cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

If someone really was launching a new mainstream sports channel in Canada on Sept.17, I'm going to guess they would have told us about it by now. Not to mention they would have already gone through the process of applying to the CRTC and been approved. You know you can just check the CRTC website to see this kind of thing, right?

A new channel like that would not just suddenly appear overnight, certainly for a company like Shaw not already running their own sports channel, and would take a long time to set up. It would have to acquire programming, hire people, try to get carriage agreements from other BDUs with promos telling us to "call your cable or satellite provider", etc.

If this alleged new channel has any basis in reality, don't you think it's slightly odd that there is absolutely no mention of it anywhere else?

Edit: I just searched for and found that post on the Telus board. It looks like something left there by a clueless 10-year-old who should be prevented from using the internet by his parents.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm sure this would have been advertised by now if it was happening.

As far as what I am missing - i am probably ahead of the game now.

Motors TV is incredible. Watching same day tape delay of V8 Supercars is great.

FIA GT Series now call Blancpain Series is live HD stream on youtube this year

Eurovision and Sky F1 fill out the schedule - just missing a way to record it that all.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmmm... [sarcasm] I suppose this thread being on its 24th page backs up the contention that ALL the racing anyone would want to see is already on the other TV channels, right? Or, I suppose, it's just not the big draw for the number of potential paying subscribers like the other niche sports channels they've kept -- the fishing channel, etc. [/sarcasm]

Are you sure Blancpain GT is still available live on youtube in Canada? I know I watched some of Brands Hatch live, but then the next week it was geo-blocked when I tried to watch Silverstone, because of the new deal they had made with CBS Sports channel.

As for "missing a way to record it" -- a lot of it is archived to be available later anyway. And, most computers made in recent years have an HDMI (and/or VGA video monitor and headphone/audio) output connection that can be run into a stand-alone recorder, even if it may have to be put through a small video converter first. I already have an old stand-alone video recorder and considered getting a small converter (HDMI to SD video, or VGA to SD video), but I don't think I would use it very often.

Just to correct my post above because it won't let me edit -- you were right that Blancpain GT is on youtube. I'm watching the race from Paul Ricard in France now on the Nismo Channel on youtube, even though the actual Blancpain site is geo-blocked.

ckyriazis2006
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Guys

With the expansion of TSN to five channels I think we may have found our replacement for SPEED at least in a NASCAR sense. This Friday Cup practice is live on TSN2 the first Cup practice we have seen since Phoneix back in Feb. Cup qualfiying will be shown tape delayed at 11:30pm on TSN4 because of CFL. First since Talladega which was shown on FOX. The truck race will be shown live on TSN5 at 2:30pm on Sunday. The first we have seen on TV since Daytona thank goodness for YouTube I have been able to watch all truck races on there. As for TUDOR and our 2 wheel fans it is too soon to tell what they might do. I could see TUDOR shown tape delayed I don't think MotoGP or Super/Motocross will make it some races are shown on NBC for Motocross the rest you kind find on their Motocross website same goes for TUDOR all can be found on IMSA's website or YouTube.

Chris

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for your observations, .

On my Guide I now see all five TSN channels are available. I'm not particularly interested in in all the NASCAR except the Sonoma and Watkins Glen road races. However, I wopuld like to see the MotoGP, WRC and Australian V8 Supercars I used to get on Speed. Will be keeping my eyes open.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
that is great, a few months ago i made a "prediction" that The Sports Network aka TSN might be able to air some of the content that we lost from speedvision, glad to see its finally happening.

The Tudor United SportsCar Championship races can now be seen live in Canada on the IMSA website, imsa.com. That started with the race at Mosport/CTMP in July, after being blocked for Canadians prior to then. I assume this is because there are now few people in Canada who can still see the lame-duck Speed channel.
The archived TV broadcasts of the races are also still made available there about 24 hours after they finish.

ckyriazis2006
I'm Here A Lot

Hey Motorsports_Fan

That's weird I was never blocked from seeing the races from their website. I remember clearly watching the 12 Hours of Cautions excuse me Sebring on the site which links to youtube anyways on Monday two days after the race. I also remember watching Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Belle Isle (Fantasic Finish), Kansas, and Watkins Glen all with not being blocked I don't know if it was a glitch or I just got lucky.

