Here's what I'm seeing from the update released today:
OS : 7.108107.79 (unchanged)
Firmware: 2175.1002.8107.12084 (changed from 2175.1000.8107.12082)
Purple Keyboard on Low brightness: Still an issue. Rogers is shipping me a replacement device but it's currently backordered.
Temporary workaround: Set your brightness to default to Medium.'
Network Connectivity: post update, everything seems to be working very well now.
Tethering: Worked like a charm as well
MMS: Working too
Battery Life: I'll run for a day or two and post my findings. Will leave it on LTE for a day and then normal 3G only the next
******* Edit labels ********
Still seeing mostly 3G connections, even here in Vancouver where my Samsung Focus S regularly showed 4G. I noted that the L900 did 'try' to connect to the LTE network here in Vancouver, but I don't have an LTE data plan or SIM, since I live in Victoria.
I have seen the 'purplish' keyboard, but I note that it becomes greyer when the screen brightens up -- either automatically, or, as noted above, if you default it to Medium.
Hmmm... I did have a couple of Wifi hiccups before the update but mostly everything was working fine.
Did the update anyway (I'm just that kind of guy...), noticed snappier response which is nice.
BUT - I no longer have any cellular data, and worse - callers can't hear me, and I can't hear them! Through the handset, speaker, wired headset, bluetooth - none of it works.
This sucks... Rogers level 1 support didn't know what to do, other than direct me to call Nokia. On hold with them now...
I am still no lucky on tethering(connection is successful,but can not open any webpage),my sim card/dataplan are both LTE,LTE is working fine on my 900.
My step to test tethering is below:
1.turn on LTE and WIFI(wifi is prioroty at this time)
2.turn on tethering,now wifi is off for internet sharing.
3,use another cell phone to connect my lumia 900 via wifi,connection was sccessful.
4.try open any webpage,failed. I can not figure out what is the problem,everything looks fine on my side.Any step I missing?
Issues i'm seeing after the update
1. Phone still bounces around network modes unless its on LTE. If i'm only in a 4G (HSPA+) Area, the phone will sit there and idle in 3G unless it wants data, then it kicks up to 4G. Not sure if this is by design to save power or not.
2. If I am in an LTE area and im locked onto the LTE network (phone indicates LTE); lets say a subway tunnel or elevator the phone will not reconnect to the LTE network afterwords. I've had cases where it gets stuck in "E" and wont even connect to the 4G network (HSPA+) without restarting the phone.
3. Still have purple greys (keyboard, pinpad, etc) when the phone is in a dimly lit area or if I set the phone to low brightness. A couple phones I played with in store and intentially put into low brightness mode did not have this issue.
4. WIFI is super spotty. Sit it next to my other phone that has full signal and its fine this phone is up and down and all over the place.
5. Mobile Hotspot (tethering) no longer works. Worked fine pre update, post its mostly dead. Sometimes it works though, i'd say its about as spotty as the WIFI is which could indicate more issues with the phone.
That's all i've been able to find thus far. After reviewing a lot of forums and without having actual serial numbers what i'm starting to suspect is that there was an actual bad batch oh phones that was released that had/have definite hardware problems. Nokia was hoping that a firmware update could fix the problem and it has for some; but honestly how can they confirm this? It would be incredibly hard to test that a firmware update would resolve issues for every phone.
I tried a master reset, didn't resolve anything.
Did the firmware update fix the data bug? Yup, but it caused at least 3 more issues with my phone that were not present before. Good thing this phone was already deemed DOA and I'm getting a replacement.
My tethering issue is resolved,found out tethering was turned off in my LTE data plan,turn it on by customer care,it is working perfect. so anyone who has tethering issue,first thing is to call customer to check if it is turned on in your data plan.
Thats good to hear .. Now i had sec APN added back then . i removed that and restarted the phone and with the new update i was able to tether
Also now i am seeing a lot of 4G .. Basically before i will see LTE with 1bar dropping to 3G with 4bar all the time at my home ( North Brampton). Now i am seeing 3G with 4bars and 4G with 2-3bars .. So its looks like in poor LTE or unstable LTE areas, 4G is taking priority ..
Like i said before, i plan to call after May 8th when my new 6GB LTE / $30 plans take effect to ask about Visual Voicemail
MMS works fine as well
Purple screen gone with workaround ( auto dimming off and brightness set to med)
Overrall i am happy with the phone now !!! 😄
If you have Visual Voicemail Plan and Once Rogers fix/implemented the back end system your phone history tab will show this .. pretty cool ..