Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersSarah
Retired Moderator

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. We're always reviewing our packages and programming. I'll be sure to share your thoughts with our internal team.

Sarah

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm sure Rogers made up their mind weeks if not months ago about what they planned to do with Speed's replacement, Fox Sports 1. Nothing the customers say will change anything. So what will happen? Will we get FS1 in place of Speed, or lose yet another channel?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Like I pointed out in the first post, if you check the online TV listings that go two weeks ahead, we're getting something that is still called Speed but apparently has nothing except repeats of shows like "R U Faster Than A Redneck", "Wrecked", and the other non-motorsports shows. No more Speed Center, Wind Tunnel, or any actual racing (Any racing that survived will be on their Fox Sports 1 channel in the U.S.).

All of that is assuming Rogers and the other Canadian distributers put up with it. I assume they will get rid of or replace the lame duck Speed as soon as they can, but it may be easier said than done if they are contractually obligated to continue carrying Speed. 

FS1 will be an American general sports channel meant to compete there with ESPN and the NBC Sports Network, none of which are allowed to be distributed in Canada because of CRTC regulations that protect the Canadian sports channels.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I see on Zap2it after August 17 there's mostly redneck reality shows. It's too bad because I enjoyed Moto GP and WRC and the NASCAR road races. Of course, Speed TV has been going down hill for decades now.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, maybe one decade, not decades since the channel only started in 1996 (as Speedvision) and became available in Canada in 1997. I think Fox bought it some time in the early 2000s, and even then getting rid of all the motorsports programming was done gradually since then. It also had aviation documentaries when we first started seeing the channel in 1997, although I think those were gone after a year or two.

And yes, I would assume they probably must have known for some time what was going to happen, but refusing to tell us makes me think someone had something to gain by deliberately keeping us in the dark, and now it sure looks like it was Fox. For all we know, they may have said nothing to anyone in Canada and just hoped no one noticed when all of the remaining motorsports oriented programming disappeared as of 6 am ET on Saturday August 17.

Even if the Canadian distributers have ongoing contracts with Fox for Speed, hopefully they have some recourse to drop Speed instead of being forced to continue paying for a channel of nothing but reruns of shows outside of the genre of programming that got it onto the CRTC's list of permitted non-Canadian channels in the first place. I find it difficult to believe Fox would be allowed to get away with pulling this stunt. And the Canadian carriers -- Rogers, Bell, etc., -- deserve as much, if not more criticism if they do nothing and let it happen or attempt to polish this fox-dump of a channel with an idiotic press release extolling its virtues. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, back in the day, Speedvision was the go-to channel for motorsports. Now the important motorsports events, like F1, are carried by the major networks, so it won't be a big loss.

I Plan to Stick Around

The general sports channels don't carry much at all except for F1, IndyCar, and some Nascar races. I 've always had a lot more interest in watching racing, and watched a lot more of it than other sports when it was available. If we don't get a channel like one of the two I mentioned above, I don't think there's much point for me continuing to pay Rogers $120 a month (and that just shot up by over $30 a month for me in June with no explanation and me not subscribing to anything new). If I have to get home internet service to see what I want to see, I might as well get it from someone like Teksavvy and cancel TV service.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I know what you're saying. There's a lot more to motorsports than NASCAR, F1 and Indycar. Speedvision even had hydroplane and air races, that disappeared. Moto GP and WRC is some of most you'll ever see and there's a lot of sports car racing every weekend. Where are we going to find that now, Rogers?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Okay, here's the story from an insider (not Rogers, who are keeping mum on the subject).

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2013/08/06/what-speed-becomes-in-canada-on-august-17th/