cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Unfortunately Oldyellr is right.

For any channel to be made available by ANY tv copany (cable satelite, etc) in canada, they need to be aproved by the CRTC.

Until that happens, none of them, can get the channel 😞

Hello all.

I realize that all motorsports fans here are very disappointed and I wanted to assure you, the decision to take off Speed was not taken lightly at all. We heard you all talking passionately about Speed Channel since the first bill notices arrived. Last year, the operator of the channel decided to stop making Speed Channel available to the majority of TV customers in the United States too. From what we’ve heard, Bell TV/Fibe is notifying their customers that they’ve decided not to carry Speed Channel as of May 1, 2014. Other operators also review their offering from time to time.

Even though this is a peer-to-peer support community, we read each and every post, and reply when needed. I’ve passed on your suggestions; we might add another motorsports channel in the future, however, at this time, this is not something we’re planning for.  

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

We all know that the US version of Speed ended last August and Fox was providing a Canadian version of Speed Channel.

We really dont know whos fault it is , you say them, they say you. Likely we will never know the truyth other than its about money, them wanting more and you not wanting to pay it.

So that leaves a lot of LIVE motorsports coverage that we can no longer see. Why cant Rogers Sportsnet buy the content that was on the old Speed(FoxSports1) and show it on your 5 or 6 Sportnet cnannel - Surely they would generate more interest and revenue that 5 channels all showing poker at the same time?

Was the plan (or lack thereoff) to just abandon the motorsports fans after 17 years of that channel being on the air? Did you really think saying we could enjoy many of the other channels you provide was going to make millions of motorsports fans stop being interested in racing? It is mind boggling actually.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Even if they are shown delayed, I would rather have that than not see them at all. I think Sportsnet did something like that with a few sportscar races (ALMS at that time) two or three years ago and IndyCar qualifying shown at 11 pm or later. I vaguely remember hearing something like WWE or MMA is or was shown on Sportsnet 360 delayed by 15 minutes because the channel's licence limits the amount of live events it can air.

Schmoe
I've Been Here Awhile
if speed tv went off the air on all canadian cable and satellite networks, then maybe tsn would pick up the nascar trucks and the practice and qualifying and throw it on tsn2?
is this a realistic scenario (given there was interest on the part of tsn) or would there some regulation to block that too?
thanks for your answers

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

There's no CRTC regulation blocking it as far as I know, if that's what you're asking. But I would say it's probably not a realistic scenario. There isn't anything stopping TSN or Sportsnet from buying Canadian TV rights to it now. As I understand it, the "non-Canadian" channels like Speed can only air something in Canada if no Canadian channel wanted it. When Speed carried F1 before last year, Speed was blacked-out during live F1 races because they were on TSN in Canada, but Speed could show the Friday practice session without being blacked out because TSN wasn't interested in showing it. I doubt Sportsnet and TSN are going to pick up any of the racing programming presently on Speed, even if Speed ceases to exist in Canada. And you can pretty much see that by the ignorant explanations they've both given for dropping Speed implying that all the racing programming that matters to anyone is already on their own channels -- when of course, it is not.

[sarcasm] Gee, thanks Rogers -- another all-soccer channel. Just what we all wanted and needed. [/sarcasm]

And it's goodbye to you from me as of tomorrow morning.

East
I've Been Around

Apologies if someone's already suggested this, I haven't read through all 16 pages, but I would recommend getting a "Bring Back Speed!" cheer going during the AMA Supercross at the Rogers Centre on March 22. The irony of the Rogers Centre hosting the event, when Rogers customers can no longer follow their sport on any channel is too much. 

I agree that we pay enough that Rogers should not be dropping channels that I actually watch and have no counterpart that racing and car buff fans can go to as an alternative.  I enjoyed Nascar Race Hub enough to watch it fairly regularly and parts of other racing events as time permits.  Not sure why I have access to many channels in foreign languages I will never watch instead.  Yes, my parents are immigrants from a non-english speaking country in case someone wanted to jump on that is an issue.

Rogers should maintain access to Speed Channel until such time as it is replaced with something similar or better.

cips85
I've Been Here Awhile

Now that the Speed channel is no longer carried by rogers, will it be replaced by another channel in the sports theme pack I currently have?

It seems that Rogers does not have a contingency plan. Most viable businesses have these but I guess Rogers can afford to upset customers? I am a NHRA fan and rarely see any of these races. Now they can't replace with fox sorts 1 or espn etc. No wonder people pirate the US dish stuff? Don't know when we will ever see a Nascar truck race again either. Just another happy customer that Rogers chooses to ignore!!!

Its not just rogers..

Bell is droping the channel as well... and they have no replacement either.

At the time, bar one of them making their OWN station for it (or one of their already owned sports stations picking the stuff up), there is nothing they CAN pick up right now, as there isnt one, that is CRTC allowed.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

hmmm strange , got a message saying someone liked my last post - went to see whats new and the post is gone??? Dont tell me Rogers is deleting posts here like they did to their facebook page?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

They probably can't deal with competition, they want everyone held for ransom. Unfortunately that alternative isn't working at the present time, hopefully its a temporary problem.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello dougjp

They only remove posts if they the user does not follow the TOU ( Term of use). The post i think he is talking about is the one i posted in page 16 ( To his reply. )

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

hi Meowmix,

No that was one that was liked too  - this one I posted about an hour ago - got a pm saying it was removed because it was spam? All I said was I found a solution to seeing content that was previously shown on Speed. Craziness. All my posts regarding speed on Rogers Facebook page have been deleted and I have been banned from posting. This is absolutely rediculous. Their whole page is full of complaints about Speed. I finally contacted them via twitter @rogershelps to find out why I cant post. I was told I was banned for Rude and misleading comments? All I did was correct them when they kept telling people that the racing they are missing will be on TSN and Sportsnet.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

dougjp: its working fine - I cant give more info here because they obviously dont like me talking about that here.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Mikedem

Hmm i guess you must of said something that caused them to remove it? They do remove posts if they see it as spam ( it says it on their term of uses).

I agree this whole page is full of complaints about speed taken away & such. I for one am upset on that as well.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Mikedem, I received 8 notifications of new postings to this thread. Starting from the oldest one, two had disappeared, so it looks like someone is censoring posts here. I wish they'd pay as much attention to solving problems.

Something else I don't like about this forum is that the replies aren't chronological like all other forums. If someone replies to an old post in the middle of the thread, the reply is buried in the middle. This is page 9 of 17 right now. When I see a thread is bolded, meaning there is a new post and thenew post is not at the end, theoretically I have to go through 17 pages searching for "[ new ]" to find it.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Oldyellr.. that must be a setting that you changed.

By default.. the forum IS chronological.  I always see the new posts at the end of the thread.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah mine seems in proper chronological order also.