cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Velocity is a cruel misnomer. Nothing against mechanics but what 'velocity' is there in garage show after garage show. What were they thinking, does anyone watch that stuff on a regular basis.

Our only hope is Motors TV. I actually wrote them a month ago, urging them to come to Canada.

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

Its ch 534.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks. Looks like a lot of the filler material Speed had and kids nature stuff before noon. Not exactly F1, NASCAR, WRC and Aussie V8 Supercars. Smiley Frustrated

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

Apparently Rogers is launching another racing related channel soon. Hopefully it'll have races and things like Speed did. Qualifying, practices.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

They are? Can you you at least provide a link or some details for this alleged new channel?

As far as I know, they can't just suddenly add a new channel out of thin air on a whim.

This mentions what we already knew about Motors TV, and also points out that the few new channels that have been added in recent years have taken a long time to get here.

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/news-notes-wwe-network-adds-providers-fan-590-upda...

Quote: "the CRTC would first have to approve the channel for carriage in Canada, and then each provider would have to add the channel to their lineup – something that could take months or years to happen (see: Big Ten Network, MLB Network). "

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

Its going back to Speeds channel 409 coming soon according to the Rogers rep. Its Fox Racing, they probably have been working on it for months since they got rid of Speed. If its Speed with a new name they wouldn't need CRTC approval would they? 

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

It's on!!

FoxSportsRacing. ch 409. Its showing Supercross right now. Daytona Practice later, Raceday, Nascar Duels. 

It looks like Speed back with FoxSports Racing as name!

Great news!

Just checked our TV here and channel 409 Fox Racing is showing Nascar!

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, 409 Fox Racing certainly does look like what Speed was before it disappeared.  We shall see. While I can get 409 and 534 (Discovery Velocity) right now with VIP, I've seen ads that the latter is free preview. If these are just teasers, it would be an outrage that Rogers would take programming away and then try to sell it back to us later.

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

this title should probably be changed to "it's back" or "it's been replaced"

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Lets see how this evolves, IF it does. The reason I say that is, this whole thing is illogical, it makes no sense. It could be a temporary test. Or it could be an attempt to charge money for the same thing that was included before.

Shaw Direct has recently announced the cancellation of SPEED on April 1. And as we all know, SPEED was cancelled on BCE, Rogers and Cogego last year. Cancel doesn't mean name change. There is no apparent reason for a name change, unless somebody bought the Canadian channel and has to use another name not trademarked by Fox? Has anyone confirmed the other two (BCE and Cogego) now have this "new" (same?) channel showing?

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around
I've been out of town all week. Just checked and I do have 409 foxsr in my guide. Says truck practice is on but I just have a black screen? Maybe a pvr Reboot?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Works for me. NASCAR RaceDay (5:00 - 7:00) on right now. I have an SA8300HD and VIP. No black screen.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah strange - just talked to rogers tech support and he was in Richmond hill and said Raceday was on. All I get is a black screen. But on 407 TSN2 - the guide says Nascar prerace but the show is in fact Raceday?? Maybe first day bugs to be worked out?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

It's RaceDay and shows the Speed logo in the top right corner. Basically, it looks like "Speed" is back in another form.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around
Still black in Ottawa. I have raceday on 407 but 409 is still black. Rogers actually called me back and asked me to try all pvrs and HD boxes in the house and wanted to know models numbers. It almost acts like a blackout. Does your tsn2hd have raceway on also?

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

TSN2 had a prerace 5-7 which was probably Raceday. FoxSR had Raceday 5-7 as well.

Is it all your tv's doing it? Maybe there's a problem with the Ottawa feed?

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around
Yeah the tsn prerace was Raceday. Yeah all TV's. 3 different model boxes too. Guy at Rogers said it was fine at his end. Trying to contact my brother and see if his is working.

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

Did it end up coming on for you??

the channel is back for good.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/fox-sports-racing-rebranding-speed-international-launch-feb-20-...

RogersDarrell
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey everyone!

As others have mentioned in this thread, FOX Sports Racing is indeed having a free preview on channel 409 (and it is a rebrand of the SPEED channel). See our Blog here

We don’t have any additional information such as pricing, packaging, or preview end-date, but as soon as we receive more info, we’ll post it here.

Enjoy the preview!

RogersDarrell

View solution in original post

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

still not working in Ottawa. Channel shows up as a valid channel and info bar at bottom shows whats on but a black screen - checked with several friends and family in Ottawa and thy have the same issue. I have 3 boxes and its the same on all of them. Just received an email from tech support as I created a ticket last night  saying the problem was resolved but it is still doing the same thing.