Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Yeah right. Sales types have no scruples. They will say anything. I think the partially true answer is on Page 15 of this thread.

Kiwi7
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersElise wrote:

Hello all.

I realize that all motorsports fans here are very disappointed and I wanted to assure you, the decision to take off Speed was not taken lightly at all. We heard you all talking passionately about Speed Channel since the first bill notices arrived. Last year, the operator of the channel decided to stop making Speed Channel available to the majority of TV customers in the United States too.   

Why do you keep telling customers that the operator of the channel decided last year to no longer make Speed Channel available to the majority of television customers in the United States? It is in fact available; just re-branded as Fox Sports 1. The majority of customers in the U.S. can in fact continue to receive the programming - just under a different name. "Although marketed as a re-launch of Speed, Fox was required to re-negotiate its carriage deals with the television providers to carry the new network due to its change in scope. There was uncertainty over whether Fox Sports 1 would have sufficient carriage on launch, as it had not yet reached deals with three of the United States' four largest television providers (DirecTVDish Network, and Time Warner Cable) only a month before its launch. However, all three finally agreed to terms three days before the scheduled launch."

The issue is that Fox Sports 1 is not licensed in Canada so the operator of the channel has continued Speed as an International channel so that it can continue to be carried in countries like Canada. The main reason why Rogers is no longer carrying Speed is because Speed did not agree to a reduction in carriage fees as requested by Rogers.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Kiwi7 wrote:

Why do you keep telling customers that the operator of the channel decided last year to no longer make Speed Channel available to the majority of television customers in the United States? It is in fact available; just re-branded as Fox Sports 1. The majority of customers in the U.S. can in fact continue to receive the programming - just under a different name. 

Not true. Fox Sports 1 is a generic stick-and-ball channel that includes some of the more popular motorsports in the U.S.like NASCAR. No way is it a dedicated motorsports channel like Speed was. We get stick-and-ball sports out the wazoo and don't need any more. What we need is a dedicated motorsports channel.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Kiwi7
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Not true. Fox Sports 1 is a generic stick-and-ball channel that includes some of the more popular motorsports in the U.S.like NASCAR. No way is it a dedicated motorsports channel like Speed was. We get stick-and-ball sports out the wazoo and don't need any more. What we need is a dedicated motorsports channel.

"For 18 years, it’s been our honor and privilege to present motorsports and automotive-related programming to you on the network that began as Speedvision, became Speed Channel, and is now known as Speed. From the visionaries who started this network, from maintenance to management, from the talent to the truck drivers, we’ve shared your passion for motorsports over lo these many years. We love that you care as much about your cars as family, God and country. And so do we. But now, it’s time to switch off the ignition and turn in the keys. This is the end of Speed in America. We hope you’ll follow us on our new journey to Fox Sports 1 because all your favorite live NASCAR programming and much more is coming along with us. So now, it’s goodnight and farewell to America’s motorsports authority – Speed."

While Fox Sports 1 may not be 100% dedicated to motorsports, it will continue to broadcast programming that was previously carried on Speed  - in the U.S. "For viewers in Canada, as well as the Caribbean and Puerto Rico, Speed was not converted to Fox Sports 1. The exact reasons for this have not been confirmed, although in the case of Canada, it is not clear whether Fox would have had the ability to make such a change given that Speed's Canadian authorization was based on it being a motorsports-based network . The version of Speed available in these areas continues to carry various NASCAR and other motorsports events, as well as related studio programming, mostly simulcast with their U.S. broadcasts on Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2."

Bottom line is that viewers in the U.S. will continue to receive programmimg offered by Speed on Fox Sports 1, even if it is not a dedicated Motorsports channel. Viewers in Canada could continue to receive the same programming if Speed International was continued to be carried!

