Poor (sometimes no) wireless signal in Ottawa West

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Poor (sometimes no) wireless signal in Ottawa West

I have been told by Rogers that the poor wireless signal I have at home is a result of 'external interference' in our Ottawa neighbourhood and that Rogers has taken up the issue with Transport Canada (not sure why Transport Canada, although we are near the airport).

I get dropped calls, calls that won't ring (goes directly to voicemail) etc. I am curious if anyone else has the same experience or is aware of a timeline for a resolution.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Poor (sometimes no) wireless signal in Ottawa West

Hi 

When did you start seeing this occur?

Are there other users that might be experiencing the same thing within West of Ottawa?

If needed, do not hesitate to reach out to us via facebook or twitter.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Don't know if you have received any info on this, but can you clarify what you term as wireless?  Is that to mean strictly cell phone communications, or, possibly 5 Ghz wifi which does include Dynamic Frequency Selection rules to protect Airport Weather Radar Systems from interference from 5 Ghz home modems / routers?

Considering that you are near the Ottawa airport, you will have ground based Terminal Radar and Weather Radar as well as transient aircraft weather, surface and air search radars to contend with.  There are othes including Aircraft Terrain Collision Avoidance systems, Aircraft Traffic Collision Avoidance systems (TCAS), Aircraft broadcast and datalinks, and radar altimeters just to name a few.  Aircraft based systems and any interference will be transient, as aircraft arrive and depart, and will be much harder to track down.  Depending on the source of the interference, and what you mean by "wifi interference", there is a good chance that nothing can be done about it.  A little more info is required to understand the issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi. Thanks for the interest. For this issue, I am referring to the cellular signal (LTE) not home wifi. In our home we have 3 of us on Rogers (2 android phones and 1 iPhone) all with the same problems. We have calls dropped while we are speaking on the phone and we don't receive calls sometimes - the caller is shunted straight to voicemail. The number of 'bars' is typically around 1. Driving to other parts of the city and things works fine (4-5 bars). One other person in our home has an iPhone but is on Virgin (Bell) and he doesn't have the issues we have.

Rogers did acknowledge there is an 'external interference' problem in the neighbourhood and that they are working on it. It has been months since the last time I spoke with rogers about it, so I was curious to see if I could get an answer here from Rogers on the timeline to a resolution.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

The rule with reception is this: Are you in a place in Ottawa where there would be a lot of people who might want to use their cell phone? Yes? You will get no reception.

It really is a joke that I get perfect reception in Carleton Place and terrible reception at Ikea. Nepean Sportsplex is another pain point.

My wife has Bell and really never has reception issues.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

hi Rogers, I am from Ottawa,  where I get very poor coverage at my home and as well as my office location in  kanata has almost zero singnal. specially indoor coverage. i guess you all know the issue, you people just need to address the problem and resolve it asap. I am using a business device with LG G3. terrible condition! most of the time my calls go to voicemail. I have already logde a complain, the tech guy called me with the same written questions. fyi experince issues with LTE, HSPA both networks. hope your authority will come up with solutions and keep up your reputaion as one of the largest carrier of Canada