cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Pauly
Resident Expert

i'll be quite frank with you even if thats not my name, rogers really does not care if your paying 100 a month or even 200 a month, rogers is not going to bend over back wards to keep speed vision (or speed channel).  The decision was made by the owners of the chanenl, which is  20th Century Fox sports incorporated.  They are the owners of the channel, speed was a US chanenl, they changed the format and name to a new one, it complied just fine with the us regulations however the new channel was not qualified to continue to broadcast here, so fox kept the old defunkt speed vision for canada, because all the carriers had carriage deals with the channel already so they couldnt just pull the plug like that,   anyways now that the carriage deals are up, rogers has no way to renew, its  literally impossible, dont blame them dont get mad at them, they have no control.  bell is losing speedvision too, and ibet u any dinero/money that cogeco, video trom, and telus will also loose speed vision as well once the agreeements run up.

there was no future plans for that channel,.  if u wanna watch broadcasts illegal for distrobution in canada over the internet with you xbmc or chrome cast or ex box 360, then fine by me but im not gonna help u if u have problems.

Pauly
Resident Expert

thats right no canadian carrier can carry it but the good news is you can see if a canadian network will buy the rights to the programming that the former but now defunkt speed vision is carrying, what if tsn and sports net starting to air nas car and formula one? then i will be happy, though i dont care bout nascar

Pauly
Resident Expert

why not just see if another motorsports network (canadian) buys the rights to nascar racing? who knows maybe the sports network or sportsnet ontario may do that soon?

reidjr
I Plan to Stick Around

Part of the issue with cable cutting now is many Americans channels have a system where you have to show proof you have cable or dish.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

This is what Rogers said originally.

"Each television service provider makes its own determinations as to what channels to offer. To provide customers with the best possible entertainment experience, we review our offerings and makes changes to our packages from time to time.

We recognize supporters of this channel will be disappointed with this decision and hope youll understand these decisions are not taken lightly. As we said above, if the channel provider will come to an agreement that allows us to offer the channel to a more specialized audience at a reasonable rate, wed be happy to make it available".

They had a choice. They were not going to pay whatever Fox wanted and that was that. They both called each other bluffs and it was easy since they had no vested interest if they dropped the channel. They could care less what people want to see . they stand to make out well finanically also as they said your bill would not change. One less contract to pay out, yet revenue stays at the same level. Gaurenteed there were dicussions with all the other carriers on this. it was a united front against Fox.

Where was the option to have speed become a specialized channel with a charge? Nobody asked us? Bet most of us would be happy to pay for that channel.