Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

I don't see anything that is particularly "insider", or even claiming to be so. It's all information we already know or could easily find in other articles or the online TV listings. But it does describe and analyze the situation very well by pointing out that the major result of this for Canadians is being no longer able to see the racing that was on Speed and moved to Fox Sports 1 (and I would say also NBC Sports Network, speed2.com, and espn3.com), where we can't see it in Canada. And people in Europe and Australia can see it on Motors TV and the Australian Speed channel. And as that blog post and the comments there point out, anyone in Canada who cares is not happy.

That is a good point you make that we have heard nothing about this yet from the Canadian carriers. The stories about this happening go back to early 2012, and the official announcement was made in early March of 2013. The Canadian carriers have refused to answer any questions or been unable to answer them, even now, 10 days away from the change-over that was officially announced in the U.S. more than five months ago. At best they have been lazy, apathetic, or unable to understand the situation, or worse, known what would happen and deliberately kept us in the dark and done nothing except hope we wouldn't notice.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

But it's information not forthcoming from Rogers. What has Rogers to gain by not being forthcoming? Keep customers in the dark so they think they won't be losing content, otherwise they'll be looking for other TV providers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Dagman
I've Been Around

I think we may have to wait until the 17th to see what we get, if you check the listing on zap2 in the US, they all have the same shedule of repeats for the 17th, even the ones who have signed up.

May be hope yet.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

It would appear that the situation has progressed.

Zap2it.com TV listings for Speed in Canada have now been updated and show us getting some racing such as Moto GP and Nascar Truck Series. 

Maybe some of our complaints have prompted the Canadian cable and satellite companies to politely remind Fox that they are required to provide some actual racing on the channel if they want us to keep paying them for it.

Otherwise, I don't know what kind of mix-up would have resulted in that racing-free programming line-up they had previously scheduled for us.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, at least we continue seeing what we have been seeing on Speed with the racing events on the weekends, which is better than getting nothing or the racing-free line-up that we had been threatened with.

But I do not retract my original suggestion that the Speed channel we receive needs to be replaced with an all-motorsports channel. If the Speed channel Fox is sending Canada will stay as it now appears, the racing events they show on weekends during the racing season will remain as the only useful programming on their schedule. The rest of their schedule will be reruns, much of it the game shows and reality shows that have now discontinued production and were of no interest to viewers of what was and is still supposed to be a motorsports channel.

If Fox is promising to eventually start providing Canada with an all-motorsports programming line-up like the Speed channel they own in Australia,

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on

that would be great. But if their only plan is to continue sending us their weekend racing events with pointless filler the rest of the time, please look into the possibility of eventually replacing Speed with Motors TV from Europe.

www.motorstv.com

Has the Rogers media side ever considered the idea of creating their own new Rogers MotorSportsnet to eventually replace Speed in Canada? I have no idea if it could be a realistic proposition, and obviously it couldn't just happen overnight. But if possible it could presumably take the place of Speed on most or all of the cable and satellite systems in Canada. Just buy most of the same racing programming that is on the channels I mentioned above, along with some that's on the American channels, and produce a weekly motorsports news review or magazine type show, along with maybe some coverage of one or two racing series in Canada, as I assume a new licence from the CRTC would require the promise of some original productions.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I was just browsing Zap2it TV Listings to see what may be on Speed Canada now and it was all American stick-and-ball stuff, like what's supposed to be on Foc Sports 1. Then I checked the IPG on my PVR and it showed a NASCAR rerun, which was actually on in fact. It looks like nobody told Zap2it that Canada wasn't actually getting FS1 in place of speed. I'd rather watch a NASCAR rerun than some football game anyway.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Just an update for those of you who use Zap2it. You need to change your Preferences. I had "SPCCAN" for Speed Channel. That is now an orphan, showing Fox Sports 1 listings, I presume. There is another channel called "SPEEDCAN" that has the correct listings for the Speed we're getting. (I'm talking about the lower SD channels, which is what I get. There is probably a similar HD channel up in the 500 range.)

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

I have trouble believing the Speed channel Fox is continuing to send to Canada is a permanent arrangement. For one thing, it has no real commercials, just the same small number of constantly repeating generic promos for their own shows, that do not even list a time or mention specific episodes, just "check listings". You really need to keep the remote handy to press mute during the breaks when you try to watch something on what's left of this alleged channel.

For some reason, they're not even showing us all of the racing from Fox Sports 1 and 2 in the US. A live World Endurance Championship race in Texas was recently shown on FS1, yet not shown on Speed for Canada at all, not even tape delayed, despite most of the programming on this Canada-only Speed channel being filler reruns and old Speed programs that were long ago discontinued in the US. I hope Rogers, Bell, Shaw, etc., are actually paying attention to the lame duck situation with Speed and planning to replace it with a better motorsports channel some time in the next few months, as I described in the previous posts.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is simply getting rid of Speed channel as of March 1st.

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/speed-channel?asc_refid=serviceupdate

As I mentioned above, I suppose it's not suprising that what's left of this channel is no longer worth what it costs to anyone. But it is very disappointing to me that it is apparently not being replaced with a better motorsports channel, such as Motors TV.

If I have to now use the internet to watch most of the racing I want to see, I will most likely cancel all my Rogers services and instead get something like Teksavvy internet service.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not worth them paying for the channel, as you said.. if there isnt the content and not being used, etc.

MAYBE in the future they will be able to add another channel.. but wont always be instant 😞
Has to first be a channel, approved by the CRTC.  (hence why there are channels which often are US only)

Then rogers has to negotation for a deal with for the channel, etc..