cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

That's true. The two most important sports events I watch is Formula One and the Tour de France. The former was blacked out on Speed long ago and the latter isn't even motorsport. NASCAR I can take or leave, but do like to catch the road races. The other biggie I like to follow is WRC and I'm not sure I've seen any of that on Speed since last year. Maybe the method in Rogers' madness in dropping Speed is to be able to sell a number of sports packages to replace it..

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

suzy_q1408
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi all, last weekend when watching a race on the SPEED channel it had posted that Rogers will be discontinuing the SPEED Channel - the response I got from Rogers when I asked why on my twitter account was "If we're allowed to offer the channel to a more specialized audience at a reasonable rate wed (sic) be happy to make it available"

What the . is that supposed to mean - so are they under negotiations with SPEED to get the channel at a better rate than they're getting it at present? Are they willing to sell it at an upgraded fee of our services? I'm unclear and I got no further response when I asked how much it would cost.

Just wondering when it is actually going off the air, I heard March? If they can't show it any more, there will be a lot of customers switching services!!!

Thanks for any help and have a good Sunday!!!

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello suzy_q1408

There are other threads made about this.. I will post the links below on the forums. Rogers doesn't want to pay what Fox is asking for and they are taking the channel down. So thus they are asking customers to talk go Rogers. Not really because the channel will most likely be taken down from Bell as well. Rogers reps don't know everything as they are not told much. Thus why u aren't getting much from them.

Here is more http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...12054

Official word and confirmation from Rogers http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speed-channel?asc_refid=serviceupdate

suzy_q1408
I've Been Here Awhile

thank you, though unfortunately reading through this it doesn't really give any good reason - do they not realize how big nascar here is canada too? very sad indeed

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello suzy_q1408

Oh i do know because i attend some of the Nascar races my self. This is something Rogers hasn't really realized tho.

suzy_q1408
I've Been Here Awhile
yet other companies are getting to keep airing the races? My complaint's with rogers as they wont 😞

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Suzy_q1408

No one knows if other providers will keep it. Maybe those providers will do the same later on. Who knows. Hopefully Rogers sees the demand and does something to keep it running or have a channel just for the races if they take Speed down.

suzy_q1408
I've Been Here Awhile

Although I won't be hasty and switch, I will be inquiring, mainly finding out if other companies have long standing contracts that aren't due to run out at any time in the near future 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello suzy_q1408

That is the best thing to do before switching! Always make sure to do that so u are on the good side Lol 🙂

tigeraid
I Plan to Stick Around

I have no idea where to post this or if I should bother asking, but will Rogers bring in a new channel with enough requests?  Maybe a petition or something?

With the real SPEED now gone, motorsports enthusiasts like me really have nowhere to watch good racing.  We get the usual F1, NASCAR and Indycar and that's it.

http://www.mavtv.com

Is a new station catching on in the States, picking up where SPEED left off with various stockcar, dirt, offroad and car enthusiast series.  It just recently picked up Dave Despain's show, and Stacey David's GearZ.

What will take for us to get MAVTV in Canada?

Unfortunately, there is not much we can do, other than ask for it.

Firstly, a channel has to be approved by the CRTC, to be allowed in canada period first.
(I think that channel has to APPLY? but i could be wrong)

From there, then stations could pick it up.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Justreceived a letter from Rogers in an envelopw marked "important information". It's a formal announcement that Rogers is dropping speed. It says a bit more than the one on their website we were supposed to stumble across. It says "If you're a racing enthusiast, please note that programming like Formuls 1,Nascar, and IZOD racing events are carried on other networks such as Sportsnet, TSN, Fox and CBS sports. All other aspects of your service(s) will remain the same and your monthly fee will not be affected by this change". Oh? should it have gone UP to compensate for reduced service? Give your head a shake, Rogers!

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Punk_Out
I Plan to Stick Around

@tigeraid wrote:
http://www.mavtv.com

Is a new station catching on in the States, picking up where SPEED left off with various stockcar, dirt, offroad and car enthusiast series.  It just recently picked up Dave Despain's show, and Stacey David's GearZ.

What will take for us to get MAVTV in Canada?

Now that looks like a channel I would like. American's get all the cool channels....I think it would a good replacement for SPEED only problem is is that it has other stuff like MMA's King of the Cage but besides that it's mostly racing sports.

Looking at there webpage further they got some weirdness on this channel, but it looks really interesting. Thanks for the link @tigeraid .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rogers doesn't like the pictures I uploaded so I don't think they will like any of my hilarious signatures too.

tigeraid
I Plan to Stick Around

I was afraid of that.

Sure, we can still get Sprint cup, F1 and Indycar.  But what about the Truck series?  It's the best stockcar racing there is, and it was only going to be shown through FOX Sports... Which we don't get.