We were always able to watch the archived TV broadcasts on imsa.com the next day after the race. What was blocked in Canada before the race at Mosport, at least for me and according to other comments I've read elsewhere, was just the actual live streaming on imsa.com of the Fox Sports broadcasts during the races, because the races were being shown on television on Speed in Canada, similarly blocked in US because races are shown there on television Fox Sports 1 or 2. We could prior to that (and still can) see live in-car camera views and hear MRN radio on imsa.com during the races. I know I looked at imsa.com during some of the races earlier in the year (after Daytona and before Mosport) and could only see the in-car views. I definitely remember watching both of the races from Laguna Seca live using my TV's picture-in-picture to be switching back and forth between Speed and the imsa website with its in-car views and MRN audio, particularly during the TV commercial breaks. I have Speed because I cancelled my Rogers services in March and have had another carrier since then that still has Speed.

Here is a link to the imsa.com news article before the Mosport race saying that the live streaming of the race will be made available in Canada for the first time.

http://www.imsa.com/articles/canadian-tire-motorsport-park-resource-guide

Quote: "Canadian fans will be able to stream the race on IMSA.com for the first time."

Since then I've only watched the live streaming, and don't watch Speed.

ckyriazis2006
I'm Here A Lot

So much for that guys. No truck race this weekend looks like putting the same CFL game on 4 seperate feeds is more important. I guess when it is not a Canadian truck race they don't give a care. Disappointed

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers didn't get the message at all. Adding a multitude of "sports" channels is a complete waste of bandwidth if they're just duplicates of the stick-and-ball stuff we already see. It actually confuses things, having to wade through them all and findiing nothing.

kso
I Plan to Stick Around

tsn said today they'll be airing truck series in 2015. They've already started added sprint cup practices and qualifying.

Nascar at least's programing that has been missing since Speed left will be picked all back up by the new TSN's.

Derflieger
I've Been Here Awhile

We really need a good motoring channel - racing (beyond NASCAR), rallying (huge following/series in Canada Rogers), air racing, car shows (and not these stupid shows like Counting Cars and Gas Monkeys). Or does Rogers simply not care??

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't believe Rogers really cares. The stick-and-ball sports for The Great Unwashed are the primary focus. It will probably take a move by the competition starting an exodus from Rogers to get any action.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I just read an anoucement that Motors TV is expanding to North and South America starting January 28th 2015. Sure would be nice to get that here. I drool over the coverage they have in Europe.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Not in time for the Rolex 24. 😞

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

The start of the Daytona 24 Hours will be shown on the Fox broadcast network -- WUTV Buffalo, etc.

I believe live streaming of the rest will be available to Canadians on imsa.com.

A lot of it will also be shown on Speed, which I think is still on Shaw and maybe one or two other smaller carriers in Canada.

That is good news about MotorsTV coming to North America. But I will reserve my excitement until I hear that it has definitely been picked up by some Canadian carrier that is available to me. Unfortunately the timing of this may be bad. It has become very difficult to get new channels carried by the Canadian carriers. Most "non-Canadian" (usually American) channels want some kind of guarantee that a certain minimum percentage of customers will be receiving the channel, but with new regulations probably about to require a more "pick and pay" type of system, the Canadian carriers won't give them that kind of deal anymore.   

Discovery world is changing to Velocity.

Discovery World is shifting gears to become Discovery Velocity, beginning Thursday, Feb. 12. Discovery announced today that the ultimate insiders club for viewers with a thirst for adventure debuts with an extended 48-day national freeview from Feb. 12 – March 31. As Canada’s only home for Factual Turbo programming,

Hopefully they will pick up more and more live motorsport programs.

http://www.discoveryworld.ca/Shows/Discovery-World-is-shifts-gears-to-become-Discover/Articles/Disco...

Regarding Discovery Velocity:

Bell is changing only the name of their Discovery World channel in Canada to now be Discovery Velocity. They're not changing the channel's licence or programming format. It's still an "adventure" channel, to use their term. You can see this by the description and list of shows they mention. The Patrick Dempsey thing is the only show related to racing. The Canadian version of Discovery Velocity channel will not be showing any actual motorsports coverage, not even the minimal amount on the US version of the channel, because that would require applying to the CRTC for a drastic change in the licence, which they are not doing.

So which channel is that on Rogers Cable and is it part of the VIP package, like Speed was? If neither, then it's pretty useless posting that here.