Portable Internet switched to Rocket Hub and lost all email contacts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Portable Internet switched to Rocket Hub and lost all email contacts

Rogers discontinue to serve Portable Internet that I have had for the past 5 years, and I need to switch to Rocket Hub. The very first time on January 2012 when I logon my email  @rogers.com on my new rocket hub, a message pop-up saying my email @rogers.com  has been cancelled and asking me to create a new email account @yahoo.ca and the contents would be transferred.....and I did create a new account @yahoo.ca  and the mails also have been transferred but not the contacts.....the contact folder comes up empty with no contact at all. I called Rogers Technical support several times and finally they said nothing they could do, and I asked to talk to the manager and the tech said even the manager could not do anything about it and did not let me talk to the manager....I would appreciate any help,,,,  

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Portable Internet switched to Rocket Hub and lost all email contacts

@ww1238:

when I signed up for the Rogers RocketHub nearly two years ago I was told explicitly that there was no email provided with the package.

That did not bother me at the time, because I was already using a free smtp-capable email service anyway.  The service I use is accessible through both a web browser, and by using an email client on my PC.  In my case I use Thunderbird, but there are other options available, depending on your choice of computer and version of operating system.

Your experience illustrates the disadvantages of dealing with your ISP for your email services, as well as the hazards of using web-based email:

1. when you change ISP, or, as in this case, your ISP changes the rules, you potentially lose your old email address and are forced to change to a new one.  Of course this might have an upside if you are receiving lots of unwanted emails at your old addressSmiley Wink

2. unless you take extra-ordinary action, you will lose all your old emails, as well as all your contact information.  Normally this kind of forced total house cleaning is not a good thing, but sometimes I wonder........

So, as I have suggested also to some of my family members, do yourself a favour, and use an email client on your own PC so you can manage, maintain and control your own email storage as well as your own contact information.

The fact of the matter is that your email is simply not a high priority to your ISP.  Despite the fact that it is offered as part of the package you buy for them, their real bread and butter is Internet access.

skinorth

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@ww1238:

when I signed up for the Rogers RocketHub nearly two years ago I was told explicitly that there was no email provided with the package.

That did not bother me at the time, because I was already using a free smtp-capable email service anyway.  The service I use is accessible through both a web browser, and by using an email client on my PC.  In my case I use Thunderbird, but there are other options available, depending on your choice of computer and version of operating system.

Your experience illustrates the disadvantages of dealing with your ISP for your email services, as well as the hazards of using web-based email:

1. when you change ISP, or, as in this case, your ISP changes the rules, you potentially lose your old email address and are forced to change to a new one.  Of course this might have an upside if you are receiving lots of unwanted emails at your old addressSmiley Wink

2. unless you take extra-ordinary action, you will lose all your old emails, as well as all your contact information.  Normally this kind of forced total house cleaning is not a good thing, but sometimes I wonder........

So, as I have suggested also to some of my family members, do yourself a favour, and use an email client on your own PC so you can manage, maintain and control your own email storage as well as your own contact information.

The fact of the matter is that your email is simply not a high priority to your ISP.  Despite the fact that it is offered as part of the package you buy for them, their real bread and butter is Internet access.

skinorth

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you 😄
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Many thanks to Rogers Tech Support & Yahoo Tech Support :D

@Many thanks to Rogers Tech Support & Yahoo Tech Support: finally I got back all the contacts in my new email account from @rogers to @yahoo. Thanks againSmiley Very Happy

@ww1238 wrote:

@Rogers discontinue to serve Portable Internet that I have had for the past 5 years, and I need to switch to Rocket Hub. The very first time on January 2012 when I logon my email  @rogers.com on my new rocket hub, a message pop-up saying my email @rogers.com  has been cancelled and asking me to create a new email account @yahoo.ca and the contents would be transferred.....and I did create a new account @yahoo.ca  and the mails also have been transferred but not the contacts.....the contact folder comes up empty with no contact at all. I called Rogers Technical support several times and finally they said nothing they could do, and I asked to talk to the manager and the tech said even the manager could not do anything about it and did not let me talk to the manager....I would appreciate any help,,,,