Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Even if they are shown delayed, I would rather have that than not see them at all. I think Sportsnet did something like that with a few sportscar races (ALMS at that time) two or three years ago and IndyCar qualifying shown at 11 pm or later. I vaguely remember hearing something like WWE or MMA is or was shown on Sportsnet 360 delayed by 15 minutes because the channel's licence limits the amount of live events it can air.

Schmoe
I've Been Here Awhile

if speed tv went off the air on all canadian cable and satellite networks, then maybe tsn would pick up the nascar trucks and the practice and qualifying and throw it on tsn2?
is this a realistic scenario (given there was interest on the part of tsn) or would there some regulation to block that too?
thanks for your answers
Motorsports_Fan
I Plan to Stick Around

There's no CRTC regulation blocking it as far as I know, if that's what you're asking. But I would say it's probably not a realistic scenario. There isn't anything stopping TSN or Sportsnet from buying Canadian TV rights to it now. As I understand it, the "non-Canadian" channels like Speed can only air something in Canada if no Canadian channel wanted it. When Speed carried F1 before last year, Speed was blacked-out during live F1 races because they were on TSN in Canada, but Speed could show the Friday practice session without being blacked out because TSN wasn't interested in showing it. I doubt Sportsnet and TSN are going to pick up any of the racing programming presently on Speed, even if Speed ceases to exist in Canada. And you can pretty much see that by the ignorant explanations they've both given for dropping Speed implying that all the racing programming that matters to anyone is already on their own channels -- when of course, it is not.

[sarcasm] Gee, thanks Rogers -- another all-soccer channel. Just what we all wanted and needed. [/sarcasm]

And it's goodbye to you from me as of tomorrow morning.

East
I've Been Around

Apologies if someone's already suggested this, I haven't read through all 16 pages, but I would recommend getting a "Bring Back Speed!" cheer going during the AMA Supercross at the Rogers Centre on March 22. The irony of the Rogers Centre hosting the event, when Rogers customers can no longer follow their sport on any channel is too much. 

racingfan55
I've Been Around

I agree that we pay enough that Rogers should not be dropping channels that I actually watch and have no counterpart that racing and car buff fans can go to as an alternative.  I enjoyed Nascar Race Hub enough to watch it fairly regularly and parts of other racing events as time permits.  Not sure why I have access to many channels in foreign languages I will never watch instead.  Yes, my parents are immigrants from a non-english speaking country in case someone wanted to jump on that is an issue.

Rogers should maintain access to Speed Channel until such time as it is replaced with something similar or better.

cips85
I've Been Here Awhile

Now that the Speed channel is no longer carried by rogers, will it be replaced by another channel in the sports theme pack I currently have?

Kingdart29
I've Been Around

It seems that Rogers does not have a contingency plan. Most viable businesses have these but I guess Rogers can afford to upset customers? I am a NHRA fan and rarely see any of these races. Now they can't replace with fox sorts 1 or espn etc. No wonder people pirate the US dish stuff? Don't know when we will ever see a Nascar truck race again either. Just another happy customer that Rogers chooses to ignore!!!
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not just rogers..

Bell is droping the channel as well... and they have no replacement either.

At the time, bar one of them making their OWN station for it (or one of their already owned sports stations picking the stuff up), there is nothing they CAN pick up right now, as there isnt one, that is CRTC allowed.

Mikedem
I Plan to Stick Around

hmmm strange , got a message saying someone liked my last post - went to see whats new and the post is gone??? Dont tell me Rogers is deleting posts here like they did to their facebook page?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor