cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

yeah I here you. I did see some F1 coverage in HD but I think that may have been Sky Sports F1 not MotorsTV now that I think about it.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Tomorrow night in Toronto is the AMA Supercross event. I wonder what the attendance will be like considering it is the first major series that we have lost coverage of to happen? Irionically its at the Rogers centre.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: [Quote from Gdkitty in Deutsche Welle thread]

" ... guessing they have speed still?... hopefully they dont drop it as well."

Yes, Vmedia still have Speed, but only in standard defintion, and they won't say for how long, and they were only one I could get now with it since satellite service is not an option for me. But at least I'll probably see Le Mans in June and other stuff, and can now watch other racing on the internet even if I eventually drop the their TV service. It will be the first time I've had home internet service, other than the $2.95 a month dial-up, and now I'll have it and all the TV channels I want for less than I've been paying just for the TV service from Rogers.

bloo66
I've Been Around

yes.......please add a Nascar or motorsports channel to your sports package for all 3 series.....truck, nationwide and sprint....and bring back Race Hub.

Not fair how almost every other major sport is represented on Rogers but yet not Nascar.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

bloo66, and anyone else who would like Rogers to do something to get a motorsports channel back, your best bet is to contact Rogers directly on their Facebook page or Twitter to voice your concerns.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

rodniron
I've Been Here Awhile

over and above missing out on a good channel( my go to channel) they are still charging us for speed and not replacing it with any other channel.if we cant get speed any more,THEN GIVE US OUR MONEY BACK OR REDUCE OUR MONTHLY BILL NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. or give us a choice of a free channel . i will be looking for another provider as fast as i can. big corporations thumbing  there noses at the people that pay there so inflated salaries

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rodniron

How are they charging you for speed as its a part of your cable package... The only way they would be charging you is if you added the Speed channel alone & got charged for that channel only..  Bell is taking down Speed May 1st if not a bit earlier ( from what i heard from Bell's head office). Other cable providers will bring it down too. So in the end you won't get it or go with a cable provider & then lose it. Then what? There isn't much choice after that so you are basiclly going to start from the start agian

If you wish & think you are intittled to a discount . credit per month because you think you are supposed to get one, contact Rogers via Live Chat, Facebook.com/Rogers & Twitter @RogersHelps. See if they will do something for u.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I think what was getting at is Speed disappeared, nothing equivalent replaced it, but there was no proportional reduction in price. Sort of like suddenly finding the contents of a case of beer reduced to 23 bottles, but no drop in price. It is a big issue for motorsports fans and I'm sure Rogers is feeling the heat.  Let's hope the issue gets resolved soon.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello OLDYELLR

I know what rodniron was getting at. The problem is that they won't reduce the price due to one channel coming off. If a customer wants a discount or credit due to the channel coming off per say, they can contact Rogers & ask for one. It won't be a big discount or credit just for everyone to be aware. It will be a small little one as the channel most likely would have cost $2-$5 if that.

I do hope the issue is resolved but seeing it now, its not only Rogers having this issue. Rogers can add a channel dedicated to Motorsports & F1 races & such tho. They just need to get the rights / agreements & such. Things we have no clue about as this is all done behind the scenes & takes time. With all the demand they see, i am sure they can.

rodniron
I've Been Here Awhile

i paid for apackage with speed in it, and now i dont have speed, i bought that package at a price for that reason only. rogers has not come to me and said since we are taking speed away your package will be reduced by  $00.00 dollars a month. So are they not still charging me for something i am not getting.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello rodniron

The package & price includes all channels, not just speed. So the price in total is for all channels / packages u get. You can contact Rogers via Live Chat, Facebook.com/Rogers & Twitter @RogersHelps. See if they will do something for u. Maybe they can give u a small credit or discount because of it.

rodniron
I've Been Here Awhile
read my last post

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rodniron

I already did. Now if you read my lost post, you will see if you contact Rogers, they might be able to do something for you. I have a few people that contacted Rogers & were able to get a discount off their monthly bill due to it.

