Power supply for Rocket Hub/need replacement

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joettanne
I've Been Here Awhile

Power supply for Rocket Hub/need replacement

I purchased a Rocket Hub a little over a year ago.  So far, it has worked good for me.  But now the 15v power cord leading to the hub itself has a broken wire.   That has rendered the hub useless.  I have contacted Rogers but all I get from them is that they can not order me a cord?!!!   They told me I was to order one on line myself.   Has anyone else had this problem and if so, can you give me some suggestions how to rectify this problem.       Thanks

***Edited labels***

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Power supply for Rocket Hub/need replacement

@joettanne:

you did not mention which make of RocketHub you own.  The approach required to repair a problem like this depends on which 'Hub, as they use different power supplies, and different plugs/"cords".  Also, depending on what kind of damage you have, it may or may not be possible to do an actual repair.  You may well need replacement parts.

However, all that being said I believe you need to go back to Rogers and tell them that this is totally unacceptable.  They need to replace your unit as a malfunctioning device.  The power supply is essential to the operation of your RocketHub, and a malfunctioning or broken power supply/cord qualifies for replacement by them.  If they elect to replace the whole unit, that is their choice.  If they can supply simply a replacement power cord/supply, again, that is their choice.

With all the thousands of these units Rogers processes it is hard to imagine that they do not actually have what you need sitting around somewhere.   What it will take is for you to find someone at Rogers who recognizes their responsibilities as a company to support their customers.  In your contact with them, make sure you take down names and badge numbers of Rogers staff with whom you deal.  And if you get someone who will help you, mention them too!

If I were you I would be tempted to direct myself immediately to the President of Rogers for resolution if you do not get speedy help from them.

There are other ways this can be handled, outside of Rogers involvement.  And we may be able to help.  But we need to know the type of RocketHub you own.

But first, go to the top, and lambast them for their (so far) terrible customer service attitudes.

skinorth

Joettanne
I've Been Here Awhile

Hey thanks for the help Skinorth.   I should have been more specific.....Ericsson W35 Rocket Hub.   The cord comes in two parts, one that attaches to the back of the Hub itself.  This cord is the one that is broken.  There are 4 wires in a coated, flat cord that leads to the rectangle shaped power supply, then a regular looking cord plugs into the power supply box,  which in turn plugs into the wall receptacle.   Whew!  

It is a specific cord made for the W35, and can't seem to be obtained.  Rogers is of no help.  They just told me that they can't order it and I could check on line or go to the Future Shop?   I wonder....does Rogers have shares in Future shop or own  it?    I have completely exhausted my searches for this cord.   What bugs me is the response from Rogers.  They say that the cord is considered an accessory.  So be it....but you would think they could find one somewhere in this big world or have some replacement cords manufactured?     I wanted to let this be known.  I am sure there are lots of people out there with one of these devices.  And it works great!   But once the cord is bent too many times....that is the end of using your Hub.  And don't expect Rogers to support you.  

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@Joettanne:

to classify the power supply and cord as "accessory" is insanity.  How in the world is the W35 supposed to function without power?  They are playing word games, pure semantics with you.  They are hiding behind an excuse!

I too have a W35, and I know the "cord".  However, the cord, if it is the one with the square end that clips into the back of the W35 is part of the power block itself.  It is my guess that you cannot buy it seperately.  The AC cord that plugs into the other side of the power block, can be obtained seperately, but that is not the problem.

The plug which goes into the W35 is fairly unique.  I have never seen one like it before I bought my W35.  If the wires are broken off right at the plug, it would be difficult to impossible to repair the cord itself by resoldering the wires, but depending on how it is broken, it might be possible.

I still think you need to go to the Rogers Office of the President for help.  The cord/power block is essential to your use of the W35.  However, if you want to spend the money, here is a website that sells the part you need:

http://www.powerteccanada.com/store/index.php/featured-products/w35-110-240v-power-supply.html

Here is a video of someone working on two W35's and experimenting with the power connection to them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHi7QN2gGkk

What he appears to have done is substituted an electronics lab bench power supply for the standard W35 part.

If you are mechanically/electronically proficient you may be able to repair or "haywire" the power connection to the W35 without the square plug.  Whatever you do, be careful because reversing the polarity of the power connection will likely fry/smoke the W35 and/or the power supply.

skinorth

Mackiewizard
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello!

