Poor wireless signal strength

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Poor wireless signal strength

I have my modem in the study inside my bedroom on the second floor. Then I have two laptops on the ground floor. The laptops get disconnected all the time due to poor signal strength. I read on the internet that I should either get bigger antennas for the modem or get a repeater(access point) and place it somewhere between the modem and the laptops. What do you recommend?

Thanks,

EK

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Poor wireless signal strength

I've used an Apple AirPort Express as a repeater. It's $99 which isn't cheap but isn't too expensive.. It's supper easy to setup with the software the they provide with it.

I'm not sure on adding an externat antenna for the wifi I'm sure there must be a way but I guess it depends on which modem/router...
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks! I was thinking of getting the D-Link Wireless N Range Extender DAP-1360 for about $70. What do you think?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

After comparing the two, I am now leaning more towards the Apple Airport Express. It has a lot more functionalities but costs just a little bit more.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yeah the features of the airport express are nice. I originally got it for traveling when hotel rooms only have wired Internet so that I could use it to convert to a wireless connection, but have since started using it at home to extend wireless as well as stream music from itunes to speakers throughout the house.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks! You have been very helpful! Rogers should pay you for your service.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

lol if only. 🙂

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks Chris, that's why you're our Silver contributor!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks guys. I had a look at both. 

The D-Link website explicitly states that the DAP-1360 WIRELESS N RANGE EXTENDER is  compatible with my rogers SMC wireless router. The Apple is a bit less clear and I can't find if the Rogers router will support the WDS feature that the AEX requires.

Did the AEX work for you on a Rogers routerÉ

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Sorry I'm not sure as I don't have the Rogers router. I think you could figure a way to get the airport express working for you but you might have to play with it a bit. They use a pretty easy setup wizard to configure it so it shouldn't be too hard. Either way you should be able to return it no problem.