cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

To be fair, I can understand them not wanting to tell us about their private business negotiations. They only have to tell us a month ahead of time if a channel is going to be dropped. For all we know, perhaps they actually did talk to Motors TV and/or the Speed Channel from Australia and were unable to work out a deal satisfactory to both sides. Or maybe there were technical problems about providing a separate feed for Canada. Maybe they considered starting their own new motorsports channel and came to the conclusion that it was not financially feasible. We don't know and they don't have to tell us.

But I agree that what Bell and particularly Rogers did and said (or saying nothing for many months last year, even when we asked) does not look good, like they weren't paying attention and just don't care. In January of this year, when Rogers announced they were dropping Speed and not replacing it with another motorsports channel, Norris McDonald wrote, "I’ll tell you here and now that it’s for no other reason than the guy (or woman) in charge doesn’t like auto racing." If that's true, then the person in charge should be fired for letting their own strange attitude get in the way of business decisions.

I assume the potential number of subscribers for a motorsports channel is not in the same league as TSN, but since Speedvision/Speed was here (and still is, I suppose) since 1997 means there must be enough to justify such a channel, particularly if there is a fishing channel and other presumably narrowly focused niche channels. Look at the price people pay for Sportsnet World and that new beIN Sports channel. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I think there must be enough of us who would be willing to pay that much for a worthwhile motorsports channel like the two I mentioned. It doesn't make any sense that the attitude of someone in charge at Rogers or Bell would be "I don't want your money because I don't like racing".
I don't watch fishing, golf, or most of the hundreds of other channels offered, but if I was in charge of making the decisions at Rogers I don't think it would cause me get rid of those channels if they made money. 

You have to consider that before its final demise on Rogers, Speed was a watered-down version of what it was just a year before. Wind Tunnel was gone. WRC nowhere to be found. Most of the meat had been replaced by a collection of reality shows. Let's hope that this is not what Rogers thinks would serve as a replacement motorsports channel.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

I would also agree that there is no American motorsports channel that is any where near being as good as Motors TV.

The Speed channel Fox is still sending to Canada is not worthwhile, and Discovery Velocity and MavTV have very little actual racing from what I can see from the schedules on their websites and what is mentioned on their wikipedia pages.

The Speed channel from Australia would appear to be largely similar to Motors TV in its programming, and if Motors TV is now available in HD, I think there would be little to choose between the two of them. I think sometimes there may be some events that are seen on EuroSport in Europe and thus not on Motors TV, while they may be seen on the Australian Speed channel. But then if one of these channels would become available here in Canada, presumably it would be a separate feed that would occasionally be showing different programming here. I think Motors TV already does that for some different countries in Europe.

My fear is that the people in charge at Rogers, Bell, etc., don't care and don't pay attention enough to understand any of this, and just automatically follow whatever happens in the U.S. thinking that any U.S. channel must be more suitable for Canadian viewers (assuming they were even aware of the other non-American channels). I have nothing against any of those American channels I mentioned and maybe there are some who would be interested in their car-collector and automotive type of shows, but they are not motorsports channels. 

ckyriazis2006
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Guys

I have been keeping my eye what has going on. Over on the Telus forum there is a man claiming that Global and Fox are working together to bring a Canadianized version of Fox Sports 1/2 to us called Fox Sports Canada. He even gave a launch date of Sept.17th I have contacted Global and the CRTC to find out if this true. If it is and I hope so since I haven't seen a truck race or qualfying/practice since Martinsville this should solve all of our current problems with NASCAR coverage and help out our 2 wheel Canadian fans. Fingers Crossed

Chris a Canadian NASCAR fan

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

That sounds encouraging, provided it is free to customers who previously received Speed, and not an extra cost item. I would not appreciate Rogers taking Speed away from me and then trying to sell an equivalent channel back to me.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario