Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Before y'all start a stampede to Bell for Speed, be advised that they're dropping Speed as of May 1.

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Obviously Fox is having SPEED leave Canada when contracts are up. No 3rd party ad revenue, no programming except archives and racing if its on Fox. What I can't figure is why they had that scrolling on the bottom during the Rolex 24 to complain about SPEED being removed from Rogers. 

Back to the subject of the thread, I can't believe the motorsports channels below along with the Canadian providers haven't got CRTC approval yet. Everyone would have known sometime last year that SPEED would be leaving, no?

http://www.motorstv.com/

http://www.mavtv.com/

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

My guess is Bell and Shaw were still in negotiations and Rogers had already said no and that prompted the banner. 

Unbelievable that 2 of the biggest races in Canada, The Nascar Trucks at Mosport (I refuse to call it CTMS) and the Tudor SC series race at Mosport will not be seen in Canada? How does Ron Fellows sell advertising to 2 major events not even shown in this country?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Here is what Norris Mcdonald, Toronto Star auto racing writer, had to say about the situation. Yes, Rogers is the bad guy,

"When I learned that Rogers was dropping the Speed Channel as of March 1, I wrote a column saying that if you wanted to watch the 12 Hours of Sebring you should call Bell.

That still stands, but if you want to see the 24 Hours of Le Mans, you'd better either fly to France or else cross the border into the United States and rent a motel room that has Fox Sports 1 on the TV because Bell is dropping Speed as of the beginning of May.

Speed has not existed in the U.S. since last summer when Fox Sports 1 started and took over all its live racing programming. Fox Sports is blocked from broadcasting on cable and/or satellite systems in Canada because of our protectionist laws that only allow us to watch all-sports channels like TSN and the various Sportsnet channels. Speed continued in Canada, I imagine, because of contracts that were in place prior to the Fox takeover. The contracts are now up, apparently, and I hear - unofficially - that Fox really jacked up the price to keep Speed going in Canada and Rogers and now Bell said sayonara.

This means, of course, that although we will still get to see all the Formula One races, the Sprint Cup and Nationwide races and all the - according to Rogers - IZOD races (you really have to wonder how some people get jobs, don't you?) we will not be able to see any sports car racing, the classic long-distance races like Le Mans or any Camping World Series truck races (except for the one on Labour Day at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park).

If you don't care about motorsport, your reaction could very well be "so what?" But if you are a fanatic like I am, and - presumably - many of the people reading this column, this is officially a Sad State of Affairs.

I continue to see Rogers as the villain of the piece.

When Speed first started, it was on Rogers Channel 48 and part of basic cable (or whatever they call the first 60-or-so channels). When the Turner Classic Movies channel came along in 2006, Rogers put it on Channel 48 and bumped Speed up into the stratosphere where you've had to pay a premium ever since to keep receiving it.

Over time, I imagine Rogers made a lot of money off people like you and me because we paid extra to get that channel (I could care less about some of those other sports specialty channels I'm forced to take). So if Rogers had any kind of a corporate conscience, knowing full well that sports-car racing, truck racing, Moto GP racing et al will no longer be available because of the demise of Speed, they would ensure that Sportsnet found room on one or some of their many channels to show those races.

Yes, I know those are separate divisions within one huge company but they could do it if they wanted to."

Link to the blog: http://thestar.blogs.com/autoracing/2014/02/fogarty-gurney-at-large-villeneuve-at-indy-and-speed-cha...

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

I think i am most furious about losing the sports car racing. I have been to 4 of the last 5 12hrs of Sebring and cant make it this year. Top that of with a unified series this year and there is more interest in sports car this year that in along time. I also love most of the various touring car series that Speed would show throughout the year. Top that off with the new Nascar qualifying that is similar to F1 and that will be a great hour of viewing that will now be lost also.

I used to have Directv via a service that would let me pay for it via a US address and I am really thinking about going back to that route. The cable portion is nearly $100 of my bill and I couldnt care less about 90% of the channels I have to have for certain programs. 

Getting Speedvision back in 1997 was one of the reasons I dropped DTV and added to my cable package.

I notice the ads for Speed 2 are showing now - even access to that would be better that nothing which we appear to be heading for.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers stopped it right at midnight, as Norris McDonald described soon after.

www.wheels.ca/news/rogers-kills-the-speed-channel-because-they-can/

The on-screen digital guide was still listing all the upcoming programming for the next few days last night, but I see this morning it has now been changed to "Off the air".

I wonder what Fox's statement to Norris on the subject will be, particularly since Bell has also announced they are dropping Speed. The crawl thing telling people to call Rogers to urge them to keep Speed that we saw during the 24 Hours of Daytona seems to have strangely been absent during all of the recent Nascar Daytona coverage, as though Fox may have given up?

I think it's probably the Nascar viewers who will now miss it most, since so much of Fox/Speed's racing programming was Nascar oriented -- qualifying, Truck Series, etc.

I don't feel so bad now seeing Fox Sports 1 will only be showing the first three hours of the 12 Hours of Sebring. Presumably that's all Bell, Shaw, etc., subscribers will see on Speed, and viewers in Canada and the US will have to use the internet to watch it anyway.    

www.sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/sebring-tv-schedule-announced/

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The guide info is provided by a 3rd party, so they likely had all the channel info set to upload to Rogers (even though the channel will not be there)
Bell is dropping it too? Hopefully too many haven't switched for no reason 😞

The 'contact Rogers' adds seem very similar to the amc stuff that happened. 😞

WhiskeyPeddler
I've Been Around

I believe thats this is just another way to get to race fanatics (of which I am a member of) to pony up money so that we will still be able to watch NASCAR practice practice, qualifying and Truck racing.

Hey ROGERS with all your millions of dollars profit every year when is making enought mney finally enought, and why do you always make us poor customers pay the bill.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, Rogers dropped Speed BECAUSE THEY CAN. Rogers and Shaw divided up the country so they wouldn't compete wit each other in the cable market. Add to that the home phone, cell phone, TV and internet bundles, it makes it very awkward and inconvenient for customers to switch tooter providers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

its like 1998 again when we all had to figure out ways to get US programming that we couldnt get in Canada. Thats some progress Rogers/Bell etc have going here huh? I guess they figure we will just stop watching motorsports and switch to some of the other useful channels they give us....Fireplace channel, sunset channel, gameshow..etc..