Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Please replace Speed with a motorsports channel

We all know an organization like Rogers doesn't do anything on a whim.  If Rogers isn't replacing Speed, then the ONLY conclusion that can be drawn is that there's a spreadsheet somewhere that says it isn't worth it to them.

Bell probably has the same SS...otherwise they'd be announcing a replacement for Speed.....

Not saying you shouldn't lobby for a new mosports channel, I just think the market isn't as big in Canada as you think it is...

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Kiwi7 wrote:

There does seem to be a lot of confusion out there regarding Speed. While Speed is now defunct in the U.S., it is not defunct in Canada. While acquired by Fox and now known as Fox Sports 1 in the U.S.,  for viewers in Canada Speed was not converted to Fox Sports 1. This is most likely because Speed's Canadian authorization was based on it being a motorsports-based network .

There was also an interesting article in The Star yesterday. Apparently, Speed did not ask for an increase in rates; just the opposite in that Rogers asked for a decrease in rates. Speed balked and so the channel is now gone.

http://www.wheels.ca/news/rogers-kills-the-speed-channel-because-they-can/

I assume Bell asked for the same reduction, as they're dropping the channel in May.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers Screen

It's pretty clear that Rogers is seeking input from customers. Usually when a channel is dropped or moved, you just get some fine print at the end of your bill and the change just appears. I've never seen this kind of message on the screen before. I'm sure if Rogers gets enough customer feedback they'll do something to rectify the missing motorsports coverage. If not, another BDU will step in and get Rogers' dissatisfied customers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well everyone has an opinion, and if you feel better thinking "It's pretty clear" and "I'm sure" etc., then good for you.

I think its irrelevant and only indicates they knew in advance this was not going to go down well, nothing more. Those of us who wrote comprehensive letters to Rogers weeks ago and never got a response, and have followed this thread since it began over six months ago with zero communication about any progress in this (the Subject Line) regard, are probably right in thinking their money grab is all this is about. Someone mentioned Rogers programming people seldom or never come here, I also believe that to be true.

And think about it, SPEED is gone. If Rogers had any plans in the works, it would be in their interest to say something about it before lots of customers leave. There a small window for Rogers, many people are awaiting clarification of Shaw Direct's SPEED contract and I'm sure its the same with the other providers (except Bell). All of those people except the Bell subscribers are gone once any positive information is out there. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Shaw create advertising around this, as it appears there will be another round of defections to pick up from Bell at the end of April.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I don't remember seeing something like that screen before. I think Rogers greatly underestimated how many viewers would be upset at the missing motorsports coverage, even with as little of it as is now left on Speed. Strange that this thread is now on its 13th page, for a channel and sport someone here tried to call "fringe". Rogers had better act quickly if they want to stop losing those customers. Even though I assume the Speed Channel we now get from the US will likely disappear before much longer, I'm probably ordering Vmedia next week, since I can get the same TV channels and home internet for slightly less than what I now pay Rogers just for TV (the only internet I now pay for is $2.95 a month for dial-up). As someone else pointed out, I should probably thank Rogers for causing me to explore the other available options.

And by the way, it seems Bell may now be waffling about dropping Speed, saying they have to give at least a 30 day warning, but also underlining that "the removal is not 100% confirmed".

And unlike Rogers, at least one person at Bell knows the names of the racing series they mention in their announcement.

I'm a Senior Advisor

dougjp and Motorsports_Fan, all the other provides, as well as Rogers, are only interested in the bottom line. Dissatisfied customers are par for the course. If they all conspire together to reduce motorsports coverage, what's the customer to do? Even if Bell lags behind dropping Speed, people don't just up and switch providers on a whim because many have other services bundled and grandfathered plans they don't want to lose. It's also a big, expensive hassle if you have your own hardware. Cable and satellite TV is a goldmine for the providers because there is pretty much a captive audience. Only in some large urban centres can you get more than a tiny handful of OTA channels and those don't include the specialty sports channels.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

People aren't switching "on a whim". They are switching because that's what they have to do to be able to see the sport they watch, even if it is an annoying inconvenience and may involve having to buy new equipment.

And I think there's some at Rogers and elsewhere who don't seem to understand how many there are. Just as an example, there was a crowd of 50,000 at Mosport on the Sunday of Labour Day weekend last year to see the Nascar Truck Series race, a crowd roughly the same as a sell-out at the Rogers Centre. How often is Rogers Centre sold out? Not too often. Even the NFL has failed to sell out the last two years in its once-a-year game at Rogers Centre, one of them featuring the Seattle Seahawks who would win the Super Bowl a little over a year later. And the Truck Series is not the top Nascar series, but third behind Sprint Cup and the Nationwide Series. Can you imagine a crowd of 50,000 people showing up for whatever league is below the Toronto Marlies (is it the ECHL - I don't even know)? And Mosport is in the middle of nowhere and more difficult to get to, not just a short walk away from Union Station. And by the way, that Nascar Truck Series that draws 50,000 southern Ontario race fans to Mosport was seen on TV only on Speed, not on Sportsnet or TSN.

I Plan to Stick Around

OLDYELLR, I agree, most people are like rabbits munching on lettuce and not moving while the big elephant is doing a dump on them 😄 Then there are race fans!

I don't know the extent of the effect of NASCAR talking head shows and truck qualifying/racing that has disappeared from the tube, as there are other NASCAR division races still on TV. My guess is the truck series has a huge following, even more now that there is a race up here, and so those fans are over the top upset. However if you are a sports car racing/Aussie V8 Supercar racing fan, then the screen has gone black and your hobby has been completely destroyed by this.

Truly fanatical fans see these corporations that did this to them as the enemies, and inconvenience + costs are easy to take if it means (a) getting the hobby back and (b) taking revenue away from them. So yes, unlike the average TV viewer, these people will leave. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I understand how fans would be frustrated at this.. and would want to switch, to somewhere that has it..

I just hope.. that too many dont get just as stuck by doing so 😞

From the sounds of bell will be droping the channel as well.. seems like they are asking too much money for the channel, for what is left on it (asking full content price, for only 1/2 content)... and seems like rogers, bell, etc dont want to pay it.
How soon will any of the remaining drop it as well?

Not saying anyone SHOULDNT switch... but make sure to do your research first.. SCOUR around for info first before going anywhere/chaning.
No point, is potentially paying FEES to get out of your current potential contract, etc.. switch companies, new hardware, etc... just to find them doing the same there shortly 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

I have been to 4 of the last 5 Sebring 12hr races. Been to countless Nascar /Indycar events, have worked on a stock car team for nearly 20 years and travel to many race tracks as a spectator to watch road racing every year. Most if not all of this at my own expense. Clearly I dont mind paying for my interest/hobby. 

Nobody asked me to pay to keep this channel. If this were to have become a speciality channel with a monthly cost I like would have grumbled a bit but there would have been no question whether I would have payed. Of course I would have in the blink of an eye.

On another note. Over the past 20 years or so you go to any short track/road course in the country and likely see a Speed TV crew. They were local crews hired to film the events. Much of it was during Speeds hayday and shown at odd hours but they were the ONLY network to be filming these events. Pretty big deal to the participants and spectators at these event. This gained them alot of respect and admiration in the community for sure, thus the outrage over the loss. I dont think for one minute it will ever go back to that but it is some background to the amount of sadness this channel is causing.

To have 4 Sportsnet channels and SN360 all sometimes showing the same program and not have had a plan in place to takeover showing the live events that Speed carries is just criminal IMO. Its all about the $$$ and not "occasionally changing our line up to ensure the best programming for our customers"