cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

For several months now I have been asking Rogers, SpeedTV, and others what we in Canada will see after August 17th on the channel that has been known as Speed or Speedvision since we started receiving it in 1997, and failed to receive an answer. TV listings for August 17 and later have now made it apparent that we will be receiving an even more watered-down version of what we have been getting in recent years.

Fox in the U.S. bought this channel several years ago, and has been intentionally working to kill it off by removing more and more of the motorsports programming from this formerly motorsports oriented channel, replacing it with car collector, game and 'reality' show programming. Now even that will be continuously repeated loops of old shows, with very little or nothing that is new. Their intention has been to start their own general sports channel to compete with ESPN in the U.S., and now to attempt to force the American cable and satellite carriers to replace Speed with the new Fox general sports channel. The U.S. carriers who have not yet signed on for that new channel will continue to receive the pointless and almost entirely non-motorsports Speed channel as a punishment for failing to agree to pay for the new Fox Sports 1 channel.

Yet this punishment channel appears to be what we will continue receiving in Canada. Surely there must be something about this that fails to conform to their contracts with Canadian carriers, if not CRTC regulations regarding permitted non-Canadian channels, and could lead to it being removed and hopefully replaced as soon as possible?

Note that the Fox-owned Speed channel in Australia has remained very much a motorsports channel.

www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sports/whats-on/

And most of Europe including Britain has a motorsports channel (not owned by Fox) called Motors TV.

www.motorstv.com

Please, as soon as possible, replace the Speed channel we presently receive with one of these or another motorsports channel if others exist.

***Edited labels***

282 REPLIES 282

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

dougjp
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah right. Sales types have no scruples. They will say anything. I think the partially true answer is on Page 15 of this thread.

Kiwi7
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersElise wrote:

Hello all.

I realize that all motorsports fans here are very disappointed and I wanted to assure you, the decision to take off Speed was not taken lightly at all. We heard you all talking passionately about Speed Channel since the first bill notices arrived. Last year, the operator of the channel decided to stop making Speed Channel available to the majority of TV customers in the United States too.   

Why do you keep telling customers that the operator of the channel decided last year to no longer make Speed Channel available to the majority of television customers in the United States? It is in fact available; just re-branded as Fox Sports 1. The majority of customers in the U.S. can in fact continue to receive the programming - just under a different name. "Although marketed as a re-launch of Speed, Fox was required to re-negotiate its carriage deals with the television providers to carry the new network due to its change in scope. There was uncertainty over whether Fox Sports 1 would have sufficient carriage on launch, as it had not yet reached deals with three of the United States' four largest television providers (DirecTVDish Network, and Time Warner Cable) only a month before its launch. However, all three finally agreed to terms three days before the scheduled launch."

The issue is that Fox Sports 1 is not licensed in Canada so the operator of the channel has continued Speed as an International channel so that it can continue to be carried in countries like Canada. The main reason why Rogers is no longer carrying Speed is because Speed did not agree to a reduction in carriage fees as requested by Rogers.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Kiwi7 wrote:

Why do you keep telling customers that the operator of the channel decided last year to no longer make Speed Channel available to the majority of television customers in the United States? It is in fact available; just re-branded as Fox Sports 1. The majority of customers in the U.S. can in fact continue to receive the programming - just under a different name. 

Not true. Fox Sports 1 is a generic stick-and-ball channel that includes some of the more popular motorsports in the U.S.like NASCAR. No way is it a dedicated motorsports channel like Speed was. We get stick-and-ball sports out the wazoo and don't need any more. What we need is a dedicated motorsports channel.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Kiwi7
I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Not true. Fox Sports 1 is a generic stick-and-ball channel that includes some of the more popular motorsports in the U.S.like NASCAR. No way is it a dedicated motorsports channel like Speed was. We get stick-and-ball sports out the wazoo and don't need any more. What we need is a dedicated motorsports channel.

"For 18 years, it’s been our honor and privilege to present motorsports and automotive-related programming to you on the network that began as Speedvision, became Speed Channel, and is now known as Speed. From the visionaries who started this network, from maintenance to management, from the talent to the truck drivers, we’ve shared your passion for motorsports over lo these many years. We love that you care as much about your cars as family, God and country. And so do we. But now, it’s time to switch off the ignition and turn in the keys. This is the end of Speed in America. We hope you’ll follow us on our new journey to Fox Sports 1 because all your favorite live NASCAR programming and much more is coming along with us. So now, it’s goodnight and farewell to America’s motorsports authority – Speed."

While Fox Sports 1 may not be 100% dedicated to motorsports, it will continue to broadcast programming that was previously carried on Speed  - in the U.S. "For viewers in Canada, as well as the Caribbean and Puerto Rico, Speed was not converted to Fox Sports 1. The exact reasons for this have not been confirmed, although in the case of Canada, it is not clear whether Fox would have had the ability to make such a change given that Speed's Canadian authorization was based on it being a motorsports-based network . The version of Speed available in these areas continues to carry various NASCAR and other motorsports events, as well as related studio programming, mostly simulcast with their U.S. broadcasts on Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2."

Bottom line is that viewers in the U.S. will continue to receive programmimg offered by Speed on Fox Sports 1, even if it is not a dedicated Motorsports channel. Viewers in Canada could continue to receive the same programming if Speed International was continued to be carried!

Hodrob
I've Been Around

I am surprised yet no that Rogers did not approach the CRTC knowing Speed channel was going to be dropped by Fox Sports and apply to be allowed to carry it. We read about these things happening and one would think that to maintain a customer base and keep them happy they would be or have been proactive in getting to show any or all of the FoxSports Channels.

I honestly thought the only thing the CRTC was having blocked where possible was the commercials from US based programing but I'm thinking I am incorrect in that assummtion.

Other than working to raise the fees charged to us by going to the CRTC does Rogers do anything to promote themselves to their customers in cases like this? I've not read or hearding anything sooooooo.....

I am very disappointed with Rogers over this and honestly waying my options all around.