Possible solution to remote flakiness with Nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Possible solution to remote flakiness with Nextbox 3.0

Like many others, I recently picked up the Nextbox 3.0. Right off the bat, I began experiencing issues with the box not responding to remote commands, which seems to be a problem experienced by several others judging by some threads on this board. At first, I suspected a faulty remote, then faulty hardware, but after a thorough process of elimination (which included a Rogers tech visit and hardware swaps) I've come to the conclusion that the culprit is actually my Samsung plasma TV.

If you're experiencing a similar issue with the box not responding to remote input, try this simple experiment the next time your remote stops responding: turn off your TV (but not the Nextbox) and try changing channels. You'll need to make sure the box is configured to display the channel numbers when changing channels (this is the default). In my case, the box immediately begins responding to the remote. In fact, since I have a plasma, it even begins responding if I tune to an unauthorized channel or to any channel currently displaying a darkened scene. It seems the TV interferes most with the remote when displaying a bright scene. This behaviour may differ with an LCD TV, since the source of interference is likely to be a backlight (that is always on).

So, what is the solution? If you're lucky, you may be able to fiddle with the display or backlight brightness (some TVs have an auto-brightness setting that seems to cause problems). If that isn't an option, try moving the Nextbox around in the room.

If that also doesn't work, try taping a piece of darkened film or a sunglass lens over the IR lens on the Nextbox (it is on the right side, near the Cisco logo). If you don't have access to a film or lens, you can even try taping over one or more pieces of plain white paper, a Post-It note or even masking tape. It may take several layers of paper or tape, believe it or not.

Apparently, what this does is block the IR (infrared) noise generated by the TV. The IR signal from your remote should be stronger, and can penetrate through the film or paper.

A longer term solution may be to find a better IR receiver and plug that into the Nextbox (it has an IR extender input in the back). I've ordered one from Amazon and will report back with my results when it arrives.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Possible solution to remote flakiness with Nextbox 3.0

A couple people have found this already with this box (and it happened on the NB2 as well)

Very good description of what is happening 🙂

Yeah, USUALLY if your tv supports it, to TURN off the auto brightness (sometimes called eco mode, etc), will usually fix it... but some good ideas otherwise 🙂

(i know my TV has that brightness thing set.. so when i get my box today.. i will test and see if it has this issue or not.  I know i didnt have it with the NB2, but my NB2 is in a cabinet behind glass.. the glass itself may be enough of a filter for the noise)

I've Been Here Awhile

Plasma TVs do not have backlights. LCDs do.
It seems as though you are saying the opposite.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The problem the remote is having, is not with the brightness of the TV itself being the problem..

its the IR sensor, which is MONITORING for the brightness, which is what is causing it.

I've Been Around

Turning off the tv (I think) proves that this works. Extremely frustrating. I've had multiple comcast boxes with the same tv with no issues. OP thanks again. Rogers: this needs fixing.
I've Been Here Awhile

Try the white paper technique, or better yet turn down the brightness of the backlight. LCD backlights leak IR, and they are usually set WAY too bright by default which compounds the problem. Try using movie mode.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I posted this in the other threads about this issues. This is a very simple and effective solution 

http://www.nextgen.us/NextGen_Remote_Extender_Plus_p/remoteextenderplus.htm

This will fix the issue you are experiencing, with the added bonus of being able to change channels from most parts of your house.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, its not a FIX thing.

This happened, even back on OLDER rogers boxes as well.. with the newer TVs.  There is just too much interfearance, that it interfears with what is comming OUT of the remote that the box can not pick it up properly.  WIthout completely changing the remote, etc.. cant really be fixed.

Best way to fix it.. is to turn OFF that mode, on your TV.  (or cover the sensor, etc if you are able to find out where it is, etc).

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you!   I would never have suspected that.....in my case it was LG LCD

I've Been Around

Thank you - worked for my LG LCD also