use the escalation process -  shown at http://www.rogers.com/web/support/account/ombudsman/376?setLanguage=en

You don't have to use the Ombudsman by the way, you can go directly to CCTC if you reach that level - rarely do people have to go to that level, usually resolved along the way - it is time consuming, and do make sure you have all documentation available of your purchase, any confirmations, quotes, terms, etc, any phone calls (and this message on here doesn't count, but you can refer to it - we are not Rogers, we are just peer customers like you who like to help).

Not sure if TV is under CCTC yet, but Internet is, and if CCTC is not handling it yet, they will request you contact CRTC.  CRTC was moving everything to CCTC.

Good luck on determining how you want to proceed with your perception on the price increase.

It is not an issue being ethical, it is all tied to communication and your terms and contracts - it is business and always remember if you document your calls - verbal offers by law are legally binding - they can confirm things with the recordings, but they don't usually go there until you go the higher levels.

Good luck and hope your future dealings with your services and accounts are more satisfactory.

Bruce

Highlighted

Hi @dywg,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post.

An unexpected increase in bill can definitely be of concern. We would have a better understanding of the cause of increase once we review your account. Since Community is a public platform I'd recommend you to reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to clear things up for you.

To learn more about our Private Messaging system, you can visit here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

RogersZia

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I also got an unexpected $5 price increase. Just another reason I'm going to cancel my service

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow.  I guess Rogers thinks they are extra-special and deserve price increases at three times the rate of inflation.  Rogers 30 just jumped to 72.99, when it was 64.99 two years ago.  HDTV specialty pack just jumped too.  My total bill for internet and TV is up 10.8% in two years, with no change in those services.  This is not sustainable.  Rogers: If you keep poking me with a sharp stick, I will make changes to stop the pain.