cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port out second line to an individual account at another provider?

lilyluvx
I've Been Here Awhile

My wife is the account holder for our family/share plan at Rogers. Her line is the primary line, my line is the second line.

My wife wants to stay with Rogers, but I might consider porting out some day. Can I just open a new account with another provider under my own name, and port out my number?

The reason I have this question is because, the Rogers account is in wife's name not in my name, therefore can I port out a number (the second line) from an account that is not in my name to an account that is in my name at a different provider?

***Edited Labels.***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Port out second line to an individual account at another provider?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello lilyluvx

If ur account is under your wifes name then she will need to release the account into ur name and do a credit check on ur name. If everything goes passes u get the account and then transfer it to any carrier u wish.

Best way to find out is contact Rogers via Live Chat, Facebook and Twitter @RogersHelps and see what they tell u.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello lilyluvx

If ur account is under your wifes name then she will need to release the account into ur name and do a credit check on ur name. If everything goes passes u get the account and then transfer it to any carrier u wish.

Best way to find out is contact Rogers via Live Chat, Facebook and Twitter @RogersHelps and see what they tell u.

View solution in original post

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor
It is not an issue at all lilyluvx. I recently did the exact same thing. My deal with Rogers was up but our family plan was in my wife's name. She came with me to the new carrier and provided all of our Rogers account info so that my phone number could be ported over. The porting process took about 30 minutes and bingo - I was on my phone with my Rogers number successfully ported. Interestingly, a month later, my wife ported her number and added it to my account with the new carrier. I would not advise you to contact Rogers - the less said to them, the better. Your new carrier handles all details of the porting process. If by chance you were to cancel through Rogers first, you will lose your number. Let your new provider handle this.

lilyluvx
I've Been Here Awhile

Is that first step of transferring the second line to my name really needed? Can I not just port directly?

lilyluvx
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you.