Pre-order the Lumia 920

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stokd
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Pre-order the Lumia 920

I picked mine up today! So far really loving the phone, but 3 questions. First, although there isn't really any NFC payment methods compatible with WP8 yet, is the SIM they put into the phone for me today a secure SIM or do I have to buy another one down the road? And second, every upgrade I've gotten since 2003 has included a SIM in the box. My old Focus had a full sized one, and this one obviously takes the micro. Should the store reps be charging me $12 for a micro SIM in store or does the phone usually still come with one? Lastly, where can I get a wireless charger? None of the retailers in Saskatoon say they'll be carrying any.

JMackey
I Plan to Stick Around

They're might not be any NFC payment methods compatible with WP8 yet but the NFC chip does have a bunch of interesting uses according to what I see in the SDK (I'm a developer),

Considering the phone has a NFC chip build in, I don't see why you'd need a special SIM card to use it. We just need some bank to write software that can use it. I could be wrong about this though...

As to getting a new sim card with the phone, I think they stopped that. When I got my Lumia 900, I had to purchase a new micro-SIM card too...

The charger will probably have to wait until the phone officially ships on the 12th.
tony_shi
I've Been Around

How I envy you! I'm always waiting for 920, but I still need to wait about two weeks to get it. Why China Mainland always the second batch of listed for sale.

stokd
I Plan to Stick Around

From my understanding, if both devices have NFC but one doesn't have the secure SIM or hardware that makes the transaction secure, the transaction will be rejected. Someone explained it better on a post I saw earlier but that's the general idea. Yeah, I really hope Windows Phone gains some more traction so we can use more of the features. With Windows 8 now launched I'm hoping it will see a lot of adoption around the holidays, which would spur on developers. It'd make it pretty easy too since both operating systems share the same core now, it'd be really easy to port over. The only thing I miss from my old iPhone is my banking app. This phone is pretty great otherwise though!

John555
I Plan to Stick Around

Looks like a few are getting lucky. Took a walk to 3 stores in in my work area. Only one of the stores has them. They got two, seems every store that got them recieved two units sold them as soon as the store opened on launch day. Doubt I will find one in this area as it's a very busy area. Still peeved that they didn't fill reserverations first, given the number of units...

Took a look at the reservation queue, still hasn't moved so stil no new stock sent to Rogers

John555
I Plan to Stick Around

@stokd wrote:

The only thing I miss from my old iPhone is my banking app. This phone is pretty great otherwise though!

I missed it for a while but I bookmarked the login screen and checked my card. It works pretty good. Microsoft was pretty smart with Windows 8. What a lot of people don't realize is one of the reasons Microsoft made Windows 8/RT apps was to also help the Windows Phone 8 eco system. It's a lot harder to pass on millions of PC users and once you write an app for that, it's pretty easy to port it to Windows Phone. Already starting to see that with a lot of popular app developers who have stated Windows/Phone 8 versions of their apps are coming....

Froid
I Plan to Stick Around

I've actually noticed a couple apps moving the other way as well... from Windows Phone to RT.  Apps that worked with a touchscreen phone format work great on the Surface too. 

I found 2 stores downtown Toronto that each said that got 2 on the first day.  I can just see the marketing genius that came up with this idea... "Hey we have an early shipment of the 920's but only 400 of them.  Lets send them out to stores and we get to say we were FIRST in the world."   Since they are holding MY money in order to get me a phone I am pretty pissed off at how this has rolled out.  I think I will research my options over lunch now. 

kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

I saw an option to lock the sim on the phone. And there are wireless chargers on ebay, some with good prices.
kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

I just found out from Nokia Canada that there is no way to program hard or soft pauses on the 920 for programmed numbers. Smiley Mad Smiley Mad

Entegy
I Plan to Stick Around

You should be able to add pauses to the number by logging into Hotmail Contacts and adding a "p" to the number where you want the pauses.

Anyway, more fun for me. 3 stores, one outright didn't have it, one didn't even have the price listed yet but one HAD THE PHONE! THEY HAD PHYSICAL UNITS!!!!!!

But they couldn't sell them because in the system all SKUs were priced at $10,000 to keep them from selling.

What the **bleep**!? Smiley Mad