I was going to contact my self Rogers & try to get one but never bothered doing it as to be its not really a big deal even tho i am a big F1 fan & loved the shows on Speed.

I do wish they can bring us a channel tho

rodniron
I've Been Here Awhile

i do agree with you. it was'nt just one channel it was THE CHANNEL. So if we have to pay for a premium channel then rogers should give us a premium channel in exchange or just make it right. thanks

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rodniron

You do not need to agree with me as we all have our own opinions on this matter :).

I do agree with that. If they can offer us a premium channel because of losing this channel that would be great as well. This is a great suggestion tho!.

The forums on here are user to user. Best place to put this would be on their Facebook Page or Twitter page.

You could also put this suggestion in the IdeaBox the forums have. The staff will check it out, talk to the back end team & see what will happen. Responses won't be immideeatly tho. It will take time to get one back.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Word of warning on their facebook page - I made my dispeasure know since January about this on their facebook page. I posted 3x and now have been banned from posting on their page. I inquired via Rogers and was told I was blocked for SPAM posts? I guess voicing my displeasure at their decision is considered spam? So now I can only communicate via phone of twitter but they just ignore the twitter messages most of the time.

luckily I have an HD Fox Sports 1 and Motors TV feed to see most of the stuff I was missing from Speed so my anger has subsided a bit. Still mad I had to go and find a solution instead of it being on my cable box like it should be.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Mikedem

They do have rules & policies of spamming the same message over & over or if they already answered your first post, no need to keep making new ones. Bell, Telus & all companies have this exact same rule on their Facebook & Twitter pages as they do not want spamming. You may not see it as spamming but they do.

It sucks that the CRTC & others won't allow the cable providers to have their own motorsport channel per say. We all need to voice this & hopefully they do something about it.

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

I'll try putting this in other words since my last post was deleted for allegedly being off-topic, I think along with someone else's post I was backing up by relating my own similar experiences.

None of the racing coverage that has been on Speed during the last year has been picked up by TSN or Rogers Sportsnet. That is simply a fact. Anyone saying otherwise is incorrect.

If you believe this statement is incorrect, please point out what racing coverage from Speed Channel in the last year has been picked up by TSN or Rogers Sportsnet for 2014.

I see absolutely no new motorsports that have been picked up by TSN or Sportsnet for 2014. The motorsports they are carrying are the same ones they were carrying last year. Rogers viewers are now simply unable to see the racing coverage that they were seeing on Speed Channel, and others are still seeing if they have another carrier that still has Speed Channel.

I wonder if posts are being deleted because this is supposed to be a help forum, not a complaints or advocacy forum. Nevertheless, customers keep coming here to voice their concerns about the demise of Speed and no equivalent replacement. In view of that, let's keep this thread going, if only to redirect people to Rogers on Facebook and Twitter, where the complaints should be made.

It's not for nothing that Rogers displayed an apology screen on after taking down Speed. They want your feedback. Remember, the customer is always right.

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Ha ha, they want our feedback? Thanks for the morning laugh. The purpose of that apology splash page was clearly to diffuse and eliminate a good volume of feedback. And clearly they knew in advance that this decision was for their financial benefit despite being hated by people who watched Speed.

The proof of this to me is the fact that, with some 8 months of lead time where obviously this orphan channel wouldn't exist due to FS1 and CRTC, nothing has been said about any possible replacement program(s). Not even any feedback has been sought about which program(s) would be liked as an alternative. 

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

Fact - Speed in US changed over to FS1 in August 2013- most if not all race programming still available to US viewers on FS1

Fiction - Speed was discontiinued in US last year. - Rogers version

Fact - Programming still available from Fox

Fiction - The US supplier has discontinued the programming - Rogers Version

Fact - AMA, Nascar Trucks, Race Hub, BTCC, WTCC,  V8 Supercars, FIA GT and much more no longer available.

Fiction - Racing content available on TSN, SN and City - none of the above series available on these stations.

edited for content