I am curious as for where you live because I just got a used w35 unit from Ebay that was sold "As IS". I can return the item to them as it did not match the description. In the description, it stated that they had tested it and it powered on. That was the only thing they could confirm. I have a suspicion they claimed that just by loooking at the little led light on the converter box mid cord. Nerthless, just to do some simple troubleshooting, I went and unpluged the cord from the converter mid-cord and with the residual energy that is left in it for 30-45 seconds, I made some continuity tests on all terminals of the cord and it shows the adapter is working throughout. Now, instead of returning the item to them and lose the shipment cost, I'd rather help someone in need in thi cruel world of Rogers. Contact me at 519-475-6339 or email stompier@yahoo.ca

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Power supply for Rocket Hub/need replacement; Good things do happen; Rogers take note!

@Mackiewizard:

way to go!  I hope you and Joettanne can connect and get everything sorted out.

You, Mackiewizard have lots more class and integrity than whoever has been dealing with this from the Rogers support organization.

Kudos to you!

skinorth

Mackiewizard
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Power supply for Rocket Hub/need replacement; Good things do happen; Rogers take note!

Yes.

My original plan was to see if I could use this previous version of hub I purchased as a second unit so when I am mobile, I could just take my sim card from my "netcomm latest version" and put it in that unit. As with everything related to this service, useful details are VERY few. I got my netcomm hub from an actual store and had to go to two different stores in London to get the service. The first place only had a used (returned netcomm unit they were willing to sell me half price but out of two never used sim cards they had on hand, neither one of them could be used. Their computer system kept on saying "card had already been used". I was sent to a second store at the other end of the city and there they had a brand new Netcomm latest version unit with the card in the box. Upon trying to activate, it there also kept popping up as "card already been used". Dealing with a person "on training" on top of everything, it took about an hour to have someone from Rogers head office make this card to behave like it had "never been used".You should have seen the lineup of people behing me coming to willfully become slaves and to the mercy of Rogers' poor service too. Anyway, this product is so rarely used that most associates certainly have not had extensive training or experience retailing it in store. A week later, I went back to the first store that I had gone to to see if I could just purchase their used unit and they did not want to sell it to me unless I took a whole additional separate package and an additional sim card. I had asked the question the previous week to the initial associate if, example, I have a friend somewhere that has the same service if I could just bring my sim card and pop it in theri unit for my personal use when the friend is not using his. I was told that it should work. From there I thought, "I am a frequent traveler in an RV and it would be nice to have a second useable unit to mount permanently in the vehicle instead of plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/plug/unplug/...you know the drill...and break all the flimsy stuff like power adapters, antennas, etc...

So here I am with this w35 erricson I took a chance on and it does not even power on. So, like I said, because it did not match 100% accurate description with the auctioneerl, I have 14 days to return it and lose the shipping cost along the way OR someone from here contacts me for the power adapter that I tested to be working but tomorrow I think I will put it on Ebay as "buy it now" for seven days and see. Then, I will still have the option if it does not sell to return it to the auctionneer which will probably throw it out. Sad! JoetAnne! Can you read me?

Mackiewizard
I've Been Here Awhile

Well!

Just to give everyone that may read this post an update, I did not hear from anyone until I found another buyer for the power supply I had.  Best of luck in your search!

Mackiewizard

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you can try buying power supplies from the distrobutors, one of them in particular you can try is AMG Logistics, its hard to find the proper contact person within there but when you do, they DO have sku for the power adaptors as standalone. its just near **bleep** impossible to find it sometimes

charlotte
I've Been Around

i have also had this exact same issue with my cord as well. your not alone. iam now im on my second cord and within a month i have to call back today to get them to ship me a new one.

the first time i had this issue the rogers support person/people had me running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to find another power supply cord... told me they cannot send me a replacement and that i should go to a "sourse or rogers" store and buy one then fax them a copy of the receipt and they will re emburse me the $$ i paid for the cord. this sounded fishy but i figured i could investigate. i proceeded to go to the source electronics store only to find they do not sell those cords and nothing comparable. and to check a rogers store. went there. the guy looked at me like i a had 6 eyeballs and said they do not sell those cords seperately and to call rogers to have them send me a new one. i was frustrated and he became very helpful and got on the phone himself to talk to a representative and sure enough he found someone who FINALLY said they would ship me a whole new unit with the hub and cord. all i had to do was take my SIM card out of my old one and place it in the new hub. then send my old cord and hub back in the box they provided.

but like i said i will have to call back today and ask for another one because im haveing the same problem. this time iam going to tape the outside of the cord and wish for the best that it will help it last longer. ughh!

all in all. Rogers will and SHOULD send you a new one. just have to find the right person to talk to.

glad to see im not the only one having this same issue.