GRRRR....

Hi there Sarah:

hmmmmm..........Review faster, please share this thought with your superiors...*Dump Speed*,

I don't like paying for garbage channels (this is not the only one), it used to be a mediocre channel at best, as stated above, all that is left is the dregs. I would like to see NBC Sports channel replace Speed or possibly ESPN or FOX sports, (NOT ANOTHER SILLY CANADIAN TIER 2 channel....we have far too many of those already) at least that way we Canadians will still get to see Indy racing or the like from a source broadcaster.

We Canadians are always getting screwed where some silly broadcast right here is in effect (such as the outdated Canadian content law), and for that we NEVER get access other non Canadian source broadcasters signals that are not watered down in some manner or are cut short because the Canadian broadcaster who is piggybacking the signal has something more important to go to because THEIR schedule won't let them stay with the complete broadcast.

I see this happen SO many times, it's infuriating.

Hi there Sarah: hmmmmm..........Review faster, please share this thought with your superiors...*Dump Speed*, I don't like paying for garbage channels (this is not the only one), it used to be a mediocre channel at best, as stated above, all that is left is the dregs. I would like to see NBC Sports channel replace Speed, (NOT ANOTHER SILLY CANADIAN TIER 2 channel....we have far too many of those already) at least that way we Canadians will still get to see Indy racing from a source broadcaster. We Canadians are always getting screwed where some silly broadcast right here is in effect (such as the outdated Canadian content law), and for that we NEVER get access other non Canadian source broadcasters signals that are not watered down in some manner or are cut short because the Canadian broadcaster who is piggybacking the signal has something more important to go to because THEIR schedule won't let them stay with the broadcast. I see this happen SO many times, it's infuriating.

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

As for we should get Espn or Nbc Sports what is important to keep in mind is a fair amount of of the content on those channels Canada net ows the right to here  so even if we got those channel a fair bit of the content would be blacked out another thing is Americans don't get access to Canadian channels such as Sportset/Tsn/Space and many would like to.

Nowe i am not saying things are perfect there not i would like to see Rogers keep speed for all the race fans but for us avg joes things might not be as simple as they seem as for the content rules the i think it would take people from Canada and the States working together and maybe open things up so Canadians and Americans can access other channels.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

It appears this is going nowhere with Rogers. I find it ironic that they keep telling you what racing is still available on other channels yet avoid any mention of the series we wont be able to see once Speed is gone. I find it ironic that the 2 major series that actually race in Canada wont be able to be seen by Rogers customers, the Nascar Truck race and the Tudor United SportsCar series both race at Mosport and both series are shown on FS1. I bet Ron Fellows is fuming over that considering most of the sponsorship of the course and race is from Canadian companies.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

It's too late for them to do anything useful now. Replacing it with another motorsports channel requires applying to the CRTC and getting it approved, a process that requires a minimum of several months. If Rogers had been paying attention and cared they could have started the process months or years ago and replaced Speed with a better channel by now. If they're dropping Speed as of March 1 as they have announced, the only possible positive thing to improve the situation could be Sportsnet and/or TSN picking up more racing coverage including the Fox Sports 1 and 2 events that were on Speed. But since they've said nothing about this, I doubt it's going to happen.

I'm going to wait until March 1 to see what, if anything happens, then assuming it's nothing, cancel all my Rogers services and get something from someone else, hopefully in time for the 12 Hours of Sebring. I've already been going over the options to make a decision to be ready two weeks from today.  

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah I guess I am in the same boat. I have gone to 5 of the last 6 12hrs of Sebring and cant go this year. It will be a real shame if I cant see it. I've already inquired and the other providers currently have no plans to remove speed so I guess that is what I will be forced to do. Major hassle to switch all this stuff. TV will be the first but if they offer bundle discounts then I guess I will switch it all. there is a pay for streaming motorsports channel I am looking into but info is hard to find at  the moment.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Ron Fellows may be a part owner, running the place and being a media spokesman, but I would assume it's the other owner, billionaire Carlo Fidani (of Orlando Corp), putting most of the money into Mosport. And you're right, Rogers dumping Speed cuts off a whole lot of southern Ontario TV viewers from seeing the Nascar Truck Series and United SportsCar Championship, that happen to be Mosport's two major race weekends each summer.

I wonder if Mosport would consider trying something like buying air time on the Hamilton CHCH-TV station to show some racing?

They could have bought CHCH since it was sold for only $12 in 2009, or presumably a similar pocket change price for the CKXT-TV Toronto (the former Sun TV) licence before Quebecor shut it off a couple of years ago. They are (or were for CKXT) carried on some systems across most of Canada, but get only ad revenue and no fees from cable subscribers. Owning a station may not be a practical proposition, but maybe buying the air time on CHCH could be?