Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Good points. I also think it's apparent they were not seeking feedback and had no intention of acknowledging it. Now they even seem intent on eliminating any comments that point out their factually incorrect assertions.

Since they list no e-mail address to contact them but they do list a mailing address, I actually mailed (only time I've done that in the last 18 years) a letter I printed out to Rogers on this subject, about two or three months before I started this thread. Needless to say, I did not receive a response or any acknowledgement they received it.

Requesting feedback would have involved asking questions along the lines of:
Which motorsports/automotive oriented channel would you prefer to eventually replace Speed in our channel line up?
Would you be willing to pay $__ a month for such a channel if it was not available in the same package(s) as Speed Channel has been?
What racing events or series would you like to see aired on Rogers Sportsnet channels?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Mikedem, I'm not so sure about your other assertions, but agree 100% with the last one. WRC is also gone and Wind Tunnel was axed after Fox took over Speed. But then Speed started to go down hill years ago when they discontinued hydroplane and air racing. It seems that the down-hill slide of TV programming began with the advent of reality shows.

But the main reason we can't have Fox Sports 1 is because it encroaches on Canadian sports channels. The CRTC won't allow it.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
jcoll120
I've Been Around

The thing about SPEED not being allowed becase of the Canadian regs is WRONG. Cogeco and Shaw cable as well as Shaw dish all list Speed in Canada. I hate using a dish and Rogers is only cable in my area

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jcoll120 wrote:

The thing about SPEED not being allowed becase of the Canadian regs is WRONG. Cogeco and Shaw cable as well as Shaw dish all list Speed in Canada. I hate using a dish and Rogers is only cable in my area

Nobody has said SPEED isn't allowed due to regulations. SPEED is very much allowed in Canada.  In fact, Fox broadcasts a special Canadian version of SPEED because it no longer broadcasts in the US.

In the US, SPEED converted to Fox Sports 1.  Its FS1 that has no Canadian broadcast rights.

The issue witn SPEED is money.....Fox wants to charge more than Bell and Rogers want to pay.  My guess is that when Speed's contract is up with Shaw and Cogeco, it'll disappear from their lineups as well.  Fox doesn't want to spend the money for a Canadian only SPEED, and the Canadian distributors don't want to pay enough to make it worth Fox's time to do it.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Let's keep this thread alive.

I only get a Rogers bill in the mail when there's a change, or an announcement. This month's bill had this at the end:

Information about your Rogers services

AUTO RACING PROGRAMMING WITH ROGERS
Rogers is committed to offering great value and a wide variety of programming, and we
continue to add new services to your channel lineup all the time. As a reminder, Speed
Channel is no longer available effective March 1, 2014. If you are interested in motorsports
and/or auto racing series, please note that other networks, including Sportsnet and TSN,
offer a terrific selection of exciting racing programming.If you wish to respond to this notice
or, if you have any questions, please contact us in any of the ways listed on page 2 of this
invoice or visit rogers.com/serviceupdate. We appreciate your business and thank you for
choosing Rogers.

So, it looks like Rogers has noticed our complaints about dropping Speed. However, their remedy is pretty lame.

"please note that other networks, including Sportsnet and TSN,
offer a terrific selection of exciting racing programming"

Really? All the other sports channels offered by Rogers do not come close to showing what Speed did. We have been short-changed.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

I just saw that. They keep telling us to leave them feedback but seem to block anything after you mention it once. The people on the phone have no info, @rogershelp will not respond and I can no longer post on facebook. The explanation I got was I posted 3x in 2 weeks on their page regarding Speed back in January and they consider that spam so I have been blocked from posting. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't twitter, but perhaps that would be a better place to voice your dissatisfaction with Rogers' non-replacement of Speed. As far as I know, Twitter posts are not censored. 

ckyriazis2006
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Guys

Read on another forum yesterday someone spoke to Bell. According to Bell they are trying to get Fox Sports 1 starting in August.

Chris

Kiwi7
I Plan to Stick Around

I could be wrong, but I think that Fox Sports 1 must first apply for a broadcast license in Canada which then must be approved through the CRTC which is a failrly long and drawn out process. Until that happens Bell and any other provider will not be carrying FS1!

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah I doubt that will happen anytime soon. What they should go after is Motors TV. I have an HD stream now on my android based media player and it is 10x the channel Speed ever was. Pretty much everything I am missing from Speed is there plus more. Most programs stream with 3-6 languages also. Was able to watch 6hrs of Silverstone 2 weeks ago and all of the United Sportscar series race this past weekend. They even air Sprint Cup qualifying. This stream runs @ 4GB per hour though so make sure you have unlimited bandwidth. 

also the Blancpain GT series - (FIAGT series) now does live HD streams of all there races on youtube with John Watson doing commentary. Great coverage.