Port out second line to an individual account at another provider?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Port out second line to an individual account at another provider?

My wife is the account holder for our family/share plan at Rogers. Her line is the primary line, my line is the second line.

My wife wants to stay with Rogers, but I might consider porting out some day. Can I just open a new account with another provider under my own name, and port out my number?

The reason I have this question is because, the Rogers account is in wife's name not in my name, therefore can I port out a number (the second line) from an account that is not in my name to an account that is in my name at a different provider?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Port out second line to an individual account at another provider?

Hello lilyluvx

If ur account is under your wifes name then she will need to release the account into ur name and do a credit check on ur name. If everything goes passes u get the account and then transfer it to any carrier u wish.

Best way to find out is contact Rogers via Live Chat, Facebook and Twitter @RogersHelps and see what they tell u.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello lilyluvx

If ur account is under your wifes name then she will need to release the account into ur name and do a credit check on ur name. If everything goes passes u get the account and then transfer it to any carrier u wish.

Best way to find out is contact Rogers via Live Chat, Facebook and Twitter @RogersHelps and see what they tell u.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

It is not an issue at all lilyluvx. I recently did the exact same thing. My deal with Rogers was up but our family plan was in my wife's name. She came with me to the new carrier and provided all of our Rogers account info so that my phone number could be ported over. The porting process took about 30 minutes and bingo - I was on my phone with my Rogers number successfully ported. Interestingly, a month later, my wife ported her number and added it to my account with the new carrier. I would not advise you to contact Rogers - the less said to them, the better. Your new carrier handles all details of the porting process. If by chance you were to cancel through Rogers first, you will lose your number. Let your new provider handle this.
I've Been Here Awhile

Is that first step of transferring the second line to my name really needed? Can I not just port directly?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you.
Highlighted

We did not need to have the account "released" into my name. All the new carrier required was our Rogers account number, my phone number to be ported, and ID from my wife to prove who she was since the Rogers account was in her name.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello JohnnyRockets

Depends on the carrier the OP is going too. Not all carriers do the same thing. Rogers needs to have the account holder there to cancel or transfer and i know several carriers that if the account is let's say under my wifes name and I want to transfer it to them. My wife needs to be there and contact Rogers to do it or needs to add it to her name. It all depends on the carriers tho.
Highlighted

That is exactly what I said Meowmix. When I had my Rogers number ported over to the new provider I brought my wife with me since like the OP, I was the second line on my wife's account. We brought a copy of our bill from Rogers to provide the account info, my wife produced her driver's license to establish she was the person listed on the bill and the new provider proceeded with contacting Rogers and having the number ported. It was a very simple and quick process with no need at all for my wife to release her account to my name. In fact my wife continued with her Rogers wireless number for another 6 weeks before porting out her number as well. I have checked with a number of other carriers such as Bell Mobility, Koodoo, Fido, and Virgin and the procedure is basically the same with all of them.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you JohhnyRockets very much! And thank you Meowmix as well!
Highlighted

You are very welcome. Glad I could help out!