Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Keep in mind that this isn't strictly a replacement for Speed. Its a Sports channel. IF it keeps the live racing of FS1 AND FS2 which the existing Speed channel did on ocassion, fine. But count on it being FS1 only with kick boxing and 'stuff'. THAT I would never pay for, especially now that I have been exposed to the alternatives.

Repeating myself, what Canada needs is Motors TV.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

If someone really was launching a new mainstream sports channel in Canada on Sept.17, I'm going to guess they would have told us about it by now. Not to mention they would have already gone through the process of applying to the CRTC and been approved. You know you can just check the CRTC website to see this kind of thing, right?

A new channel like that would not just suddenly appear overnight, certainly for a company like Shaw not already running their own sports channel, and would take a long time to set up. It would have to acquire programming, hire people, try to get carriage agreements from other BDUs with promos telling us to "call your cable or satellite provider", etc.

If this alleged new channel has any basis in reality, don't you think it's slightly odd that there is absolutely no mention of it anywhere else?

Edit: I just searched for and found that post on the Telus board. It looks like something left there by a clueless 10-year-old who should be prevented from using the internet by his parents.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm sure this would have been advertised by now if it was happening.

As far as what I am missing - i am probably ahead of the game now.

Motors TV is incredible. Watching same day tape delay of V8 Supercars is great.

FIA GT Series now call Blancpain Series is live HD stream on youtube this year

Eurovision and Sky F1 fill out the schedule - just missing a way to record it that all.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmmm... [sarcasm] I suppose this thread being on its 24th page backs up the contention that ALL the racing anyone would want to see is already on the other TV channels, right? Or, I suppose, it's just not the big draw for the number of potential paying subscribers like the other niche sports channels they've kept -- the fishing channel, etc. [/sarcasm]

Are you sure Blancpain GT is still available live on youtube in Canada? I know I watched some of Brands Hatch live, but then the next week it was geo-blocked when I tried to watch Silverstone, because of the new deal they had made with CBS Sports channel.

As for "missing a way to record it" -- a lot of it is archived to be available later anyway. And, most computers made in recent years have an HDMI (and/or VGA video monitor and headphone/audio) output connection that can be run into a stand-alone recorder, even if it may have to be put through a small video converter first. I already have an old stand-alone video recorder and considered getting a small converter (HDMI to SD video, or VGA to SD video), but I don't think I would use it very often.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to correct my post above because it won't let me edit -- you were right that Blancpain GT is on youtube. I'm watching the race from Paul Ricard in France now on the Nismo Channel on youtube, even though the actual Blancpain site is geo-blocked.

ckyriazis2006
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Guys

With the expansion of TSN to five channels I think we may have found our replacement for SPEED at least in a NASCAR sense. This Friday Cup practice is live on TSN2 the first Cup practice we have seen since Phoneix back in Feb. Cup qualfiying will be shown tape delayed at 11:30pm on TSN4 because of CFL. First since Talladega which was shown on FOX. The truck race will be shown live on TSN5 at 2:30pm on Sunday. The first we have seen on TV since Daytona thank goodness for YouTube I have been able to watch all truck races on there. As for TUDOR and our 2 wheel fans it is too soon to tell what they might do. I could see TUDOR shown tape delayed I don't think MotoGP or Super/Motocross will make it some races are shown on NBC for Motocross the rest you kind find on their Motocross website same goes for TUDOR all can be found on IMSA's website or YouTube.

Chris

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for your observations, .

On my Guide I now see all five TSN channels are available. I'm not particularly interested in in all the NASCAR except the Sonoma and Watkins Glen road races. However, I wopuld like to see the MotoGP, WRC and Australian V8 Supercars I used to get on Speed. Will be keeping my eyes open.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

that is great, a few months ago i made a "prediction" that The Sports Network aka TSN might be able to air some of the content that we lost from speedvision, glad to see its finally happening.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

The Tudor United SportsCar Championship races can now be seen live in Canada on the IMSA website, imsa.com. That started with the race at Mosport/CTMP in July, after being blocked for Canadians prior to then. I assume this is because there are now few people in Canada who can still see the lame-duck Speed channel.
The archived TV broadcasts of the races are also still made available there about 24 hours after they finish.

ckyriazis2006
I'm Here A Lot

Hey Motorsports_Fan

That's weird I was never blocked from seeing the races from their website. I remember clearly watching the 12 Hours of Cautions excuse me Sebring on the site which links to youtube anyways on Monday two days after the race. I also remember watching Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Belle Isle (Fantasic Finish), Kansas, and Watkins Glen all with not being blocked I don't know if it was a glitch or I just got lucky.