Hodrob
I've Been Around

I am surprised yet no that Rogers did not approach the CRTC knowing Speed channel was going to be dropped by Fox Sports and apply to be allowed to carry it. We read about these things happening and one would think that to maintain a customer base and keep them happy they would be or have been proactive in getting to show any or all of the FoxSports Channels.

I honestly thought the only thing the CRTC was having blocked where possible was the commercials from US based programing but I'm thinking I am incorrect in that assummtion.

Other than working to raise the fees charged to us by going to the CRTC does Rogers do anything to promote themselves to their customers in cases like this? I've not read or hearding anything sooooooo.....

I am very disappointed with Rogers over this and honestly waying my options all around.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Redeye

Yea until May 1st. What are you going to do then when it comes off? Speed It being taken down by Bell as well.
In the end even if you go to Bell, In 1.5 months the channel will be taken down & you will be upset as well.

Do what you must but remember, always review their reviews & what people say

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

FYI: in 2011, the CRTC *denied* an application by Rogers to add FUEL TV, since rebranded as Fox Sports 2, to the Canadian cable lineup. Their reason: the type of content it would show overlapped with/would compete with content shown on RadX and other Canadian channels.

Given that Fox Sports 1's content description is (according to Wikipedia) as follows:-

Fox Sports 1 airs an array of live sporting events, including college sports (most notably Pac-12 Conference and Big 12 Conference football, and Big East Conference basketball), soccer matches (including the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, CONCACAF Champions League and Copa Libertadores), UFC mixed martial arts, and a variety of motorsports events such as NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and United SportsCar Championship. FS1's schedule will include Major League Baseball and FIA Formula E Championship in 2014, whereas coverage of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and United States Golf Association championship events will start in 2015. FS1 also features daily sports information, highlights, and discussion programming (with Fox Sports Live serving as the centerpiece), as well as sports-related reality and documentary programming.

. and the vast majority of that is already available on Canadian sports networks (which inicdentally are owned by Bell and Rogers), RadX, or other channels, it seems highly unlikely that an application for FS1 will be approved.

The other issue that most of you are ignoring is the issue of broadcasting rights.

Fox Sports, for example, may have negotiated for the rights to broadcast a particular sport in the USA, but they would have to pay more to also get the Canadian broadcast rights. There's no guarantee that they would do this, and in fact they may not be able to do this if a sporting organization already has a Canadian contract in place with a Canadian channel. So even if FS1 was available in Canada, it might be blacked out much of the time.

I complain about Rogers all the time, but they're really not to blame for "the problem".

I blame the CRTC... and not because of their rules, but because they allowed Speed Channel to operate in Canada for over 10 years when the programming premise on which the licence was granted had changed. Had the CRTC pulled the licence all those years ago, perhaps we might be watching Motors TV already.

Mississauga
I've Been Here Awhile

Does any body know how I can watch MotoGP races this summer?!!, Man , I have bad luck, my favorite station is gone.
CraigC
I Plan to Stick Around

To add insult to injury, the ever so great (NOT) Rogers has now dropped SpikeTV from their regular package and from what I understand but can't find on their website, is that you have to buy an additional package for an additional $6/mth to now get that channel.  Sure it wasn't a great channel but it was one that did carry the Power Nation series wich was 4 car/truck DIY TV programs which use to be named something else when it was available on SPEEDTV.

What we all should do is get an American address, look on the internet on how to do that, and then drop Rogers or Bell and get DirectTV.  SInce the CRTC has allowed Rogers and Shaw to own Canada with no compitition except for Bell therefore creating money hungry giants who just don't give a . about their cusotmers.   DirectTV has much better channel offerings and we can give the All Controlling CRTC and thumb to the nose and make our own decisions on what we want to watch and pay for rather than 50% of the tv offerings being some crappy Canadian content.   Sorry my fellow Canadians but we are not good at creating quality TV or Movies and I just am fed up with paying for poor quaility but expensive entertainment.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

WHile i will agree, its bad that spike was moved... the spike move, did happen quite a while ago.. summer time?